Charles Brzezinski Construction Services - Unprofessional contractor costs us thousands extra
We already left a review of Charles Brzezinski and CBCS but please disregard that review as it was forced out of us because Charles held our project hostage until my wife left positive feedback. We hired Charles to construct a tiny house on a 24x8 ft. flatbed trailer which the build process was to be filmed for a TV show. From the beginning Charles was a bit difficult to deal with however, he had a designer Karen Jennings who was the voice of reason and really heard what we had in mind and kept things on track. We cannot speak highly enough of Karen, her professionalism, attention to detail and integrity are amazing and if you’re looking for a designer we highly recommend her! In our opinion, Charles is one of the most unprofessional, unethical people and in our experience, he has no problem bullying, lying, and threatening when he doesn’t get his way, it was also our experience that he continually over promises and under delivers. During the course of our project Charles made several homophobic jokes and continued to make jokes implying that I was in a romantic relationship with an individual from the show that we were having issues with. This type of behavior is unprofessional enough but he also constantly cursed and used foul language regardless of who was around. Charles was in charge of the build budget that we agreed on and he went grossly over budget, with zero change orders or communication about it with us. After the show left there was a long list of things that he still needed to fix and finish. We communicated to him that we needed the project by 16 December 2016 and he drug his feet and did not complete the project. He got to a point that he considered the project complete and stopped working on it and then held the project hostage on his property demanding more money. On one of the days that I did a walk through pointing out shoddy work and asking what the plan was, this apparently upset Charles and he began to yell, curse and berate me. I simply pulled out my phone and took a video of this.
Any issue, mistake or plain incorrect work Charles would immediately blame outside factors, people with the show, or even us the clients. When we started suspecting that he was using un-licensed sub-contractors we requested a full list of all sub’s information, which he was required to provide to us per our contract he refused to provide this information. When we asked for a list of what our payments were paying for, which is required by CA state law he also refused to provide this information. After 2 months we finally received our project as complete as he was willing to do.
To receive our project we had to sign over a gooseneck trailer that belonged to us, and leave positive feedback.
I have now spent 3 weeks fixing the issues that he refused to fix even though they were on a punch list he was aware of. The following is a list of the top discrepancies that were noted and I have been fixing:
• 2 confirmed water leaks thus far and have to remove large portions of the exterior walls to access
• Gas line leaks
• Remove all the cabinetry for the entertainment area, dismantle them, cut them down to the proper 15 inch depth (that was called in the original design), re-assemble and re-install
• Completely redo the shoddy trim that was haphazardly installed around them the cabinetry
• Paint splatter all over our house and cabinets
• All cabinetry has scratches, dings, and scuffs
• Sink had a large gob of mastic dried and left inside it
• Countertop had an awful caulking job that had to be removed and redone
• The glass mosaic tile that was selected for the kitchen backsplash was ruined. Instead white subway tile left over from our bathroom was installed. The cuts on these tiles are chipped and jagged.
• Sink was not siliconed
• Medicine cabinet disappeared (purchased by us), nothing installed
• Photo sensors for the exterior lights disappeared (purchased by us)
For photos of all of these issues please follow this link: http://unhappyclient.imgur.com/all/
When we hooked up water for the first time we immediately had a leak coming through the wall. We notified him of this on a Thursday and he said the soonest he could take care of it would be the following Tuesday. The location that we had the project was being tented and we could not stay there. We decided to move the house so that Charles would no longer be aware of our location. Based on our interactions with him we didn’t know if he would damage our project or even take it when we weren’t there. We hired a licensed plumber to come out and fix the leak who had to cut a large hole through the front of our house. After fixing the leak he stated (in writing) that the leaking fitting was not installed to code, therefore installed improperly and was very clearly not pressure tested for the required 24 hours prior to putting up the walls.
We believe that the electrical was never installed after installation and we are having a licensed electrician inspect the wiring.
Lastly, during our research after all of these issues it was discovered that the license #999910 that he’s operating under does not belong to him. The contractor license is issued and held by Robert Anthony Lotta who is the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) over Charles. CA state law requires that the RMO be engaged in “direct supervision and control” of the work. Which is any one or combination of the following activities: Supervising construction, managing construction activities by making technical and administrative decisions, checking jobs for proper workmanship, or direct supervision on construction job sites. Reference: Contractor State License Board, Rules & Regulations, Chapter 13, Article 2.
To the best of our knowledge Mr. Lotta did not meet any of those requirements and as far as we know he was not even informed of the project as we had never heard of him, met him, seen his name on ANY paperwork until we ran the license number at www.cslb.ca
Please do the due diligence and research that we unfortunately didn’t do until it was too late before considering hiring this person/company. Do NOT rely on anything discussed over the phone or in person, get EVERYTHING in writing.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
- His staff brendon and karen
What I disliked
- Not being able to trust what was said
- Refusal to provided required documentation
- Reason of review:
- Poor custormer service, multiple poor quality, pricing issue, warranty issue
- Preferred solution:
- I want my trailer back, I also want to be reimbursed for all the professionals that are fixing the issues, the costs that I've taken on to finish unfinished jobs, and materials provided that "disapeared" and to actually finish the house.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Charles Brzezinski Construction Services Home Construction
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "August 8: salesman and order.August 20: no contact from company. I called and made the order.Sept 7: Installation day.Sept 13: ongoing problems.The installers arrived with ceramic tile, and 3 backer..."
- "We originally had our old gutters replaced due to water leakage with new gutters through Gutter Helmet of the Pikes Peak Region a few years ago (Colrado Springs, CO.). Our..."
- "I can't tell you just how devastating it is to invest so much time, money and emotion into building a home only to have it all ripped away simply for..."
- "I just got off the phone with the owner of Fake your job Dot com. What lousy, non-existent customer service they gave me. For one... they don't even have SET..."
- "They do not pay their hold back account on time. This is a one-time retainer that reaches $2,000 (Recently increased to $3,000) and is supposed to be released 105..."
- "1st purchase was a Gucci scarf tote $550. Messaged seller numerous times with no response, was told by Tradesy all they could do was wait to hear from them. Then..."
- "We ordered these headsets in the hopes they would allow our polo team's coach to guide players during practice games. We were looking for the same system used by NFL..."
- "Purchased a pair of Tommy sunglasses for $99 and withing an hour the plastic frame snapped around the lens! I couldn't take them back as I was already at the..."
- "Bad water? DON"T BUY from AZTEC located in Saskatchewan Product is garbage, Service and Management is even worse! Takes months to get a service man and Hidden fees for Mileage..."