Charlotte, North Carolina
1.9K views 38 comments

Erie insurance does not want to pay for my hail damage to my roof even though I have had 4 other companies tell me that I had hail damage.

Erie Insurance paid to have an engineering company of their choice come out to check out my roof and when they came out the engineering company called Donan Engineering told me that I did not have hail damage and they took pictures that were so far away that of course in the pictures it does not look like hail damage but if you see the roof in person and take pictures up close you can easily see the damage caused by hail.

I also checked with the weather center and I can also prove when the hail damage happened.

I no longer have my insurance with Erie Insurance and I do not recommend them to anyone unless of course you want to go through what I went through. I was hung up up on twice by the Charlotte manager Michelle S.

not only once but twice and I was also hung up on by the engineering company Donian Engineering. Once by the South East Manager and once by the gal in the office.

I also have written complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Charlotte and Donian Engineering has chosen not to even respond to them.

Go figure? I guess they do not care about their reputation.

Why could I not use a roofing company of my choice or a inspector of my choice? Because Erie Insurance does not want to pay their claims is why.

You see an insurance company is only as good as if they pay their claims and if I pay my premiums then I expect the insurance company to pay if I have problems. Not only have I turned the insurance company over to the BBB but I have also turned them over the the North Carolina Insurance Commission. The report that I did up on this claim that I sent to the North Carolina Insurance Commission was 126 pages long with detailed pictures and reports from other companies.

This is my first home owners claim ever and I expect to be treated with respect as well as have my claim paid for because I got hail damage.

David Snell

Review about: Service Rendered.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Erie Insurance?

Comments

Morristown, New Jersey, United States #1218297

My business partners were looking for NCAR SF 410-T a few days ago and learned about an online service with a lot of fillable forms . If you need to fill out NCAR SF 410-T too , here's >residential rental contract

Talal
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States #901740

Erie has adjusters that don't care they don't want to pay

Tom
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States #901734

Erie home adjuster mark kravetz does not answer my call Erie want your money but dont care about your claim

disgruntled
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #888363

Donan and Triple A Roof Technologies do not believe that there has been hail of damage causing size has ever been in North Carolina. If you do file a claim I would make sure that I stated "do no use either of these companies because of terrible reviews.

unhappy
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #784728

I had my house insulation the company that did the work had to take the outside vinyle sidding off the house drill holes and spray the foam insulation in when the sidding was put back up it was done incorrectly ( also had holes cracks and in the heat it bowed ) Now my home owners is Erie and the Company that did the work was also insured with Erie so Erie came out to the house told me they had my back they also brought out a contractor who wrote a paper that said the person who last touch my sidding did the damage and at the time they were at my house I was told the contractor was the best he can tell what happen so I then get my letter from Erie saying I was denied telling me the contractor said it was the fault of the originil installer from 10 years ago After I laugh and said why does the contractors paper say the person who last touch it ! I then was told the contractor was no good thinking because he wasn't or didn't say what they wanted ( Keep in mind their Contractor ) Now they wanted to bring out a Engineer so a Engingeer could tell why my sidding was cracked and had holes in it and bow I told Erie I dont think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out I had no damage they touched I have damage where is the Mystery

Very Very unhappy with Erie

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #687460

I can reflect the same situation with both Erie and Donan or what ever their name is.As a matter of fact we just had another hail storm in April, filed the claim (this is after 2 other hail storms and 2 other denied claims).

I had video (adjuster not interested), pictures (adjustor not interested) but what she was very clear about was That Erie has a policy NOT to replace roofs, only slopes. She was also clear that Erie DOES NOT allow anything for matching shingles in their half baked "repairs" so you end up with a hillbilly house of mismatched garbage on your roof.

DO NO BUY ERIE INSURANCE!!!We should get a class action suit against them.

Roofer
Cloverdale, Indiana, United States #614837

Also, avoid Allstate, Nationwide (depends on state), Grinell Mutual, and some local mutual insurance carriers.Mutual insurance carriers that are area specific have a lot of liability when it comes to paying out lots of claims because they don't have deep pockets.

Generally, AAA, USAA, State Farm (sometimes), Erie, Shelter, any Farm Bureau (highly recommend Farm Bureau) are good carriers.It is my experience that these companies will pay for whatever is physically damaged by the storm.

Roofer
Cloverdale, Indiana, United States #614832

As a restoration project manager, I can tell you that good contractor's will get on your roof and show you pictures of damaged areas and explain what caused them (hail, foot traffic, etc.) Donan Engineering is not there to approve a claim.They pay these guys 800 to 2200 dollars to go out to your house and deny claims.

They denied a hail claim I was working in an area that had been obliterated by hail (baseball size plus), and the home in question showed severe roof and collateral damage (i.e. broken windows, hole through things there shouldn't be holes through). Donan came out and denied this claim. Everytime you see a Donan truck at your house for an insurance inspection, immediately call your agent and request that your claim go to arbitration.

That is where a third party (usually another engineering firm or more preferably a licensed property adjuster) will meet with the insurance rep. to come to an agreement in regards to the damage.

This is the best remedy to prevent from being screwed.Also, an experience restoration contractor usually has an RPA or insurance "guru" on staff that can find other ways around their decisions by language in your policy regarding "direct physical damage".

hollins1
Dallas, Texas, United States #578881

I have only a few comment's to make.(1)I have ALLSTATE INSURANCE on my home right.And i can say i have never had a problem with ALLSTATE paying any claim that i submitted on my home.(2)We had a hail storm back in JUNE i believe and Althought my VEHICLE'S had hail damage,My home did not have any damage to it.ALLSTATE came out and INSPECTED my roof for hail damage and Their was none.So please don't speak on ALLSTATE INSURANCE because they are a great insurance company as far as i am concern.Now my sister-in-law had NATIONWIDE INSURANCE on her home and to this day they have not paid her claim for hail damage.I have also had some lady telephone me and Inform me that their company was out riding around inspecting roof's for hail damage,Now i did not request this company whom ever it might be to inspect my home and I doubt if it is possible to inspect a home from the street.So i asked the lady how did someone inspect my roof without getting my permission and Without going on top of my home.This lady could not say anything but i don't know,I was just doing what i was told to do and That is to telephone you.Then she hung up very fast.WTF.Their are so many people out their that sceem .Now if ALLSTATE INSURANCE came to my home to inspect my roof and Found it to be not damage.How is someone i do not even know out of the blue telephone me and State i have damage to my roof.SOUND'S LIKE BS TO ME.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #578858

Why could I not use a roofing company of my choice or a inspector of my choice?

Roofing companies have an inherent conflict of interest in that they only make a profit if they find a reason to replace the roof. That's why insurance companies hire experts rather than taking the contractor's recommendation. However, you could have hired an inspector at your own expense and invoked the appraisal clause of your policy.