10.8K views

I went to the West Hollywood Hair Club (formerly Hair Club for Men) for a consulation for their biomatrix non-surgical hair system. I once wore a hair system 13 years ago and not much has changed, although they were the first to tell me how much technology has changed and the systems are completely undetectable.

Within minutes the Consultant that is there to help me weigh my options for their services they have available, including their hair transplants. The first thing she did before anything else was to take picture of my hair in every angle possible, which I saw as a useful tool for her to talk about their services available, but I get into why this has come back to haunt me later in this complaint. Erika, the consultant (sleazy salesperson), for Hair Club in West Hollywood, asked me my budget and what I was looking for. I explained to her I was ideally wanting a hair transplant and gave her my budget.

She told me that I should go with the non-surgical procedure because they are closer to my budget. What she didn't tell me was I would most likely benefit more long term from a transplant like I found out recently given my hairline and the direction I was losing my hair. Matter a fact, I was told I was a perfect candidate for the transplant due to the plentiful stock of hair on the back of my head they would use to harvest for my transplant. Erika was quick to tell me it would be approximately $8,-9k for the procedure , which was out of my budget at the time.

Now that doesn't seem so bad, but once she told me the price of the system, I was a surprised considering I had come to them in 2005 and it had increased in price by $1,500. When I explained that to her, that is when she continue to tell me about the amazing evolution of technology used to create the system. She got me excited gave me a book to pick a hair style I liked and started moving the sales pitch through very quickly. I found a hairstyle with in minutes, I started to get excited, but I was still had reservations, because I knew there was going to be maintenance after.

I asked her how much it cost to maintain the hair. She was very vague and told me that Dora, the Customer Service Advisor, would explain the plans they have available. I asked again what the average cost was per month and she said $95. Come to find out $95 pays for a full service and it is an hourly rate.

So far the one full service I had since the process started took almost 2 hours. That was not explained to me at the beginning of course. During the consultation, Erika, made it seem like she really was excited and wanted to make this work. I guess I was naive, because she didn't care, she wanted her sale.

She called my "team" in to meet me, and it was literally a meeting. When Dora came in to meet me, she never discussed the maintenance packages, because I would have stopped the entire transaction at that moment one I found out it would cost $259-$359. The reason I say this is because although I didn't have hair, I would have rather had permanent hair through the transplant process rather than the hair system. At the maintenance rate, I would have the money by saving what I would spend each month on maintenance for hair in 3 years.

What I find so disappointing was the fact Erika knew I was stretching my budget for this and it was a big purchase for me. When I arrived on the first day for the application of my system, even though I did not tell them, nothing had changed from my system in 1999 to the system I wear now. I was disappointed and excited at the same time hoping the adhesives were going to be better than 1999. That was not the case, after 2-3 days, the frontal starts to life and I have to do my hair in a way to cover it or once I've had to lift the system and reapply with more adhesive.

This is while I am on the plan I go into the Club each week for service. After 2-3 weeks, I was explain the price structure for each package. The cheapest plan was $259, and that entire bare to the bones maintenance. I get a full service every six weeks.

So I am paying a month charge for something I don't even get each month. I have been in this financial and emotional funk for the past month, because I can't afford to pay the monthly maintenance packages. When I told them I was going to have to cancel my membership and take the system off, they brought my file out and showed me pictures of my bald spot I mentioned they took during my consultation. This is why I think it is a team approach to make you feel like they are doing everything to make this work for me, by decreasing the price to a lower plan for $207, which I don't even know how long I would have to wait for a full service, I am assuming 8 weeks.

I was just so discourage and honestly, if I didn't already pay the maintenance for this month, I would not go back ever. They just simply don't understand, I feel completely ripped off right now from the deception of Erika not completely providing all the financial obligations I would have to pay after I received they system. On top of that they gave me a list of things to do and not to do. One of which is to only use their club stylist and to only use their hair care products.

I could see why a company would say this, but everything in that club is outrageously priced. Seriously, the system looks great, but why where something that makes me financially insecure with the monthly maintenance fees. Also, the system are not completely undetectable. There have been many occasions it starts to come up and I don't know why, but I have friends that think its funny to touch my hair (this has been going on for years) and twice I've had a few looks and questions to what I'm wearing.

So now, I get self-conscious about this whole deal. My plans are to go into my weekly appointment and cancel my plan, finish out the month I paid for and *** the system or find something alternative to keep it at a rate I can afford ($100/month). It's really too bad because I have a friend that was interested in getting the same system, but I think I will recommend a different company that is not only after the dollar. I understand they need to make money, but there is a ethical way to do it and Hair Club doesn't have it.

However, I can certainly say, they should get an award for their acting abilities. They sure know how to make it seem like they do, and they may to a certain degree. But I am just so frustrated I can't see past what I feel about this and the some of the other stuff I read about HC. I am not the only one.

I guess I will just have to cut my loss and go back to a 32 year old balding man. Thank West Hollywood Hairclub!

Product or Service Mentioned: Hair Club Hair Treatment.

Comments

BROTHER,MOST OF THE COMMENTS YOU ARE GETTING FROM READERS ARE SPOT ON! I BOUGHT A SYSTEM IN THE LATE 90'S FROM HCM AT A TIME WHEN I WAS DEALING WITH LOW SELF ESTEEM AFTER A NASTY DIVORCE,I WAS 30,I LOST MY HAIR IN MY EARLY 20'S.

