Charles Brzezinski Construction Services - Unprofessional contractor costs us thousands extra

3 of 3 Charles Brzezinski Construction Services reviews

We already left a review of Charles Brzezinski and CBCS but please disregard that review as it was forced out of us because Charles held our project hostage until my wife left positive feedback. We hired Charles to construct a tiny house on a 24x8 ft. flatbed trailer which the build process was to be filmed for a TV show. From the beginning Charles was a bit difficult to deal with however, he had a designer Karen Jennings who was the voice of reason and really heard what we had in mind and kept things on track. We cannot speak highly enough of Karen, her professionalism, attention to detail and integrity are amazing and if you’re looking for a designer we highly recommend her! In our opinion, Charles is one of the most unprofessional, unethical people and in our experience, he has no problem bullying, lying, and threatening when he doesn’t get his way, it was also our experience that he continually over promises and under delivers. During the course of our project Charles made several homophobic jokes and continued to make jokes implying that I was in a romantic relationship with an individual from the show that we were having issues with. This type of behavior is unprofessional enough but he also constantly cursed and used foul language regardless of who was around. Charles was in charge of the build budget that we agreed on and he went grossly over budget, with zero change orders or communication about it with us. After the show left there was a long list of things that he still needed to fix and finish. We communicated to him that we needed the project by 16 December 2016 and he drug his feet and did not complete the project. He got to a point that he considered the project complete and stopped working on it and then held the project hostage on his property demanding more money. On one of the days that I did a walk through pointing out shoddy work and asking what the plan was, this apparently upset Charles and he began to yell, curse and berate me. I simply pulled out my phone and took a video of this.

Any issue, mistake or plain incorrect work Charles would immediately blame outside factors, people with the show, or even us the clients. When we started suspecting that he was using un-licensed sub-contractors we requested a full list of all sub’s information, which he was required to provide to us per our contract he refused to provide this information. When we asked for a list of what our payments were paying for, which is required by CA state law he also refused to provide this information. After 2 months we finally received our project as complete as he was willing to do.

To receive our project we had to sign over a gooseneck trailer that belonged to us, and leave positive feedback.

I have now spent 3 weeks fixing the issues that he refused to fix even though they were on a punch list he was aware of. The following is a list of the top discrepancies that were noted and I have been fixing:

• 2 confirmed water leaks thus far and have to remove large portions of the exterior walls to access

• Gas line leaks

• Remove all the cabinetry for the entertainment area, dismantle them, cut them down to the proper 15 inch depth (that was called in the original design), re-assemble and re-install

• Completely redo the shoddy trim that was haphazardly installed around them the cabinetry

• Paint splatter all over our house and cabinets

• All cabinetry has scratches, dings, and scuffs

• Sink had a large gob of mastic dried and left inside it

• Countertop had an awful caulking job that had to be removed and redone

• The glass mosaic tile that was selected for the kitchen backsplash was ruined. Instead white subway tile left over from our bathroom was installed. The cuts on these tiles are chipped and jagged.

• Sink was not siliconed

• Medicine cabinet disappeared (purchased by us), nothing installed

• Photo sensors for the exterior lights disappeared (purchased by us)

For photos of all of these issues please follow this link: http://unhappyclient.imgur.com/all/

When we hooked up water for the first time we immediately had a leak coming through the wall. We notified him of this on a Thursday and he said the soonest he could take care of it would be the following Tuesday. The location that we had the project was being tented and we could not stay there. We decided to move the house so that Charles would no longer be aware of our location. Based on our interactions with him we didn’t know if he would damage our project or even take it when we weren’t there. We hired a licensed plumber to come out and fix the leak who had to cut a large hole through the front of our house. After fixing the leak he stated (in writing) that the leaking fitting was not installed to code, therefore installed improperly and was very clearly not pressure tested for the required 24 hours prior to putting up the walls.

We believe that the electrical was never installed after installation and we are having a licensed electrician inspect the wiring.

