Brio Fragrance Won't Pay The Contractual Artist Royalties
My name is Jessica Galbreth, a popular fantasy/fairy artist who does a fair amount of licensing to manufacturers with my art. In 2005, I was contacted by Janet Hare of Brio Fragrance, stating that the large retail chain Hot Topic was interested in my art for a perfume line. Brio, being the manufacturer of perfumes, wanted to license my art to produce a perfume for Hot Topic. We signed a contract at this point, stating that Brio would give me reports on sales and pay me royalties on all perfume sales.
As time went by, and no reports or royalties came as scheduled, I began to call and e-mail Janet for an explanation. After all, I saw my perfume, Violet Moon, on the shelves at Hot Topic. I received no response.
After years went by with no response, I then began seeing this same perfume for sale on ebay and through other on-line shops. I began to get quite angry, understandably. Still no response to my voicemails, e-mails, etc.
My husband had an idea to call Brio and pretend to be a store considering buying my Violet Moon perfume. Thinking he was an interested customer, magically, Janet Hare instantly called him back, and e-mailed him back, stating that my perfume sold very well for them. Once he had her on the phone, he confronted her with who he really was.
She then promissed to send us a check catching up on all past royalties owed, though she would never admit how much she owed us. That was in May, 2009. To this day, this company has NEVER paid me a single penny, or sent me a report.
I could legally pursue this, but it would costs me many more dollars than I'd ever get back, so I'm posting here in hopes that no other artists will fall victim to this.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Violet Moon Perfume
- Review category
- Cosmetics and Toiletries
You May Also Like
- "I purchased the Garnier "Blow Dry Perfector" kit that claims to keep your hair sleek and easier to blow-dry for up to 7 washes. Here's just the tip of..."
- "I ordered Timewise kit and deep wrinkle filler. I used for 12 weeks and didn't do what they claimed it would. Didn't improve skin or wrinkles. I did return item..."
- "This advertisement: which claims to be endorsed by dr. Oz. seems to be a *** , when you call the number on there web site you get know real person,..."
- "I'd like to bring to your attention a service and product quality breakdown (both of these). Last week I took my mother-in-law to your store because I happened to be..."
- "Here's the hackjob Banfield did while my dog was getting spayed yesterday..."
- "I must say I have seen some complicated scams before but this one ranks right up there. Do not do any work with this so called media group called Zillion..."
- "OMG DONT RENT FROM THEM!! They are slum lords! Online the pictures were of a nice house. I rented via internet moving from Florida to Indiana. What I got was..."
- "I have been working for IDC as a high-tech recruiter. IDC is filled with new and latest technology and I learned many new strategies and techniques while working for IDC...."
- "I wouldn’t advise anyone to ever shop at this Prattville, Alabama location. If I could, I would give them zero (0) stars, but I have to give them at least..."