Burgaw, North Carolina

I purchased a beautiful aqua Huffy 3 speed womans cruiser bicycle 2 weeks ago from Wal-Mart - everything seemed to work smoothly until this morning.I went on my morning ride in my neighborhood, and while I was going downhill I noticed a slight movement in the handlebars - then suddenly the handlebars came lose and collapsed, making the bicycle totally uncontrollable.

Lucky that it was early in the a.m., no traffic - I started to fall on the road but leaned very hard to the right so I would land in the marshy area. There was no warning that this was about to happen. I inspected the handlebar - which was secured with 2 allen-type screws - apparently one had loosened, making the handlebars pitch forward. One of the photos I've attached is the metal shavings that were under the clamp nut.

I walked the bike home 2 miles, got out my camera and took pictures.

I have a 3 year contract, but will be taking this bike back for a refund - tightening the screws will only be a temporary fix. This is a bicycle that I see alot of children and older people in the coastal area of North Carolina ride. It's a bit terrifying that this can happen, without warning.

Lucky that I was strong enough to force the bike to fall in a better direction than the asphalt - or in front of a car.This is a very dangerous design that needs to be looked into before more people are injured.

Review about: Beach Cruiser.

I liked: Beautiful retro design, Great colors, Decent price.

I didn't like: Potential rolling death trap, Handlebars that collapse without notice, Complete loss of control of bicycle.

5.0
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Huffy Bicycle
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Bad quality / Not specified
Preferred solution Let the company propose a solution

Had an Experience with Huffy?

Submit review

Comments

Be first to start a discussion.