Camden, New Jersey
1.2K views 30 comments
100% full Not resolved

I do NOT believe the ashes I received back from Pet Meadows Cremetory (in Hamilton, NJ) are in fact the ashes of my 12 pound Pomeranian, Missy. This place proved to me that they are unethical by calling my vet (Banfield in Deptford, NJ) and divulging personal information that was discussed between them and myself.

I called Pet Meadows asking if Missy was still there because I wanted her body back to be examined by an expert since I KNOW she would NOT have died on 11/25/14 if I didnt take her to Banfield.

Pet Meadows called Banfield and told them I changed my mind about the cremation and wanted Missy's body back to be examined. They informed Banfield of my entire conversation and Banfield documented it all in my dog's records. Pet Meadows told me Missy was already done and was being returned to Banfield later that day.

What if she really wasn't done yet and they just told me that and scooped out some random ashes and put them in a bag then in a wooden box with her name on it? After all, I am sure they would not have wanted to give her back to me. Also, since Banfields are their biggest clients, of course they wouldnt want me to take her body to an expert to be examined.

I learned they had done this when I picked up my dog's records and saw the notations Banfield put in there about Pet Meadows calling them and informing them of my conversation. It said they wanted to let them know that I had changed my mind about the cremation and wanted her body examined by an expert. Why the *** did they need to tell Banfield that??? Especially if she was already done???

Also, after reading as to what is involved in a pet cremation, I learned that you do NOT get the entire body back in ashes, just the bones are ground into ashes. There are too many ashes in this bag to be just the bones of a very small dog. Missy was supposed to be cremated PRIVATELY, not along with other pets, and JUST her ashes returned to me.

They gave me back ashes in a nice wooden box with a gold metal plate inscribed with her name, which obviously cost them money. After comparing prices to numerous other pet crematories, the going rate for a PRIVATE cremation with your pet's ashes returned to you is around $300. I was charged just $71 for this service.

I STRONGLY believe that this unethical place burned my dog along with other pets and just scooped out some ashes and put them in a box with her name on it. I cannot take comfort in knowing that I have MY dog's ashes and I wanted to have a customized diamond ring made from the carbon in her ashes. I HIGHLY doubt these ashes are Missy's.

I am beside myself with grief, not only because Pet Meadows partner vet, Banfield in Deptford, NEGLIGENTLY KILLED my dog, but I cant even find comfort in knowing that she is with me in this wooden box because I HIGHLY doubt that she is. I am completely DEVASTED by this and I hope others will avoid this place.

I posted on Craigslist how unethical this place was by calling my vet and how I suspected this is not exclusively my dog's ashes. Someone who no doubt works for them posted a response on Craigslist boasting about this place and raving about how they have a gathering every year and invite you there with food that they pay for "out of their own pocket".

SERIOUSLY??? Who would WANT to go there every year for a party and dinner? They may provide a necessary service, but I would be sick to my stomach just stepping on the property. NO WAY IN *** would I want to go have a pizza party at the place that burned my dog's body! (Or whatever kind of food they have) That is just GROSS and SICK! That's like having a dinner party in the morgue.

I do NOT believe I got what I paid for, which was MISSY to be done privately and not thrown into some pile and burned along with numerous other deceased animals, like a pile of trash. I paid for MISSY, and JUST MISSY to be returned to me, which I HIGHLY doubt is the case.

I am in the process of looking for a DNA testing facility that is capable of testing pet's remains. In the meantime, since I am almost POSITIVE this is not her, at least not exclusively, I would like them to refund my money for the service I paid for, which will be donated to the Big Hearts Fund, a pet charity to help owners with pets with heart disease (like Missy) be able to afford their care. They can contact me for the address and they can send the refund directly to the charity, in Missy's memory.

I am prepared to cause a LOT of bad publicity for this place if they dont do right by Missy, and do SOMETHING to honor her memory in a good way.

My question is...Where's Missy?

How many other people "THINK" they have THEIR pet, but don't really? This is such a HORRIBLE thing to think about. For only $71, Missy could not have been done by herself.

If you live in this area in NJ, please use Paws To Heaven instead! I guess you really do get what you pay for!

I WOULD have paid the $300 to have her done privately, if that is what it had cost. I should have known that for $71, it would't be Missy. I was just too overcome with grief and shock to think straight.

I pray to God this IS my sweet Missy, it's just doubtful!

Review about: Pet Cremation.

I didn't like: Unethical.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Problem with delivery / $71
Preferred solution I want the money I paid ($71) for Missy's PRIVATE cremation donated to the Big Hearts Fund, an organization that helps owners of pets with heart disease, like Missy be able to afford treatment. This is such a devasting diagnosis for any pet owner to hear.

Had an Experience with Hamilton Pet Meadow?

