Brio Fragrance Won't Pay The Contractual Artist Royalties
My name is Jessica Galbreth, a popular fantasy/fairy artist who does a fair amount of licensing to manufacturers with my art. In 2005, I was contacted by Janet Hare of Brio Fragrance, stating that the large retail chain Hot Topic was interested in my art for a perfume line. Brio, being the manufacturer of perfumes, wanted to license my art to produce a perfume for Hot Topic. We signed a contract at this point, stating that Brio would give me reports on sales and pay me royalties on all perfume sales.
As time went by, and no reports or royalties came as scheduled, I began to call and e-mail Janet for an explanation. After all, I saw my perfume, Violet Moon, on the shelves at Hot Topic. I received no response.
After years went by with no response, I then began seeing this same perfume for sale on ebay and through other on-line shops. I began to get quite angry, understandably. Still no response to my voicemails, e-mails, etc.
My husband had an idea to call Brio and pretend to be a store considering buying my Violet Moon perfume. Thinking he was an interested customer, magically, Janet Hare instantly called him back, and e-mailed him back, stating that my perfume sold very well for them. Once he had her on the phone, he confronted her with who he really was.
She then promissed to send us a check catching up on all past royalties owed, though she would never admit how much she owed us. That was in May, 2009. To this day, this company has NEVER paid me a single penny, or sent me a report.
I could legally pursue this, but it would costs me many more dollars than I'd ever get back, so I'm posting here in hopes that no other artists will fall victim to this.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Violet Moon Perfume
- Review category
- Cosmetics and Toiletries
You May Also Like
- "I am an 18 year old girl with long, wavy, brown hair (can be seen in the picture). My hair tends to get a little frizzy but nothing to hard..."
- "I started using R+F at the end of this past May. I was so impressed with my personal results within (3 days), that I decided to join to get a..."
- "I was at the shop till you drop at the convention center in the greater shreveport/bossier city la. I cam across a booth for make up and creams as a..."
- "I purchased a waist training belt. I wore it one time and in less than two hours, it tore in two places. I tried returning it and have just been..."
- "Chrysler Capital Auto Leasing refuses to terminate lease dismisses or acknowledge that they failed in Specific Performance on their contract by negating malfunctioning Jeep vehicle problems........ FCA Recall S55/NHSTA 16V-529..."
- "HEY EVERYONE PLEASE DO THIS SO WE CAN GET THE WORD OUT THERE TO LET MORE PEOPLE KNOW THIS IS A SCAM If you been scammed by preview models please..."
- "I'd like to bring to your attention a service and product quality breakdown (both of these). Last week I took my mother-in-law to your store because I happened to be..."
- "I must say I have seen some complicated scams before but this one ranks right up there. Do not do any work with this so called media group called Zillion..."
- "You are selling a product called syringe pens. In light of all of the heroin overdoses it is highly inappropriate. Its one thing for a doctor to use it as..."