Lastly, during our research after all of these issues it was discovered that the license #999910 that he’s operating under does not belong to him. The contractor license is issued and held by Robert Anthony Lotta who is the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) over Charles. CA state law requires that the RMO be engaged in “direct supervision and control” of the work. Which is any one or combination of the following activities: Supervising construction, managing construction activities by making technical and administrative decisions, checking jobs for proper workmanship, or direct supervision on construction job sites. Reference: Contractor State License Board, Rules & Regulations, Chapter 13, Article 2.

To the best of our knowledge Mr. Lotta did not meet any of those requirements and as far as we know he was not even informed of the project as we had never heard of him, met him, seen his name on ANY paperwork until we ran the license number at www.cslb.ca

Please do the due diligence and research that we unfortunately didn’t do until it was too late before considering hiring this person/company. Do NOT rely on anything discussed over the phone or in person, get EVERYTHING in writing.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
    • His staff brendon and karen
  • What I disliked
    • Treatment
    • Unprofessionalism
    • Not being able to trust what was said
    • Refusal to provided required documentation
    • Threats

Reason of review:
Poor custormer service, multiple poor quality, pricing issue, warranty issue
Preferred solution:
I want my trailer back, I also want to be reimbursed for all the professionals that are fixing the issues, the costs that I've taken on to finish unfinished jobs, and materials provided that "disapeared" and to actually finish the house.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Charles Brzezinski Construction Services Home Construction
Review category
Home Construction and Repair
review #791359

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Charles Brzezinski Construction Services? Submit review ›
Helpful? 175 Yes 175 7 No 7
Had the same issue 11 Yes 11
3 of 3 Charles Brzezinski Construction Services reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 31 #1192717 Ridgeland, Mississippi, United States

contractor illegally and without permission or knowledge of homeowner uploaded video of my house to youtube. which was not even completed even according to so called video. missing closets, doorknobs, front brick not completed correctly for starts! This is evidence of bullying and harassment as contractor owes me money, and exposing me to possible criminal activities!

122 2 Reply

Jun 30 #1179504

Basic remodel. paint, flooring
?First of all the job was abandoned. There was a complete failure to meet deadlines, Change orders where not signed or approved, and they are formatted incorrectly.?I was forced to hire other contractors. Come to find out he is working with Mr. Lotta who was supposed to supervise him this did not happen and when I complained Mr. Brezinski suddenly manufactured so called change orders that where not approved. I have lost revenue to the excessive time that my remodel was not worked on. I had to make two trips from Albuquerque to San Diego at $1200 cost to me. The day the Mr. Brezinski deemed to complete the project he demanded more money even though he was not meeting his own self-dictated deadline that was never agreeded to. I was double charged $2200 for the bathroom and am owed money for a front door that was not delievered after three months. Mr. Brezinski will not ever take responsibility for anything and blames it on outside forces, and even the client. Mr. Brezinski went severly over budget. I was never advised of any deadlines and none where ever met. the project was left undone the front steps, door, kitchen appliances not installed as agreeded to. There was a leak in the kitchen sink that he refused to fix. I am out thousands of dollars

117 2 Reply

Jun 24 #1177476 Mishawaka, Indiana, United States

I can verify everything in the above complaint as I have had the exact same issues. My remodel was not completed and the sink leaked and there where many other issues I had to have corrected. It cost me thousands of dollars extra and was a total nightmare. See my current review some have been erased for some unknown reason.

125 1 Reply

Jun 21 #1175718

I know Charles Brzezinski, I live in lakeside ca my whole life and without a ? it's ALL true "Charles is one of the most unprofessional, unethical people and in our experience, he has no problem bullying, lying, and threatening when he doesn’t get his way, it was also our experience that he continually over promises and under delivers."