AS YOU'VE HEARD HCM IS BRILLIANT AT TWISTING THE TRUTH AND PRESSING IN ON YOUR PAIN POINTS,FEAR OF NOT FINDING LOVE,FEAR OF NOT BEING ATTRACTIVE,FEAR OF JUST ACCEPTING REALITY AND EMBRACE THE "REAL" YOU. WELL I WORE MY PIECE FOR YEARS,IT MADE ME MORE SELF CONSCIOUS! ALWAYS WORRIED I'D BE 'FOUND OUT' OR SOMETHING EMBARRASSING WOULD HAPPEN AROUND FRIENDS OR ON A DATE. PLUS THE AMOUNT I WAS PAYING FOR UPKEEP WAS HORRIBLE,THEY TELL YOU HOW YOUR SCALP STINKS, ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER,IT'S ITCHY AND JUST A GREAT BIG PAIN IN THE ASS,FOR WHAT?

OK,SO 3 YEARS INTO THIS I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A BRAND NEW KILLER HAIR PIECE FOR $2,500 FROM A COMPANY THAT DOES HAIR PIECES FOR MOVIE ACTORS,IT WAS BEAUTIFUL,COULDN'T WAIT TO WEAR IT. HOWEVER,ON CHRISTMAS EVE,SOMETHING JUST SNAPPED IN ME AND I THOUGHT "WHAT THE %$@$ AM I DOING THIS FOR? SUDDENLY I SAW THE TRUTH AND REALIZED THIS WAS IN REALITY MAKING MY PSYCHOSIS WORSE,I SUDDENLY WANTED TO BE FREE FROM WHAT OTHERS THINK,IF THEY DON'T LIKE BALD GUYS %#$@ THEM,IF A GIRL HAS A PROBLEM WITH BALD GUYS,BIG DEAL. THAT CHRISTMAS EVE NIGHT, ALONE IN MY HOUSE WITH A FIRE GOING I GOT ON MY KNEES AND SAID TO GOD "OK GOD,I'M GOING TO THROW THIS $2,500 HAIR PIECE IN THE FIRE, I WANT TO BE FREE,PLEASE DON'T LET ME REGRET THIS OR EVER BE A VICTIM THE MIND GAMES AND EMOTIONAL MANIPULATION AGAIN" INTO THE FIRE IT WENT.

FRIEND,I NEVER LOOKED BACK,ONE OF THE MOST FREEING THINGS I EVER DID AND WITH THE NEW FOUND CONFIDENCE I HAD AND SELF WORTH FROM ACCEPTING MYSELF RADIATED THROUGH ME AND ACTUALLY GOT ME MORE DATES WITH BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL WOMEN WHO DIDN'T GIVE A @$!% THAT I WAS BALD,IT WAS SEXY TO THEM AND THEY WERE DRAWN TO "ME" NOT MY HEAD. I AM MARRIED NOW TO A BEAUTIFUL YOUNGER IRISH REDHEAD WHO DIGS BALD GUYS,LUCKY ME! CHECK YOUR MOTIVES,IF THIS IS ALL BEING DONE FOR THE WRONG REASONS,WHICH IT PROBABLY IS,GIVE IT UP.

THE "REAL YOU" IS THE BALD YOU,SHAVE IT,GET SOME KILLER CLOTHES AND LET YOUR LOVE AND CONFIDENCE BE THE MAGNET,THEN INVEST ALL THAT MONEY YOU'LL SAVE. GET THE FREEDOM BRO, ALL THE BEST!

Sounds to me like you have issues with self esteem. Theses people would not be screwing you out of your hard earned money, if you would learn to accept yourself for who you are.

Los Angeles, California, United States #1205758

Horrible Erika!

This *** is addictive! The "subliminal advertising", and their " touchy feely" way to suck you in, is ripe for people that "assume", they need what they have?!

Look at Paul Simon! He, could probably benefit, in terms of looks, but he doesn't need it! Tis, all buulcrap!

Delight in who you are! Not, what they suggest you could be!

I have recently just paid for initial system and am waiting for it to be applied . I too have my doubts as it seems to me I'd probably prefer a traditional removable wig . However , I feel that even if I have made a mistake at least I've taken a first step to do some thing about my situation .

Dude I would just sack the whole "system" and honestly forget spending a fortune on hair transplants. Haven't you seen the guys your age and younger (and older) doing the "5 o'clock shadow" type of clipper cut?

It is sexy, it is NOT a bald shaven head, and in many cases it is even more handsome than full head of hair!

Trust me, as a woman, nothing looks worse than a guy with a "system" glued to their scalp(aka bad toupee) or the telltale look of hair plugs. Save money and time AND look really great.

Mudassar Ahmad

I had my "hair system" for about a month. I was told that it would last several years and the only maintenance cost was 95 a month.

No mention of a maintenance package. I was there three times after my initial placement appointment, and didn't bring it up until the matrix slipped and needs to be adjusted. Which they will not take care of until I decide on a package. I was devastated.

I am 37 year old with severe female pattern baldness, who has been searching for a solution. I am also a teacher that is struggling financially, which they knew!

I wish i knew where we could file a class action lawsuit because this isn't right!!! I will research and find a lawyer because it is unethical to do business that way!!!!!!

proficiencyp@yahoo.ca
to Turtle Toronto, Ontario, Canada #632627

hi,Leave hair club now.So called bio matrix is a WIG a toupee at the *** cost of well over $2000 ?.Go on line buy the same hair system (if not better) for fraction of prize.Do it yourself you will save hundreds monthly,thousands yearly promised. also let me know whatever happened with the lawyers.thanks

to Turtle #1620830

Please let me know how to go to an action lawsuit . I'm very disappointed with HC maintenance s fees never mentioned to me.

I need help ! Vanoca1964@gmail.com