Avenel, New Jersey

Last year, I attempted several cake recipes that were friends and family favorites for YEARS.None came out right, thinking it was the oven or another ingredient that caused the fail.

Not once did I think it was the DH cake mix as it was always the fail safe ingredient, and I always check and store by expiration dates. It wasn't until I was doing research, determined to find the root cause before I started on my holiday baking, that I discovered DH changed the size of their cake mixes. They also added double the sodium! I was shocked, pissed, and vowed not to use DH again.

I gave my remaining cake mixes to the food pantry and have not made cakes that required mix since. Just recently, I wanted to bring something to a grieving friend. She requested one of my cakes. I was hopeful that with all the complaints, DH would have remedied their mixes.

Sadly, the cake was horrible. Not only does it not bake properly, the taste is just gone.

Apparently when Pinnacle Foods bought the DH brand, it didn't include maintaining the "Relentless commitment to quality in every product and recipe" that Duncan Hines stood by for over 70 years.

Review about: Duncan Hines Butter Golden Cake Mix.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Bad quality / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Duncan Hines?

Comments

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, United States #1198227

They are now putting Palm oil and vegetable shortening instead of barley flour and vegetable oil shortening!I make their or (made) their milk chocolate brownies a few times a week for myself and my family and now will be looking for a new brownie mix!

New mix has NO FLAVOR!

DRY!AWFUL!

kitchener
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1171863

Agreed. We also stopped buying Duncan Hines.