Arlington, Massachusetts
1.5K views
3.8

I have taken 9 trips with Gate1 Travel, & I have enjoyed them all very much. All but two of these trips I have taken alone, and paid the single supplement charges with no complaint.

However, when I booked my two upcoming trips for the fall & found the supplement cost is now about $1,000, I instantly became unhappy. That is simply an untenable amount, with no justification whatsoever. My trip to Equador in September is one of those trips...a place where hotels are not all that expensive. I feel that Gate 1 is exploiting the single traveler with these fees.

If they had stayed in the ballpark of where they have been over the past two years, I would have had no complaint. Part II of my issues is that you supposedly get $100 for referring someone to Gate 1, but the catch is that you can't use it on any of the "deals", which is of course what most people book when they receive the emails. I think you should be able to redeem the $100 on any trip. I have spent a lot of money over the past two years, & have been a big promoter of the company to friends & acquaintances along the way, many of whom have also traveled with Gate 1 due to my rave reviews.

These, too, will have to stop based on the "trick" reward which is virtually impossible to redeem. Sonja

Product or Service Mentioned: Gate1travel Tour.

Reason of review: as described in my note.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Gate1travel Pros: Every trip has thus far been exceptional.

Gate1travel Cons: Recent hikes in single supplement charges, Difficulty in redeeming awards for referrals.

Comments

Kit

We can understand your frustration in paying a single supplement. However, this supplement is based on costs provided by our suppliers as well as contractual agreements.

Additionally, please know that we do try to offer several different ways to save, our referral program being one of many. We do include the terms of the program on our website and of course, please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

#1194603
@Kit

The only cost affected is the hotel. Hotels are cheap there. You are gouging.

Gate1travel Reviews