Eugene, Oregon
8.4K views 66 comments

Fred Meyer has a senior discount day on the first Tuesday of each month. So, seniors like me make a big shopping trip and save $10 to $30 on FM's already good prices. Management requires you to tell clerks that you are a senior, even if you know the friendly clerk and the clerk knows you are a senior and you are in line with five other seniors. The friendly clerks often start talking to you and then they 'forget' to scan the senior discount.

Note that their ads say, "Just ask your cashier for the senior discount." That's too funny, seniors remembering something like that after barely being able so shop.

When they forget to give you the discount, you have a to go to customer service. Today the sales clerk forgot to give the discount to the person in front of me and apologized and told the customer to go to customer service (they didn't, the customer was ticked) where customer service would manually hunt through the invoice and key in each item and then hand back a refund. The first thing I told this clerk was I was a senior. She said she would scan the discount code. We got to talking about nothing and general and the sales clerks last words to me were..... you'll have to go to customer service to get your refund.

At customer service, DeeDee, a ten year employee asked me to get the stuff out of my three bags of groceries. I started to hunt and peck for the items, but I realized how *** the request was and that Dee Dee could manually input the item numbers just like the last time this happened to me. (Plus Dee Dee was a little rude, probably because she hates ringing up the refunds manually). Oh and customer service should know that you have to remove the top layers of merchandise to see whats on the bottom, and the counter is the best place to put the stuff.

I was a little frustrated, but I thought this senior discount scam isn't Dee Dee's fault. Dee Dee didn't tell the employees not to ask customers if they are seniors and Dee Dee can't control a sales clerk who forgets to scan the discount code even though the sales clerk was told. So I was handed two bucks and some change, which I thought was a little light. But the line of ticked off seniors was behind me was getting huge and I thought it best to leave.

I got home and the credit receipt she stubbornly gave me, only because I asked, was a credit for over six bucks and she hadn't even rung up all of the eligible items. I take responsibility for not checking the refund receipt, but those seniors behind me were hot....

Anyway, what a scam. Can you imagine all of the seniors who go on the first Tuesday and think they are getting their refund automatically. Maybe they think the refund is tied into their rewards card, which it should be. It's big bucks, trust me. Just talk to the clerks on Senior Tuesday. They say it happens all of the time. Then talk to customer service folks like Dee Dee. But watch out, she might rip off your head.

Fred Meyer management should be ashamed of themselves for their management of this policy. And they should send all of their seniors a big fat check every year.

Review about: Senior Discount Day.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Fred Meyer?

Submit review

Comments

Omni
Junction City, Oregon, United States #1250274
So, let me get this straight. You completed your checkout without making sure that you got your senior discount? And then, you have the mind to blame the cashier for your mistake? It's your responsibility.
The cashiers CANNOT offer you any discounts. It is against store policy to offer any discount or coupon whatsoever, as that would defeat the purpose of the store having the coupon in the first place. If they do, they can be fired, and everything is monitored. They can only add a coupon or discount to your order if you ask for it, and it's your responsibility to make sure that they get it. Saying "Oh, I'm a senior" at the beginning of a transaction does nothing, because discounts are taken into account at the END of a transaction. It is not a "scam", as they give you exactly what they advertise, and are very clear as to what is allowable and what is not. Take some responsibility in your life, it's never too late.
to Omni Toorak, Victoria County, Trinidad And Tobago #1250282
It's just another clown unable to take responsibility for their own poor behaviour but fully ready to jump on the internet and spread BS to try to get revenge. Note that the same fool is also making complaints against the same vendor here on other grounds in order to discredit them.
It's sad when the older types turn out to be just as scummy and ill-bred as the young types.
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States #1241000
Yes it is really not worth it unless you are purchasing a large item. AND THEN. You will be told it is not on the list. LOL. Just another scam.
#1208071
From what I've been told, it is "against store policy" and possibly illegal to ask customers if they are seniors. I know they can't ask for proof. I've had several checkers ask me if "there are any discounts that I would like to take advantage of today? " I think that's a great way to do it.
Appreciative Senior
Seattle, Washington, United States #1122019
We senior citizens can be so demanding and unappreciative! Fred Meyer generously made the offer. This is not a senior citizen care facility - take responsibility to do what you need to do. Write it on your grocery list, put a sticky note on your FM Rewards card, put a rubber band around your wallet - use whatever reminder you need, but please don't blame them for not being a senior day care facility!
#1120864
And the 10% discount is only on Kroger/Fred Meyer brands. This is not made very clear to customers. That's why do most of my shopping at Winco. They beat Fred Meyer every day on just about every item.
Alx steel 777
to Anonymous #1278211
Winco didn't beat Fred Meyer on everything , win o is fine but it's not like they give the *** away shop where you want there are pos and beg about every store get a life *** hat
to Alx steel 777 #1293873
I'm sure this sounded much cooler in your first language.
Renton, Washington, United States #1089818
I got my senior discount yesterday. No problems. Before I paid I said I'm a senior he looked up the code entered it. No customer service line. Never do I have a problem.
This happened to me...I was excited because it was going to be my first time being able to get the discount and it was the first thing I said. I also had coupons for other utemd, and had keyed in that I wanted 40 bucks cash back. The cashier forgot all of it. I use a cane, sometimes even two. My spine does not like standing much. But I was so mad I went to customer service where she had to un-key and re-key almost the entire receipt...I got $25.00, which is huge considering my retirement check.....but the $40.00 cash back? I was told to come back the next day to find out if the cashiers drawer was off. I explained that my body just does not allow me to get out and about 2 days in a row. I called the next day, yes the cashier's drawer was off. I explained that every store and office every where needs refresher classes on customer service. I was mailed the $40.00 and a $25.00 gift card but I try to avoid that store if at all possible..L we have other fred Meyer stores here in Anchorage, Alaska. I had no idea this was possibly a scam hoping we would forget.