Albuquerque, New Mexico

On January 11, 2010, I bought a Jitterbug phone for my brother who is permanently hospitalized as a near quadriplegic. He is also indigent, with Medicaid taking all but $35 from his Social Security as co-pay for his care. He also has two motherless teenage daughters.

I spent well over an hour with a Jitterbug representative getting the phone activated. I paid for the phone ($90 or so), the activation fee ($60 or so) and a month's worth of minutes ($30 or so).

Ten days later a careless orderly sent the phone along with the used bed sheets to a laundry in California, and that was that. I called Jitterbug immediately and canceled the service.

A month later I received a bill for a second month's worth of minutes. Jitterbug's position is that their billing month begins on the 12th of the month, five hours before I bought the phone and paid for a month's service. Why, I asked, didn't their representative inform me of the fact that after 5 hours I was going to have to pay for a second month? Well, the minutes roll over, they say, so it's not a problem. If I wanted 600 minutes, I say, I would have bought 600 minutes.

My brother had the phone for 10 days and used, maybe, 20 minutes of air time. But $180 isn't enough for Jitterbug. They've gone to a collection agency for their lousy $32. For a year now they have been hounding a quadriplegic whose income for $35 a month. Nice company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Greatcall Cell Phone.

Comments

I’m the VP of Customer Service at GreatCall, creators of the Jitterbug cell phone. I saw your post today, and wanted to personally reach out and offer assistance.

At your convenience, you can please contact to me by calling 760-602-6700 and asking for Sue Weaver. I look forward to hearing from you.