My wife and I built a new home last year and upon completion hired a local Hunter Douglas rep to install ( cellular shades ) window treatments.They looked beautiful when first installed, but I mentioned to the installer that two of the shades ( 5x7 ) were too heavy for the lifting mechanisms.

She assured me they would be just fine. Well here we are 14 months down the road and the lifting strings ( and they are strings not cords ) inside the the lifting mechanism have broken twice in one and once in the other. They have both pulled off of their plastic mounting brackets ( one was cracked in half )at least once due to the force required to raise them. Installer came out and reattached them.

The first time one of the strings broke I called the installer and she came out and restrung it for no charge. A couple months down the road and it breaks again and was told it would cost $75 to restring again. Mind you these are only 14 months old. I told her I would have to think about it.

Now the second one has broken and the same $75 charge would apply to restring it. I told her how disappointed we were with these shades and so she contacted Hunter Douglas and was told it would cost us $1400 to replace the two shades. Unacceptable! According to their warranty normal use is not covered.

Basically if you use them and something breaks it's not covered under warranty. What a joke. I took them both down and replaced them with shades from Blinds.com for a fraction of the cost and they look just as good as the Hunter Douglas which were more than 3 times the price and they come with metal mounting brackets not cheap plastic ones. Btw, the lifting mechanism in the new ones is silky smooth to operate.

I will never buy another overpriced Hunter Douglas product.

Review about: Hunter Douglas Duette Shades.

I liked: Was ok until my blinds started breaking strings.

I didn't like: Unsatisfactory resolution for defective product.

1.7
Style and Design
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Warranty issue / $1400
Preferred solution Full refund

Had an Experience with Hunter Douglas?

Comments

Leduc, Alberta, Canada #1200701

The blind in the picture is definitely not a HunterDouglas blind.I can tell by the headrail and the cheap look of the fabric.

I own HunterDouglas cellular blinds so I know.

Leduc, Alberta, Canada #1200691

This is a paid review from blind.com obviously!What he's saying about the cord not covered under warranty is completely a lie.

I've own HunterDouglas blinds for years and they very great being stand behind their products.They recorded for me under warranty with no charge.