Inline Tile and Stone...shoddy work and abandoned job when going got tough.
Inline Tile and Stone, license #789209, (aka Inline Kitchen and Bath), both owned by Duane Borad, charged me over $80,000 for shoddy work, incomplete work, and then abandoned the kitchen and bath remodel job after he screwed up the bath plumbing..
My very first clue as to what was forthcoming was the "light blue concrete" Borad ordered for the driveway. I now have a "two-tone" driveway. I should have cancelled the job right then.
The CSLB cited Borad for ten violations, including: didn't get permits; didn't have workmen's comp for workers; no 3-day notice to cancel; departed from building standards; no written contract; no written change orders, etc. Shoddy work includes kitchen window installed crooked, warped kitchen cabinet (Ikea) doors, no (required) GFCI outlets in kitchen; bath GFCI not installed properly and doesn't work; bathroom plumbing hot/cold water lines crossed in bath (and kitchen); water temperature control valve in bath shower failed, shower fixtures not sealed to tile, no water temp control, and no water shut-offs for the vanity sink.
I have three independent estimates at about $6,000 to get the bath plumbing repaired (it requires tearing out a wall in two places). Borad is offering less than $500, which I'm sure he thinks is very generous. (I gave him over three months, after I paid him, to fix the bath problems.)
Borad also charged for changes that don't exist, such as: repairing hall outlets (there are no outlets in the hall); charged for 4 "pot hangers" when there are no pot hangers.
This contractor also refused to correct the hot/cold water pipes in the bath and repair the water temp controller in the shower. He had OVER THREE MONTHS after I paid him in full, and then some. (His accounting was faulty.) This means he ABANDONED the job.
There was a weak un-signed contract for the bath but no written contract or change order for the kitchen, hence a lot of items that would normally be in a contract were "left out," such as window trim, floor transition strips, tile trim between the tile and the drywall in the bath, and baseboard. Since they weren't in the contract, and there was no written change order for the $56,000 kitchen, some of these items became unwritten and unapproved change orders. Other change orders, like the tile trim, window trim, and floor transition strips were simply refused by me because by then I'd had enough.
Because of the unwritten change orders the original cost of $68,700 for the bath and kitchen was over $80,000, some of which I refused to pay because of shoddy work, abandonment, and absolutely no formal accounting.
I must warn consumers that the California Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) is virtually useless when it comes to "admonishing" licensed contractors. They go out of their way to protect them and generally just "slap them on the wrist." Yes, they did cite and fine Borad but his fines were minimum, and, on my side they grossly underestimated the bath repair cost. The bonding company, SureTec, is even worse. The consumer must prove absolutely 100% that the contractor is at fault, yet, in my case, the contractor has absolutely NO PAPERWORK to show what he did, and my claim is being flushed down the toilet.
Borad has two favorite sayings: "You didn't pay for that" and "My computer crashed..."
Check this company's license (#789209) violations before you hire him. You should not have to endure the hassle and headaches that I have endured with the CSLB and SureTec bonding company for the past 18 months.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality, damaged and defective, poor customer service (CSLB & SureTec)
- Preferred solution:
- Inline Tile and Stone needs to refund a minimum of $8,330 the cost of repairs and overcharges.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Bathroom Remodeling
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We paid a handsome price to have our parking lot Tar & Chipped rather than re-pave which is considerably more expensive. The product did not hold up and within a couple..."
- "I can't tell you just how devastating it is to invest so much time, money and emotion into building a home only to have it all ripped away simply for..."
- "hello to everyone here I wish there would be somekind of class action suite against them there are complaints everywhere my story is I bought a home from clayton homes..."
- "Well I took my shih tzu in for his haircut came back to get him wasn't great but didn't care I took him to a petsmart so I didn't expect..."
- "I went to sunoco on sheridan dr and military rd as usually do 2 minutes from my house ,to get breakfast coffe etc i had my 2 yr old with..."
- "Order flowers all the time for the Villages. Wanted to try a local florist, so I called AVAS and ordered flowers over the phone. Mike suggested a vase with an..."
- "Teleflora is a scam! First picture is what I ordered online. Second picture is what was actually delivered. Do NOT waste your money!..."
- "Today at Jo-Ann Fabrics, I tried to buy Scotch Tacky GLUE at 25% off because the ad said "ENTIRE STOCK Glue and Adhesive 25% OFF". I was told at..."
- "Purchased this couches at jeromes furniture in chulavista on 02/2016. First week stitches came off jeromes send a tech. 2nd time paint came off of the couch. Third visit all..."