I bought a 10X diopter magnifier florescent hobby desk lamp from eHobbyTools several years ago on eBay. When it arrived I was instantly concerned about replacing the circular florescent bulb and contacted them immediately. They said they would have the bulbs in stock and told me not to worry. A month ago it became necessary to replace it.
I went to eHobbyTools.com web site to do so. When I did a search only one bulb came up. So worried that this might not be the proper replacement I contacted them via e-mail. I waited but heard nothing. So I called them and got their answering machine. I left a message and waited. I heard nothing from them. Being desperate for my light because my business depends on it I gave up and ordered the one that came up in my search as well as a new clamp that would fit my new desk. When they arrived I saw that neither it nor the new clamp I also ordered was what I needed.
I started calling them daily and leaving messages for two weeks. Then I started calling them multiple times each day. Finally, about a week later they returned my call. They knew at that point that I was quite upset with them but never offered an apology.
During the conversation with Jill she had me take my lamp apart in order to find out which bulb I needed. I had to get off of the phone in order to do so and called them right back as promised. Again I could not get through for a while. When I was finally able to get through I mentioned that the bulb had melted the fixture and burned it. Jill ignored that altogether.
She further stated that though I could return the incorrect items I get them replaced because they do not do business that way. I would have to pay for the new things and wait for a refund on the others. I told her I could not afford to do so and that I needed my light. Once again she made no comment other than to say this was the only way they would handle this.
I prepared to return the items and then started doing the math. I realized that I had spent $26.98 with shipping on the bulb and the clamp. When I added up the amount it would cost me to return the items I realized that not getting the original postage refunded plus my return shipping would leave me with only a $4.99 refund. Basically the shipping would take everything and to me their lack of customer support was quite costly. Had they taken care of me by e-mail or by phone this would not have happened. I also noticed that by clicking on “terms” on their website I found there was a 15% restocking fee. This was not on any other page on the whole website.
I e-mailed them again to tell them this and sent photos of the burnt and melted fixture. Again, I received no reply. Looking at the fixture more I also realized that it would not be safe to put a replacement bulb in it because it would be an invitation for disaster. I told them that as well and then as I looked on their site to see what replacing it would cost I found that it was removed from their site. Coincidence? In most cases I would have felt it could have been but given their general lack of caring as witnessed through their customer support I think not.
I guess I should be grateful that this lamp did not cause the fire that it could so easily have caused but instead I just feel ripped off more than ever. Please see the photos below the damage to the fixture. If you think you may have one like this it's probably best to check yours.
I guess that I should feel lucky that I have had no fire but instead I just feel totally ripped off. I bought a very expensive lamp, was assured of customer service in the future, and instead received very little customer service and a fire hazard. Their lack of concern compounds this. Their indifference to customer needs and to the problems this lamp could have caused says much about their need to make money and nothing more.
The URL blow is not for the lamp I purchased since they have removed it. It shows only other lamps like it.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Fire hazard i received and the poor ciustomer service
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- replace my lamp with a 60 LED Lighted 10 Diopter Magnifying Lamp with Lens Cover White
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Magnifying Lamps 10 Diopter
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I purchased furniture with a tag that reads, hobby lobby warehouse reorder furniture $149.99. Furniture Always 30% off, Your price is $104.99 . My 40% coupon was refused at their..."
- "When I ordered from this Company, I was warned prior to purchasing the hair. A video on YouTube called HALO INDIAN HAIR SUCKS!!! warned me of this indian hair vendor...."
- "Eighty-nine homeowners from Bakersfield, CA filed a lawsuit against LENNAR Homes for construction defects. Milstein, Adelman, and Kreger, the firm representing the homeowners, released a statement saying: "These..."
- "After getting through their phone system I finally got to a human. I ordered a timing chain set for my van that was claimed to be a Cloyes Gear &..."
- "proof is everything.. NANCY TAYLOR IS A DISTURBED INDIVIDUAL WHO IS HIDING BEHIND A SMALL CLEANING BUSINESS .... FROM CONFLICTING STATEMENTS IN HER BUSINESS CHARTER TO FALSE & CONFLICTING STATEMENTS..."
- "I received a letter in the mail stating I was "Pre-approved" for a credit card. After having difficulty signing up online I decided to call. Eventually, I was told that..."
- "Ordered three jackets from rosegal.com and two were delivered, still waiting on the third. The quality is mind-blowingly horrible, and the fabric is atrocious. The jackets even SMELL carcinogenic. The..."
- " They paid $10,000 are more of expenses for my automobile which if I did not have a warranty I would had paid all out of pockets, they was their..."
- "SHOCKING DISHONESTY AND FALSE CLAIMS. I was never able to speak to a person. They were supposed to e-mail me when my phone was received and to give me a..."