I bought 100 sticks of hardiplank in the late 90's with the plans of residing my garage. It has (haha) a 50 year transferable warranty, American company...plus they had a piece of siding sitting in a jar of water on the counter at the store which they claim was there for 5 years. It was expensive, but hey, 50 year warranty. What could go wrong.

Well I went to (finally) put it on and it crumbles to dust. Way to fragile to use. I call the company and I have to fill out papers, send pictures, find the original receipt (yeah, who has that 18 years later- but I did!!). Then they call and deny the claim, saying because it wasn't installed, they won't honor their 50 year warranty. They say it would have to have been kept in dry storage for them to honor it.

I told them the lumber store keeps it in a bottle of water and they claim it's still warranted! I told her to send me the warranty info from the 90's, she promised she would, but never did.

Hardiplank makes a great product, but when they boast about their warranty and standing behind it, it is a big lie!

Review about: Hardiplank Siding.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $700
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with James Hardie Siding?

Comments

It's pretty obvious by your picture that the product wasn't properly stored, nor should it have been left sitting around for 15 years. You are way out of line to expect them to replace the product you abused.

#811984

If you went and bought 4 new Firestone tires for your car, brought them home, and then laid them down uncovered outside for 18 years would you expect them to perform on your car as the day you bought them? ALL materials need to be handled appropriately and when treated and used in the fashion a manufacturer tells you most materials will perform as indicated. When one doesn't follow directions or read the warranty, well, there will most likely be an issue.