Submit review

Comments

you are not alone. I visited the grounds of the crematory I used for my pet and what I found was beyond aweful. I took video, went back the next day with witnesses. All of which, myself included, work as veterinary technicians. I filled a complaint, called the EPA, the state, the county health dept. What it got me was a restraining order filled against by the crematorium owner, and upheld in Circuit Court. I never even spoke to her, never threatened her, only filled a complaint against her business. See, she works part time for animal control so, the county protected her. I know you are hurting. I feel the same.
weloveparrots
OMG I am so sorry! I had inquired at the time of her death, which has now been almost 2 years if DNA can be done on a pets ashes and was told no. However, I HAVE found places now that CAN determine at least if all of the ashes are from the SAME dog. So I am planning to see if there is a mixture of other animals in the bag and see if there were multiple dogs done at the same time. People have called me crazy for even thinking such a thing, but there are articles all over the place about pet cremetories doing unethical things and not doing dogs individually when they are supposed to. My biggest reason to doubt them is because Banfield told me it would take 2 weeks. Then the exact day I call them to ask for her body back so I could take it for a necropsy, they told me she was already done and being returned that day. Then after they told me that, they called Banfield "to alert them" that I wanted her body back and make sure "they" didnt change THEIR mind. It was MY DOG! Plus they claim to protect your privacy and they didnt. They told Banfield my entire conversation because I saw Banfields notes about it in my dogs records. Banfield KILLED my dog. I one hundred percent know that. They didnt want to give her body back to me to be able to prove it since Banfield is their biggest client. So they scooped up some ashes put them in a box with her name on it and sent it to Banfield. In my heart, I truly believe this isnt Missy. So I cant take any comfort in knowing she is with me.... Show more
to Anonymous Paterson, New Jersey, United States #1236382
I'm fairly certain that you are thinking of a different crematory/cemetery. No one at Pet Meadow works for an animal control and no restraining orders have been filed. I'm sorry that someone in the cemetery profession has given you problems, but it was not Pet Meadow.
You are a nightmare of a person and a complete psychopath.
Gloucester Township, New Jersey, United States #961503
The poster is Michelle Miller . She is the most vile, unstable excuse for a woman ever. She spends her days doing exactly what you see here. You can't tell this woman nothin. If Einstein were still alive and explained that e=mc2 she would still dispute it. The best way for every person or company to deal with her is to ignore her. I'm sure all the law enforcement/courts in the area know what a flake she is and pay her no claims no attention. For someone "disabled" she sure has computer skills . So why can't you work Michelle? Why don't you contribute to society instead of living off tax payer dollars, and blasting everyone online ? Then again I'm sure no one in their right mind would hire you. I'm sure you would delude a way to sue them for something or another. Michelle you are a lonely, severely disturbed woman and it's time to get a new hobby . You are a bully because no one likes you . You got picked on all your life and you have turned into them. Leave all these hard working people alone.
mi
to Anonymous #963781
Well if you know her I hope you report her to cps if she has kids and to the humane society if she has animals.She is a textbook case of Munchausen by proxy and I fear for the well being of any children or pets in her care.And I also hear the vet killed herself over this and on her facebook she is very happy about that.Some people need to be locked up for others safety and she is surely one of them.
to Anonymous Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #966008
You (Anonymous from Gloucester Township) sound far more vicious and insane than the original poster. She simply sounds overwhelmed with grief and doubt is a very natural part of the grieving process. She originally did not name anyone by name, but then you did. I don't know who you are or what your motives are, but the woman who lost her dog is suffering and you just seem hateful.
To the woman who lost her dog, I am sorry for your pain. Cherish your dog's memory and not the ashes. Obviously you loved her and did the best you could for her and she knew that. I hope in the future you can save another animal from a shelter and continue to find love and companionship.
mi
to Anonymous #966907
I did try to be nice I really did but this has been going on far to long.Sure I said the same nice things to her at first also.But as I read on I found out how completely bent she really is.Click on her name and see all her other complaints and you too will see what I see.She is a chronic complainer.She is full of drama.She bullied a vet until the vet killed herself.A persons life is worth way more than a dogs life.She got evicted from her section 8 apt. for selling drugs.She buys a house in another state sight unseen then complains about that.She buys so many cars then complains about that.What I see is someone having alot of money to throw around for being on ssi.Makes me wonder where it all comes from.lawsuits,the taxpayers?
simple sandy
to mi #967607
How you spend your money is our business since we the tax payers are supporting you.Why can you not get a computer job since you are online all day?When you have a job then we will not care how you spend your money but now you are spending ours.Get a job.
Crymeariverforthisbitch
to Anonymous Montreal, Quebec, Canada #969282
Actually no this Michelle Miller woman started all the naming. On her very first post about Banfiekd she public ally named both vets that she accused of malpractice and murder without waiting for the vet board to tech their official verdict!!! She even put their photos that she stole from their Facebook pages all over her vile websites. She 100% deserves to be treated with the same lack of respect for her personal info. Maybe then she will appreciate what a horrible thing it is she has been doing to those two vets. I hope those poor vets layers go all over her Facebook to get her info to sue her.