HERITAGE FOR THE BLIND IS Fraud DO NOT DONATE TO THEM

4 of 4 Heritage For the Blind reviews

Update added by user Oct 23, 2013

After almost 6 months they finally mailed me my tax papers.I was also waiting for their free hotel offer.

Yes they sent it to me but now I have to pay $14 to validate it and then I have to $200 to make a hotel reservation.

They say that $200 is refundable but after what happened I do not trust them any longer.

bottom line is you are better off to sell your old car for very cheap instead of donating it.It was too much stress for me.

Original review posted by user Sep 10, 2013

We wanted to do something good, so we called the "HERITAGE FOR THE BLIND" and donated our BMW 2001 to them. The car was in a good running condition, no body damages, clean interior, bottom line the car was in a good condition.

They came and picked up the car and told us they will send us the tax papers in a week. We donated our car on April 2013, today is September 2013, after 5 months they have still not mailed us the tax papers. Yesterday I received the registration renewal for the car so I emailed them asking what is going on and each time I email them they are telling me they have put the car for sale and they are waiting for the highest bid.

Anyway, in short I think I handed my car to bunch of fraud they operate under HERITAGE FOR THE BLIND. Be carful , do not give them donation, I don't know what happened to my car, they probably sold it for parts and pocketed the money.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 49 Yes 49 16 No 16
Had the same issue 64 Yes 64
4 of 4 Heritage For the Blind reviews

Jun 02, 2016 #1167881

Thanks for this comment, I too am looking to donate my daughters car and will not be donating it to this company. Sorry that this has happened to you.

0 1 Reply

Jun 02, 2016 #1167773

I am having the same issue. The pickup and paperwork is done. No mailed in forms nor is anyone answering the phone. This is bs!

Nov 24, 2015 #1069162

I donated my car on the 16th, and now heritage for the blind is saying they cannot find my car. They made the arrangements to come to my house and have it picked up. I've called all of the numbers on their website and the personal number I got in the beginning and every time I call, the phone calls always end with "call ended" Are we the blind, considering we don't see the scam coming? This place is a JOKE

0 0 Reply

Aug 26, 2015 #1025389

Agree with this. My father donated his car in April 2015 to Heritage for the Blind. Numerous calls, faxes, and emails have gone unanswered. It's not Aug 2015 and no tax documents for a tax deduction. DO NOT DONATE TO THIS CHARITY.

ripped off

Feb 03, 2015 #940440 Virginia, United States

I hope these people go either to *** or jail soon they should be ashamed of there selfs praying on the blind and people with disabilities!!!!!!! Rot in helllllllllllll!!!!

ripoffed

Feb 03, 2015 #940435 Virginia, United States

These people are crooks they say they will give you vacation but that's a lie they just want to steal your car don't trust them I hope they can live with there self plus they don't give that money to the needy they pocket it and take there vacation....liers!!!!! Stay away croooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solace

Sep 03, 2014 #864960 New York, New York, United States

We lived in Louisiana for a short while. When we returned to NY we decided to donate one of our cars since unlike LA, NY has mass transit & no real need for two cars. We called the Heritage for the Blind toll free # & after many questions, arranged to have the car picked up. We did everything that was required for legal "out of state" title transfer & release from liability. Two months passed & no official letter verifying our taxable donation. It's now 3 months since the car was picked up & we've yet to receive a legitimate IRS Taxable Deduction document or anything indicating when we will be receiving the advertised & promised "3-day Vacation Trip Voucher for two adults for anywhere in the continental U.S." Had we known that we were about to become victims of a scam, we would had rather given the car to a local auto-mechanic vocational training school. At least knowing for sure that kids would gain practical hands-on skills towards future job security would had made the donation worthwhile & emotionally gratifying. Next time we will contact the IRS Charitable Information Department directly for a legitimate & updated listing of registered 501 (c) 3 organizations. In the meantime we will be contacting the local fraud by deceptions branch of the FBI & filing a title transfer search with the State Dept. of Motor Vehicles- Registration Bureau to see whether or not a sale has taken place & if so, to whom the car was sold & for how... Show more

3 0 Reply
Franky

Jun 02, 2016 #1167775

I bet you work for them...

LennyB

Jul 30, 2014 #848625 Houston, Texas, United States

Don't use donation car centers, EVER! VERY little money ever gets to the charity. Sell it your self and donate the cash DIRECTLY to what ever charity you want, and make sure it ALL goes to that charity. Try selling via www.cashforcars.com or www.1800cashforcars.com or www.copartdirect.com

3 0 Reply
beware of this organization

Jul 28, 2014 #847217 Brooklyn, New York, United States

I had a similar issue with this organization and I suspect they are FRAUDS.
I donated a working Volvo station wagon whose interior/exterior was in great condition.
They stated that the car would go to auction and I would receive the auctioned amount as a tax deduction.
The car was picked up late one afternoon, and the following day the organization issue my tax receipt. Upon further inquiry I learned the tax receipt they sent me was based on a 'projected value' for the car and not an actual auctioned amount. It would seem that a charity would do everything in its power to obtain the best price for a donated car. My guess is that this non-profit HERITAGE FOR THE BLIND is a fraud and operates in concert with whomever buys and sells the donated cars..
This organization is surrounded by red flags. BEWARE.

2 1 Reply
Mark

Jan 04, 2014 #768398 San Francisco, California, United States

Always make sure that you properly transfer the title to charity so you are no longer listed as the registered owner. Notarize the title transfer. You made a serious mistake of giving up the car before the paperwork was done. Once they have the car, you have no leverage.

The Web is full of horror stories of people donating cars, not transferring title or messing up paperwork, and then getting thousands of $ in parking tickets or other violations mailed to them 6 months later. It takes only minutes of "googling" to find out how to do it right and, most importantly, how NOT to do it.

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.