Genco Marketplace Inc - GENCO Marketplace is a SCAM
Summary: I paid $20,000 US for a shipment, and was sent only a quarter of the items, and half of those were damaged beyond repairs. My story below:
WARNING- GENCO IS A SCAM. Deal with them at your own risk ...
On June 21st, 2013, I purchased a load from Genco Marketplace. It was sold to me as an Overstock load (not returns or salvage). I paid $20,000 USD for it the same day it was ordered, it cost me another $8,000 with shipping, duties, taxes, etc. Genco had various minor issues finding the payment and pushed to have the load picked up before they closed their Ohio facility. No big deal.
The shipment of 19 skids arrived at my shop On July 15th, 2013 and I immediately noticed it was in very bad shape. Most of the skids looked as if a dinosaur had eaten them ( I have many pics), and many were mangled and bent beyond salvage. I notified Genco the following day July 16th. At that point, I was unaware of the worst part, which I shortly discovered after inspecting and cataloguing the load.
After inspection, it became very clear that I was either being scammed or Genco had made a huge error somewhere. I was missing 75% of the items I had purchased. Of the 25% that did arrive, only half was salvageable. This is a serious issue that a reputable company would want to look into asap. Not so for Genco. I informed my sales rep (Ray Gallagher) at Genco Marketplace on July 19th via phone message and email and received no response.
On July 22nd we completed inspecting the last few skids and our suspicions of having been shortchanged were confirmed. At this point I checked our Bill of Lading and found that the shipment was actually short 4,000lbs (of 13,500lbs). I immediately sent a follow-up email to my sales rep. He requested a list of what was missing and damaged. On July 23rd we sent him a complete list of damaged and missing items with a summary and pictures. No response was received.
On July 25th, we sent another follow-up email requesting an update. No response. July 26th, I decided to go above my sales rep and phoned their customer support and spoke with a lady by the name of Carol. I passed on all the info and was promised a response. None was received, so I followed up with an email addressed to both customer support and my sales rep. No responses received.
I phoned again to customer support and was passed on to Vince Curtain, Director of Sales, and left him a voicemail explaining the situation. I received a brief voicemail the following day explaining that the “alledged issue” was under review. I called back several times and left him a voicemail to please contact me, no response. I finally got ahold of my sales rep by phone (same day I filed a BBB complaint, hmm). He assured me they wanted to keep doing business with me and that they would review the issue. I asked what sort of timeline I could expect for a response, and was told he was not sure. At this point I was becoming increasingly concerned at the lack of interest in the problem, and that they were ignoring the majority of my emails and calls, and that I had been given no explanation or timeline for a response to my inquiries.
I finally had my lawyer draft a letter, to which did get a response from Vince saying only that they had upheld their portion of the communication, and that the issue was under review. I also filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, and received the same one line response “the issue is under review”. What did this review entail? When would it provide me and answer? More importantly, what were they going to do about selling me a product and not delivering it?
By August 8th, almost a month since I first reported the issue, NO ONE has contacted me for additional information. NO ONE has taken the initiative to discover what has gone wrong. NO ONE has made any effort whatsoever to rectify the problem, except to infrequently answer my calls/emails when pressed by my lawyer or the Better Business Bureau. I had my lawyer send a second email to the CEO, a Mr. Robert Auray Jr warning that legal action would be taken if no responses were received. Today, August 13th we received a response saying that their position is that the load was “shipped in tact”. No explanation. Not one person phoned me to ask questions about the missing and damaged shipment. Is this how you investigate a claim? This is how you ignore one. Genco was very communicative when it came to taking my money, but has avoided my calls and emails and now says essentially ‘tough luck’.
The photos below show 2 of the damaged skids ... almost all of them were like this. That was the least of the issues ... most of the load never arrived.
AVOID GENCO MAKETPLACE ...
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Bulk Liquidation Purchase
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Brand bew tv shipped through LBC. Damaged upon arrival in the Philippines. Originating LBC said they aren't responsible for damage, only if it was lost. What is the point of..."
- "908-561-8300 UPS South Plainfield, NJ I have 7 chairs taken to this store to be packed and shipped to me before Christmas and I still have not received them worst..."
- "DO NOT USE THIS COME ANY An pick up service was scheduled from 9am-7pm they didn't arrive because they went to the wrong address. A next day collection was arranged..."
- " Frank's Auto Credit is a Family Owned and Operated, Independent Buy-Here Pay-Here Dealer that was established in 1995 by Frank M. Lynch. For nearly 20 Years Frank's Auto Credit..."
- "I was contacted by phone from an independent Century Link Representative wanting to know who my current carrier was and what I was paying for my plan. I told him..."
- "So I have worked for the company for a few years now at a few different chains in a few different states. Each time transferring easily to my current postion..."
- "On November 19, 2016 I purchased a leather recliner sofa and love seat from your Barrie location. Delivery was set up for Friday November 25, 2016. I received a call..."
- "I am writing to tell you about a charity scam making millions off generous consumers during the holiday season in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton. It is a..."
- "I have the Allure flooring installed in my kitchen and hallways for more than a year . After the first few months we noticed the gaps between the planks were..."