Washington, District Of Columbia
1.3K views 17 comments

Received the online February Sale catalog for the Sons and Daughter horse sale.Advertised as big production sale, not an auction.

BLS claims to have a lameness and bred mare guarantee. There was a photo of a stallion with nice description that I made a telephone bid on from Wyoming. The BLS sales person in the auction ring told me the horse had long hair from the winter. I bid and the horse was delivered to Utah, lame on three legs, starving, lice ridden with patches of no hair.

Clearly very ill and the photo in the catalog must have been over five years old. I called and Bill Parker said the guarantee was only if I RETURNED the horse by noon the next day and he would "trot him up and down and decide if he's lame" Bill stated he would not recognise a veterinarian's test for lameness. The horse was transported without a health certificate and could not leave Utah! I also could not transport him home to Wyoming either.

I was forced to pay board and vet bills as well as feed, medications and supplements and Jann and Bill Parker refuse to cooperate, threatening me and blaming me. BLS does NOT honor their lameness guarantee and the horse was 200 #s underweight, permanently lame on three legs, and so lice infested that I had to treat him three times for lice before he was considered free of disease. BLS is a killer auction mentality and does NOT honor their published guarentee and refer you to the seller but refuse to give the seller's contact information.

Stuck between rock and hard space!BUYER BEWARE as BLS is a slaughter auction and behaves unprofessionally!

Review about: Horses.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $650
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Billings Livestock Horse Sales?

Comments

Grace
New Mexico, United States #875986

I was looking forward to going to the bls in March to hopefully get a great trail/mountain horse. Now after reading your reviews I'm not sure. Where can a person go to get a good quality sound broke horse!?

to Grace Utah, United States #876336

I don't know who to trust.ALWAYS use your personal vet for a pre-purchase exam and have x-rays and blood work for drugs.

I prefer to use local trainers and clubs/groups when looking.I wish I had one for you but mine are young or green broke.

grace
to richdeni New Mexico, United States #877637

Thank you for your reply.i will take your advice on the vet and exams you mentioned.I noticed you are from utah, any advice or knowledge on brian billings and the performance horse sale they put on in oakley utah?

Ive heard and researched on that sale and it seems to be reputable.

Not a sales barn type auction.Just a handful of cowboys that bring their best to the sale.

to grace Utah, United States #878989

I don't know them personally as I don't really buy horses, I bred a few the last couple of years, but it sounds like a better sale especially if it is closer to you than Billings.Get on their website and read every word of their contract.

Look for catch phrases that state THEY determine condition rather than a vet. Billings states that they determine soundness and they have final say over all complaints. If you don't have options or recourses, then it isn't a good sale. Some cowboys are have that used car salesman mentality and I wouldn't trust that.

Most cowboys are honest and can be trustworthy. Remember, if it is too good to be true - RUN AWAY! Remember, if they say their horse "needs an experienced rider" that is code for "freakin' nuts!" LOL Good luck - it won't hurt to go and watch/talk to the cowboys.

Talk to the other buyers too for how long they've been coming and if they are happy or if they experienced any problems.Good advertising doesn't equal honest people.

horsebreeder66
to Grace #895114

There are breeders and people like ourselves that are family oriented that do not want others to lose interest in horses, we love what we do, and I am working with several people right now, getting them used to the horse, most don't realize that a person must match the horse, It makes for a very good relationship, if you buy from an auction, you buy what you see, there is no one that will tell you all the little quirks that horse may have, or anything bad they may have gone through, horses do not forget, many can get over situations that have happened but they do not forget, only buy from breeders, NOT autions, if you are looking for something that has not been over ridden, or had injuries to there legs, here is a good thing to remember, if they are selling it at an auction, more than likely it is something that has issues, People do not get rid of there best horses, usually, and yes they drug them so that they can make it through a sale and the new owner gets it home, which is herendous, but happens all the time, very sad, don't lose hope, there are tons of breeders out there good ones that will help you and answer questions so you really know what you are buying sorry you have had a horrible experience, that is not fair at all.

DDAppaloosas
to Grace Salt Lake City, Utah, United States #1255542

I'm really not sure.Since my experience with Billings, I am a HUGE advocate of viewing the horse personally and staying local!

View for sale boards: electronic and at local horse facilities, tack shops, veterinarians, stables, etc. First make an appointment to see the horse and spend at least 30 minutes with the horse while the owner puts it through it's paces. Then, without notice (to avoid drugging) drop by to see the horse again. If you are still interested, go with the owner and the horse to the vet for a full exam and blood tests.

Yes, it costs money, but will save heartbreak. You are committing to years with a companion and a huge, long term expense. Spend time and money up front. If the seller pressures you - step back and walk away.

If at a local stable, you could lease for 30 days to give the horse a try. Believe in the personality of the horse and what it's behavior is telling you and go with your gut, not your heart. Good luck! I'm in Utah and have a 10 year old gelding but he is considered green broke, only rides 10 on trails, so not a finished horse.

He's on KSL, an Appaloosa gelding-but I'm not local to you, buying at a distance can work if you protect yourself. Good luck and ask everyone for advice!

Everyone loves to put in their 2 cents worth!;)

Lon
Rock Springs, Wyoming, United States #730509

it it a shame that good people are getting ripped off who go to BLS sales looking for there perfect horse to buy & and end up having to put the horse down because of problems hidden with tranqs or bute or to accure hundreds to thousands dollars in vet bills because of the hidden health problems. And good people wanting to see there horse just to be low balled of a good price so benny can pick them up for slaughter, either way if your not part of network you lose either way

wish there was another horse auction place where no horse killers were allowed, & the horses coming in where tested for bute or other pain med or tranqs in there system feet, were checked for fill in putty hidding the moon shape of founder every one would be treated good, no buddy buddy or clickish groups this is how I would run a horse auction if I had one

to Lon Echo Lake, California, United States #1253815

I was booted reading some of the reviews here.I have no skin in the game, but I do know that Bill (deceased)and jan Parker are good honest people.

A few things. Guarantees are between buyer and seller! Bls is just an agent. If someone dopes a horse you can bring him back next day and if he's lame they will know it and be straight with you and fix it.

They sell thousands of horses each year for some of the best trainers and breeders in the business.I've bought bad horses there but it's always been my own fault for not doing homework.

I've also bought fantastic horses there.The Parker's have integrity and do a great job.

to Anonymous Salt Lake City, Utah, United States #1255551

Dear Anonymous, your thoughts are well-intentioned but WRONG!BLS offers the soundness guarantee and several other warranties to bring in buyers.

BLS, and Bill and Jan specifically, are who I dealt with and THEY were the ones that refused to honor the guarantee. Read the flyer and website! Both state that BLS offers guarantees and protections. From my personal experience with Bill and Jan Parker, they are NOT good nor honest, they have no integrity and do NOT care about horses or the buyers.

Bill lied, cheated, bullied, and threatened me. BLS shipped a horse without proper, legal documentation. Bill specifically told me that once the horse is off the property, the guarantee is VOID! There are good breeders and bad breeders who use auctions.

It is Bill and Jan that were dishonest and cheated me.BLS, Bill (deceased) and Jan Parker should be avoided by buyers.

Tradin

Sounds like you people have also been through the BLS soundness guarantee. You guys are dead on.