Brio Fragrance Won't Pay The Contractual Artist Royalties
My name is Jessica Galbreth, a popular fantasy/fairy artist who does a fair amount of licensing to manufacturers with my art. In 2005, I was contacted by Janet Hare of Brio Fragrance, stating that the large retail chain Hot Topic was interested in my art for a perfume line. Brio, being the manufacturer of perfumes, wanted to license my art to produce a perfume for Hot Topic. We signed a contract at this point, stating that Brio would give me reports on sales and pay me royalties on all perfume sales.
As time went by, and no reports or royalties came as scheduled, I began to call and e-mail Janet for an explanation. After all, I saw my perfume, Violet Moon, on the shelves at Hot Topic. I received no response.
After years went by with no response, I then began seeing this same perfume for sale on ebay and through other on-line shops. I began to get quite angry, understandably. Still no response to my voicemails, e-mails, etc.
My husband had an idea to call Brio and pretend to be a store considering buying my Violet Moon perfume. Thinking he was an interested customer, magically, Janet Hare instantly called him back, and e-mailed him back, stating that my perfume sold very well for them. Once he had her on the phone, he confronted her with who he really was.
She then promissed to send us a check catching up on all past royalties owed, though she would never admit how much she owed us. That was in May, 2009. To this day, this company has NEVER paid me a single penny, or sent me a report.
I could legally pursue this, but it would costs me many more dollars than I'd ever get back, so I'm posting here in hopes that no other artists will fall victim to this.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Violet Moon Perfume
- Review category
- Cosmetics and Toiletries
You May Also Like
- "I was at the shop till you drop at the convention center in the greater shreveport/bossier city la. I cam across a booth for make up and creams as a..."
- "I watched several different videos of people that I actually knew using this product. I was excited that it might actually work the way they showed since these were..."
- "I used the self tanner by arbonne as directed. I had the worst reaction. I've never had any bad reactions to self tanners from any other company. My eyes swelled...."
- "Here's the hackjob Banfield did while my dog was getting spayed yesterday..."
- "You are selling a product called syringe pens. In light of all of the heroin overdoses it is highly inappropriate. Its one thing for a doctor to use it as..."
- "What a rip! Ordered beautiful arrangement from what I thought was a “family owned business”. The arrangement was delivered on time. The service train crashes at this..."
- "Dear Sir/Madam, I'm writing this letter to report the immorality of Mr. Mark Kevin Concepcion while on duty. As per Mark Kevin Concepcion he was sent by your good company..."
- "I purchased a new home in May of 2016 from this builder in Indianola Iowa. The home itself was beautiful and they did an overall great job. I did not..."
- "Ava's Flowers charged me $60 for the most pathetic arrangement that wasn't even remotely close to what I ordered. I was so embarrassed. I sent it to a client contact..."