142 3 Reply

May 14 #1158930

This is the owner of Charles Brzezinski Construction Services. I was contacted by the complainant’s wife to build a tiny home on a trailer for the TV show Tiny House Nation. An agreement was made to build the home with a large volume of finish materials which would be provided by the show known as trade credits. These trade credits are materials which are provided by manufactures for advertising purposes. When the contract was signed by both the complainant and his wife there was a stipulation stating if the TV show failed to deliver certain materials, we would not be responsible for any additional cost to purchase the materials. They were made aware of this as we went through the contract page by page prior to signing.
From the start complainant and his wife had very little input to the design and build of the tiny home. Myself and my designer spent days working through a design from exterior to interior. Basically we designed the whole trailer with very little to no input from the complainant and his wife. I don’t think one single thing was changed or denied by the complainant or his wife. The design was completed and approved about a month before the start of the build.
The complainant had a friend of a friend who had property where the build was going to take place. Approximately three weeks prior to the build start date, we visited the property for the first time. It turned out to be a rundown property with no room for the build to take place. I offered to have

13 146 Reply

Apr 12 #1143719

I work with the show and I would like to say each of the allegations above are false. This tiny home is one of the best constructed we have ever filmed. The attention to detail and the professionalism in the build made by Charles and his crew is far beyond others we have filmed. We have both film and photos of the completed tiny home and comparing the photos provided by the homeowner, he has altered the materials attempting to make Charles and his company look bad. From the start we had issues with the homeowner where several staff members refused to work with him. Through my understanding our build manager was informed the homeowner had ran out of money prior to build completion and relied on Charles to complete the home. We applaud Charles in completing the home and making the filming deadline possible.
I would not take any of the comments made by the homeowner as factual as I personally seen the tiny home after completion and it is beautiful. You can make that determination when the show airs in May 2016 Tiny House Nation San Diego

11 146 Reply

Jun 15 #1173518

This is a complete bogus comment that (based on the grammar and language used) was quite clearly left by Charles himself. None of the photos located at: http://unhappyclient.imgur.com/all/ have been doctored or altered in the least! Not only did Charles hold this project hostage when we refused to continue to him thousands extra but he attempted to charge us for things provided by the show. The ONLY reason Charles "completed" (using that term loosely as 4 months after receiving the project I'm still finding new issues and fixing the ones listed in my original post) is because THN was not going to air the show until we received it because they still had to film the "bounce back" portion and Charles wouldn't get his 5 min of fame otherwise. If you watch the show he was edited out of nearly the entire 63 min. episode.
On top of this, both my wife and I have a very good continuing relationship with both the producers, and the host of the show John, and very much doubt ANY member of THN would have the unprofessionalism to leave the above comment ESPECIALLY prior to the airing of the show. The fact of the matter is we did not run out of money, he ran us thousands over budget, we had zero change orders, refused to provide us with any of the required documentation that was in the contract that he wrote, failed to follow California Law AND misrepresented himself as the actual holder of the license he was operating under and never informed us of Mr. Lotta. Because of all

119 1 Reply

Jun 29 #1179419 Ridgeland, Mississippi, United States

I have had similar issues with Mr. Brezinski. my project was so far delayed as well. I filed complaints with the BBB. My kitchen sink leaked right off the bat. to the above commenter feel free to contact me. I was also never informed of Mr. Lotta's involvement
julieblalock@att.net

112 2 Reply
Charles

Aug 03 #1194357 San Diego, California, United States

I want to thank you for continually contradicting yourself and finally admitting we were not the only ones who worked on the trailer. We were not behind schedule and it is normal practice for the film build crew to work on the project as you can see in every episode.
As to the schedule, the tiny home was made film ready and revealed to you in 6 days. We were not behind schedule compared to other shows as most built times are in excess of 8 days. This can be verified by simply watching the show.
Your photos are doctored and you are showing work when it was in the building stages or work we did not do. This can be verified by the video which was taken the day I delivered the trailer to your home.
You continue to lie. The framing of the trailer started end of November, the filming of the show was the first week of December and the trailer was delivered to you in early January. The only reason why it was delivered to you in January was you guys could not come up with the funds to fulfill the contract amount. You ended up giving me an old 1991 wore out gooseneck trailer as payment. The only reason I took the trailer was due to the simple fact that I was tired of reading text messages and emails from you and your wife crying that you had no money and were living pay check to pay check. I was the nice guy as in all rights I had legal custody of the trailer and could have kept it until the contract was paid in full.
As to

3 117 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.