Hampton, Virginia
5.4K views 14 comments

I was a loyal customer of Black Expressions.I loved that there was a place that I could go that had such a large selection of books by African American authors.

Because of this, I was saddened to learn that the website was taken over by Double Day. I decided to just suck it up and deal with it, but after browsing Double Day's website I discovered that they got rid of African American material. There was no Zane, Eric Jerome Dickey, or Carl Weber-all top African American authors.

They could have just cancelled my membership altogether when they took over instead of sending me featured selections of books that I have absolutely no interest in from authors I have never heard of.I have no clue why they chose to wipe out the availability of African American material but it is a shame.

Review about: Books Selection.

3.0
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Poor customer service / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with DoubleDay Book Club?

Comments

Black authors lost money bc Black Expressions was stealing the work and not paying authors. It was like a bootleg site for books. Order books via authors' owned websites.

Vidalia, Georgia, United States #1274293

wow! I was member some yrs ago loved the website@ @

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1261377

I found out the same thing, and it sading me to know that if it wasn't for black expression most of our black people wouldn't think about reading a book. But since the books read touched us in some way or form has been tooken away. So as I was looking for a site to purchase a good read, I ran across this site called Goodreads it has all of authors from Zane on down!

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #1219177

Wow I wondered what happened to them. So sad.

I feel that Double Day books is very wrong for getting rid of all the African American books. The reason I say that is when I look at Double Day books now all I see is White book writers and I feel that is racist.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #1175795

I JUS CANT BELIEVE IT SO WAT THE *** WE DO NOW IM MAD AS ***

Just noticed that too!! How sad!

Being a black author, I was trying to find a way to reach out to BE. I was an a member from high school to college, but they are no more. I'm greatly saddened.

Sherry

I just realized this same thing!I was a loyal BE Club member, but have not ordered in a while.

I was about to place an order for Christmas and no Black authors!!

I'm now cancelling my DD membership.Sad.

to Sherry #1081550

That really sucks.I just happened across Black Expressions, but am saddened to see that it no longer exist.

So I tried a search of some of my favorite African American authors & got zero results every single time on Doubleday. That is such a shame. The only reason I would even consider joining a Doubleday Books would be if they had actual Black American authors. 2043 is getting here way to slow.

That is when the census bureau states the world will no longer have a predominantly white race. Being a biracial American, I truly can't wait to see the changes associated with this racial dynamic. Hello biracial America.

And I do not mean just white & black when I say biracial.All races.