San Diego, California
2.4K views 38 comments
100% full Not resolved

We already left a review of Charles Brzezinski and CBCS but please disregard that review as it was forced out of us because Charles held our project hostage until my wife left positive feedback. We hired Charles to construct a tiny house on a 24x8 ft. flatbed trailer which the build process was to be filmed for a TV show. From the beginning Charles was a bit difficult to deal with however, he had a designer Karen Jennings who was the voice of reason and really heard what we had in mind and kept things on track. We cannot speak highly enough of Karen, her professionalism, attention to detail and integrity are amazing and if you’re looking for a designer we highly recommend her! In our opinion, Charles is one of the most unprofessional, unethical people and in our experience, he has no problem bullying, lying, and threatening when he doesn’t get his way, it was also our experience that he continually over promises and under delivers. During the course of our project Charles made several homophobic jokes and continued to make jokes implying that I was in a romantic relationship with an individual from the show that we were having issues with. This type of behavior is unprofessional enough but he also constantly cursed and used foul language regardless of who was around. Charles was in charge of the build budget that we agreed on and he went grossly over budget, with zero change orders or communication about it with us. After the show left there was a long list of things that he still needed to fix and finish. We communicated to him that we needed the project by 16 December 2016 and he drug his feet and did not complete the project. He got to a point that he considered the project complete and stopped working on it and then held the project hostage on his property demanding more money. On one of the days that I did a walk through pointing out shoddy work and asking what the plan was, this apparently upset Charles and he began to yell, curse and berate me. I simply pulled out my phone and took a video of this.

Any issue, mistake or plain incorrect work Charles would immediately blame outside factors, people with the show, or even us the clients. When we started suspecting that he was using un-licensed sub-contractors we requested a full list of all sub’s information, which he was required to provide to us per our contract he refused to provide this information. When we asked for a list of what our payments were paying for, which is required by CA state law he also refused to provide this information. After 2 months we finally received our project as complete as he was willing to do.

To receive our project we had to sign over a gooseneck trailer that belonged to us, and leave positive feedback.

I have now spent 3 weeks fixing the issues that he refused to fix even though they were on a punch list he was aware of. The following is a list of the top discrepancies that were noted and I have been fixing:

• 2 confirmed water leaks thus far and have to remove large portions of the exterior walls to access

• Gas line leaks

• Remove all the cabinetry for the entertainment area, dismantle them, cut them down to the proper 15 inch depth (that was called in the original design), re-assemble and re-install

• Completely redo the shoddy trim that was haphazardly installed around them the cabinetry

• Paint splatter all over our house and cabinets

• All cabinetry has scratches, dings, and scuffs

• Sink had a large gob of mastic dried and left inside it

• Countertop had an awful caulking job that had to be removed and redone

• The glass mosaic tile that was selected for the kitchen backsplash was ruined. Instead white subway tile left over from our bathroom was installed. The cuts on these tiles are chipped and jagged.

• Sink was not siliconed

• Medicine cabinet disappeared (purchased by us), nothing installed

• Photo sensors for the exterior lights disappeared (purchased by us)

For photos of all of these issues please follow this link: http://unhappyclient.imgur.com/all/

When we hooked up water for the first time we immediately had a leak coming through the wall. We notified him of this on a Thursday and he said the soonest he could take care of it would be the following Tuesday. The location that we had the project was being tented and we could not stay there. We decided to move the house so that Charles would no longer be aware of our location. Based on our interactions with him we didn’t know if he would damage our project or even take it when we weren’t there. We hired a licensed plumber to come out and fix the leak who had to cut a large hole through the front of our house. After fixing the leak he stated (in writing) that the leaking fitting was not installed to code, therefore installed improperly and was very clearly not pressure tested for the required 24 hours prior to putting up the walls.

We believe that the electrical was never installed after installation and we are having a licensed electrician inspect the wiring.

Lastly, during our research after all of these issues it was discovered that the license #999910 that he’s operating under does not belong to him. The contractor license is issued and held by Robert Anthony Lotta who is the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) over Charles. CA state law requires that the RMO be engaged in “direct supervision and control” of the work. Which is any one or combination of the following activities: Supervising construction, managing construction activities by making technical and administrative decisions, checking jobs for proper workmanship, or direct supervision on construction job sites. Reference: Contractor State License Board, Rules & Regulations, Chapter 13, Article 2.

