Genco Marketplace Inc - GENCO Marketplace is a SCAM
Summary: I paid $20,000 US for a shipment, and was sent only a quarter of the items, and half of those were damaged beyond repairs. My story below:
WARNING- GENCO IS A SCAM. Deal with them at your own risk ...
On June 21st, 2013, I purchased a load from Genco Marketplace. It was sold to me as an Overstock load (not returns or salvage). I paid $20,000 USD for it the same day it was ordered, it cost me another $8,000 with shipping, duties, taxes, etc. Genco had various minor issues finding the payment and pushed to have the load picked up before they closed their Ohio facility. No big deal.
The shipment of 19 skids arrived at my shop On July 15th, 2013 and I immediately noticed it was in very bad shape. Most of the skids looked as if a dinosaur had eaten them ( I have many pics), and many were mangled and bent beyond salvage. I notified Genco the following day July 16th. At that point, I was unaware of the worst part, which I shortly discovered after inspecting and cataloguing the load.
After inspection, it became very clear that I was either being scammed or Genco had made a huge error somewhere. I was missing 75% of the items I had purchased. Of the 25% that did arrive, only half was salvageable. This is a serious issue that a reputable company would want to look into asap. Not so for Genco. I informed my sales rep (Ray Gallagher) at Genco Marketplace on July 19th via phone message and email and received no response.
On July 22nd we completed inspecting the last few skids and our suspicions of having been shortchanged were confirmed. At this point I checked our Bill of Lading and found that the shipment was actually short 4,000lbs (of 13,500lbs). I immediately sent a follow-up email to my sales rep. He requested a list of what was missing and damaged. On July 23rd we sent him a complete list of damaged and missing items with a summary and pictures. No response was received.
On July 25th, we sent another follow-up email requesting an update. No response. July 26th, I decided to go above my sales rep and phoned their customer support and spoke with a lady by the name of Carol. I passed on all the info and was promised a response. None was received, so I followed up with an email addressed to both customer support and my sales rep. No responses received.
I phoned again to customer support and was passed on to Vince Curtain, Director of Sales, and left him a voicemail explaining the situation. I received a brief voicemail the following day explaining that the “alledged issue” was under review. I called back several times and left him a voicemail to please contact me, no response. I finally got ahold of my sales rep by phone (same day I filed a BBB complaint, hmm). He assured me they wanted to keep doing business with me and that they would review the issue. I asked what sort of timeline I could expect for a response, and was told he was not sure. At this point I was becoming increasingly concerned at the lack of interest in the problem, and that they were ignoring the majority of my emails and calls, and that I had been given no explanation or timeline for a response to my inquiries.
I finally had my lawyer draft a letter, to which did get a response from Vince saying only that they had upheld their portion of the communication, and that the issue was under review. I also filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, and received the same one line response “the issue is under review”. What did this review entail? When would it provide me and answer? More importantly, what were they going to do about selling me a product and not delivering it?
By August 8th, almost a month since I first reported the issue, NO ONE has contacted me for additional information. NO ONE has taken the initiative to discover what has gone wrong. NO ONE has made any effort whatsoever to rectify the problem, except to infrequently answer my calls/emails when pressed by my lawyer or the Better Business Bureau. I had my lawyer send a second email to the CEO, a Mr. Robert Auray Jr warning that legal action would be taken if no responses were received. Today, August 13th we received a response saying that their position is that the load was “shipped in tact”. No explanation. Not one person phoned me to ask questions about the missing and damaged shipment. Is this how you investigate a claim? This is how you ignore one. Genco was very communicative when it came to taking my money, but has avoided my calls and emails and now says essentially ‘tough luck’.
The photos below show 2 of the damaged skids ... almost all of them were like this. That was the least of the issues ... most of the load never arrived.
AVOID GENCO MAKETPLACE ...
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Bulk Liquidation Purchase
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "UPS Claims DisputePackage was picked up by UPS at my home 2/15/13 (Friday) in DelawareThe item was wrapped and taped with card board, forming an inner box around the item,..."
- "I found a lady on craigslist with husky pups -free, we texted and emailed. After she found out where I lived (nj) she said she lived in Seatle Washington, she..."
- "I would like to bring to your attention the very UNPROFESSIONAL and HIGHLY UNETHICAL PRACTICE of MS. JENNIFER ABALOS, whose photo appears here with. To give you an insight, let..."
- "I have be charged every month after I used the website on October 4. I already paid on that day. However, I was charged 31.8 dollar twice on October 19..."
- "I received a usedduvet cover set and it was yellow not white and had pulls on it the set from sleep wish and now they wont refund me,is this..."
- "I am thinking that this would have happened while driving down the road with the wind pushing on the front 1 piece fibreglass the dimples are about 2 feet in..."
- "At the location I go to has at least 2 parking spots for expecting moms and "new moms". I thought this wording was too narrow because other stores such as..."
- "Ordered over $100 worth of items on 11/27. Emailed them 3 times now at various email addresses to no avail. Nothing comes back undeliverable so the emails are valid. I..."
- "What an utter bowel movement of a company. My refrigerator (Whirlpool Refrigerator Model WRX735SDBM02) is brand new and already the surface of the control panel is flaking and peeling away...."