Carlin Jensen - slumlord evicted us instead of the rats. $12,000 damage
8159 Quail Ridge Court, Sacramento, CA 95828
My family lived at the above address for seven years. We rented the house from Carlin Jensen and his partner Gerardo Rico. The rent had always been higher relative to the cost of local homes of its size, but we have kids established in local schools, so we put up with it. We also had to do much of our own maintenance on the house, as Carlin lived in San Jose and never really made himself available to maintain his house.
In January 2008 the side fence blew down during a strong wind storm. It took Carlin six months to repair it and he only repaired the one that actually fell down… not the other two that were rotted and swaying in the wind. We "˜shared' our backyard with our neighbors during that whole time.
Several months after that repair, Carlin had the opposing fence replaced. Soon after, we found significant rat damage in our garage. Rats had chewed all of the the rubber and plastic throughout our vehicle causing a total loss (nearly $9600). They had also chewed our personal property in the garage causing over $2000 in damage. Carlin responded to our pleas for pest control only when he heard that the rats had chewed several holes into his garage roof. These he repaired promptly.
Other things started to break that added to the habitability issue. The back sliding door stopped rolling freely (1 less fire escape), and the dishwasher rusted away at the base, allowing its door to free-fall onto our kids. Faucets and toilets fell into disrepair as well. We started to withhold rent in July 2010, knowing that Carlin would have to respond. This was nearly a year after our initial complaint of rat infestation.
Carlin sent out an exterminator finally, but only authorized them to lay the same rat traps that we had been using unsuccessfully for the previous year. He made appointments to fix our other items during the weekends and either never showed up or showed up 4 hours late with no call. This was ruining our weekends.
Now (thanks to Carlin), we have an eviction on our record; even though our affirmative defense of habitability issues was sound. The law states that Carlin (as a landlord) has given us an implied warranty of habitability. Further, that infestations of vermin and safety issues fall within the warranty definition. We didn't have an attorney. Carlin did. The judge ignored our complaints as if he were a landlord himself. He was biased and impatient with us.
So now we're out. We were lucky to find a place where Carlin's referral wasn't required because contrary to what he said, he made himself completely unavailable to our prospective landlords. He had effectively trapped us in this house. No landlord will rent to you with zero verifiable residence history for the last 7 years.
Carlin has been masking the things that need to be fixed around the house (not actually fixing them) so that you will be the next renter fooled into paying his mortgage. He is trying to charge us for normal wear and tear items such as paint, carpet and thousands of dollars in labor on top of it. I'll remind you that we were there paying rent steadily for seven years.
Now Carlin Jensen is trying to make a profit at our expense and looking to fill his rat infested, moldy and dangerous house with YOUR FAMILY. Carlin Jensen is a lazy, cheap, bully of a landlord.
Don't fall for it. Don't become his next victim. He wants you to just pay his mortgage and shut your mouth. When you have a problem with his house, he will ignore you and then toss you aside to find someone else that will put up with it. Do yourself a huge favor and just say NO to Carlin Jensen.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- House Rent Experience
- Review category
- Real Estate
You May Also Like
- "WILLIAMS FAMILY WHO RENT HOUSE AT 3012 CHARLES ST. OMAHA NE 68131 HAVE HARASSED MY FAMILY FOR 14 MONTHS NOW. WILLIAMS FAMILY DEALS DRUGS & PROSTITUTION IS GOING ON. THEY..."
- "I paid for sale by owner on April 13th to mls list our house. It did not get to MLS until almost the end of the month. ..."
- "These are some of the problems. I have reported in the home. Caroline refuses to come to the home to see the issues. These are not pricely repairs, this is..."
- "So it was my wife's bad in the first place that she accidentally returned our PS3 game Rockband instead of the movie we rented back to Netflix. They sent an..."
- "Ordered customize dress with measurement 36 inches for chest and hip, 30 inches waist and 50 inches hollow to floor. Jacket received with 30 inches chest. Dress received with 32..."
- "I placed my Mother's Day order the Tuesday May 5, 2015 before Mother's Day with a promise that the flowers arrangement would be delivered the Thursday May 7, 2015 or..."
- "Ridiculous delays in shipping, packaging that is clearly labeled "FRAGILE" on all sides of the box is NOT being taken note of, many packages arrive smashed. I have witnessed drivers..."
- "We paid $500 for a Larson security door including installation by a contractor! This door was presented with a video of being beaten with a bat, and a crowbar with..."
- "Big time violation. The management allowed a lady who is a close friend to move everything from her filthy apartment into my 80 year old aunts apartment after the ***..."