To the best of our knowledge Mr. Lotta did not meet any of those requirements and as far as we know he was not even informed of the project as we had never heard of him, met him, seen his name on ANY paperwork until we ran the license number at www.cslb.ca

Please do the due diligence and research that we unfortunately didn’t do until it was too late before considering hiring this person/company. Do NOT rely on anything discussed over the phone or in person, get EVERYTHING in writing.

Review about: Charles Brzezinski Construction Services Home Construction.

I liked: His staff brendon and karen.

I didn't like: Treatment, Unprofessionalism, Not being able to trust what was said, Refusal to provided required documentation, Threats.

1.8
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Poor custormer service, multiple poor quality, pricing issue, warranty issue / $6000
Preferred solution I want my trailer back, I also want to be reimbursed for all the professionals that are fixing the issues, the costs that I've taken on to finish unfinished jobs, and materials provided that "disapeared" and to actually finish the house.

Had an Experience with Charles Brzezinski Construction Services?

Submit review

Comments

He hires strangers off Craigslist.He called me and needed work done in a hurry the next day.

Then he refused to pay me for my work. Then replaced me with someone else.

He gets you to do the work.Then makes up reasons to not pay you.

Charles
to Anonymous San Diego, California, United States #1311065

False comment.

We do not hire anyone from craigslist. If this comment is true then why did you not enforce California law.

Any employee or worker who has worked on a property and is not paid may file a lien on the property for any unpaid wages. Any unpaid employee or worker may file a complaint with the labor board.

Where is your lien and or complaint with the labor board.

Once again false review left by the same person who is continually posting reviews and comment on this site.

to Charles #1315541

Charlies standard response is to cry fake then retaliate with threats of liens slander or strong arm liens or all the above. Honest contractors wouldnt need this

to Anonymous Chula Vista, California, United States #1311768

Please contact us!Our phone numbers and emails are listed in all of the comments and complaints!

Please help us put a stop to this person and company! It's not just all his un-paid "employees", it's a rapidly grown number of hard working people that he's continually de-frauded and gotten away with it due to lying, intimidation, and abandonment.

Follow this link to see the 13 citations pending against Charles and CBCS by the CA State Licensing board: https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CitationViolationDisclosure.aspx?LicType=LIC&LicNum=999910&LmfPre=&Class=2&FiscalYear=2016&SeqNbr=2499&ActionCde=P&Status=PENDING&LicName=C+B+C+S&StatusDt=03/30/2017

Citations:

CODE Business & Professions Code

VIOLATION 7115

DESCRIPTION Failed to comply with Contractor's License Law CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7068.1 DESCRIPTION Failed to exercise Qualifier's responsibility CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7159.C5 DESCRIPTION Change order not incorporated in the contract CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7159.E1B DESCRIPTION No notice re: name & phone of liability insurance carrier CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7159.E1C DESCRIPTION No notice re: contractor is self insured w/liability ins. CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7159.E2A DESCRIPTION No notice as to not having employees and exemption from WC CODE Business & Professions Code VIOLATION 7159.E2B DESCRIPTION No...

If nothing else, please get the word out and follow the proper legal channels to reclaim monies from Mr.Brzezinski!

I suggest a counter-suit to his for the above complaints, costs and breach of contract.

VIOLENT SOCIOPATH. DO NOT HIRE. ITS PUBLIC RECORD.

to Anonymous #1304125

WOW! thank god people are seeing the light on this guy. #thetruth #thetruthhurtsCharlie.

San Diego, California, United States #1296820

***BEWARE***

Be aware that Charles has now changed the name of his company from Charles Brzezinski Construction Company (CBCS) TO CENTERBEAM CONSTRUCTION AND REMODEL, www.centerbeams.com

Also be aware that his license 999910 is currently suspended (as of the date of this post) follow this link to see/verify: https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/onlineservices/CheckLicenseII/checklicense.aspx

Check Better Business Beau to view his unresolved disputes.Follow this link to see all the past and ongoing lawsuits that Mr.

Brzezinski is involved in: http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/viewname

There you will see a long list of lawsuits where Mr.

Brzezinski is primarily the Plaintiff/Petitioner.Recommend not hiring this individual/company but if you do, follow all of these links and read the reviews to get an idea of what your future will look like.

Do not hire this person without doing a complete background check you will be sorry and lose money. Get everything in writing and have witnesses for every interaction.

San Diego, California, United States #1278315

Call me to join in the legal action that I'm taking with CBCS

call me at 619-778-4198