50 views

Attended the Noon show of "True Grit" at the Regal Edwards South Gate, 8630 Garfield Ave., S. Gate, CA 90280 on Wed., May 8, 2019.

My first time at a Fathom Event. I was shocked at the substandard visual quality of the film: dark and grainy and fuzzy, like watching it through a window screen. I am a huge film fan. I am a member of the American Cinematheque which shows films in 35 mm, which can be splendid, depending on the age of the celluloid print.

I have seen color films from the 1960s shown in the DCP process which are absolutely breathtaking in their beauty, brightness, clarity, nearly flawless on the big screen. So I came to this showing with what I thought were normal and high expectations. I was really shocked. I could have had a better quality of color and brightness and clarity on a normal TV watching this on TCM.

I don't know the technology that you use. I spoke to the manager (who politely offered me a free readmittance ticket, which I accepted). She indicated that it was not a CD or DVD that you use but some form of DVR or streaming. In any event, I just don't understand how you cannot use the technology that is available today, namely DCP, to show the best quality projection of a film from the 1960s.

I don't know if it was that the video sent to you was not of the highest digital quality or if your machines are not up to snuff. But I will tell you - I am now extremely reluctant to come back to another Fathom event and I will share my experience with friends. If you and TCM are going to team up together to get folks excited to come to the theater and pay good money for a special experience, then please use the available technology to make it the best it can be.

Respectfully, David Mayhan, 2267 Cowlin Ave., Commerce, CA 90040. DEMayhan@***.com 323-333-****

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Fathom Events Cons: Read my review.

Comments

Recently saw a screening of "High Society" and it was horrible, many of the same issues this poster indicated. I had no idea at the time this film was being streamed and can't for the life of me understand why Fathom would stream such a sub-standard resolution to theaters when there are far better ways of getting a quality picture delivered.

Horrible. I will never pay for another Fathom event again and will warn everyone I know about this inferior viewing experience.

Notebook opened. Taking notes.

Thanks for the valuable post. I wish more people would talk about this subject as in depth as you.

Fathom Events Reviews