Verified Reviewer

The company, Characters For Hire LLC, is scamming people and doing illegal activity. I have done a lot of services for them including makeup, purchasing costumes, wigs, props, rental cars, etc (after their approval), worked under unsafe Covid conditions (came down with Covid 3 days after working their crowded, indoor, unmasked event, where they had no Covid regulations, regardless of their promises to have them in place).

They have paid me in the past, but it was ALWAYS a hassle as I had to reach out to them about getting paid properly and fully for months.

When it comes to payments they have delayed my checks for up to 9 months, dodged my messages and phone calls, they have constantly and purposefully miscommunicated regarding jobs and payment, they encourage people to write reviews in order to get paid, and bully people to remove their negative reviews. When I wrote a review about my experience and how I haven't gotten paid (because they've been dodging me, can't even call them), their immediate response was "You have 24 hours to remove this review or this will be turned into a legal matter" in a text message.

They have told me that in order to get paid for work I have already completed, I have to sign an NDA equivalent (to shut me up), and remove my review about my experience. I refused, and they denied paying me for work I've already done 9 months ago. This activity is illegal, and they have done this to several people (among other unprofessional stories I've heard from other experiences).

All stories are the same - getting paid/reimbursed is a nightmare. There are several people i know who share many similar stories about this company - such as being left stranded in middle of no where, the company making fake yelp reviews against their contractors, and more horror stories.

people have sued them for not getting paid.

They are taking advantage of artists with their shady behavior. I was told they have gotten banned off of websites because they don't pay their contractors.

P.s They have been sued by Disney for using licensed characters, and they continue to use themUSTuust

Preferred solution: complete payment and stop mistreating your contractors.

Characters For Hire Pros: Events are usually fun.

Characters For Hire Cons: Take forever to pay you, Mistreat you, Put your life at risk in order to make a profit.

Location: 1440 Broadway, New York, NY 10018