Brio Fragrance Won't Pay The Contractual Artist Royalties

2 of 4 Brio Fragrance reviews

My name is Jessica Galbreth, a popular fantasy/fairy artist who does a fair amount of licensing to manufacturers with my art. In 2005, I was contacted by Janet Hare of Brio Fragrance, stating that the large retail chain Hot Topic was interested in my art for a perfume line. Brio, being the manufacturer of perfumes, wanted to license my art to produce a perfume for Hot Topic. We signed a contract at this point, stating that Brio would give me reports on sales and pay me royalties on all perfume sales.

As time went by, and no reports or royalties came as scheduled, I began to call and e-mail Janet for an explanation. After all, I saw my perfume, Violet Moon, on the shelves at Hot Topic. I received no response.

After years went by with no response, I then began seeing this same perfume for sale on ebay and through other on-line shops. I began to get quite angry, understandably. Still no response to my voicemails, e-mails, etc.

My husband had an idea to call Brio and pretend to be a store considering buying my Violet Moon perfume. Thinking he was an interested customer, magically, Janet Hare instantly called him back, and e-mailed him back, stating that my perfume sold very well for them. Once he had her on the phone, he confronted her with who he really was.

She then promissed to send us a check catching up on all past royalties owed, though she would never admit how much she owed us. That was in May, 2009. To this day, this company has NEVER paid me a single penny, or sent me a report.

I could legally pursue this, but it would costs me many more dollars than I'd ever get back, so I'm posting here in hopes that no other artists will fall victim to this.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
2 of 4 Brio Fragrance reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
JessicaGalbreth

Jul 30, 2010 #170280

Update....today I have received a partial payment from Brio for past royalties. I wanted to be fair and post that as an addendum to this. While my entire royalty amount hasn't been settled, at least they have made an attempt to get caught up with me, and have promissed to cease and desist all further sales of the product featuring my art and name. I'm satisfied for the most part.

1 0 Reply

May 02, 2015 #979277

I hate that they mistreated you, I would however like to say that I'm sad they discontinued it. This was my first perfume purchase and it is still my favorite scent and bottle. Even though it is empty I kept the bottle for the lovely fairy depicted.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Brio Fragrance.
Filing a new complaint about
×