Update by user Aug 05, 2016

I am a professional restoration specialist use Grand Entrance Benjamin Moore Paint all the time until using there water base primer.We used our primer epoxy based with no issues.

Now we do some church doors facing West no protection, this time we used Benjamin Moore Primer with tint because it was new wood and picky customers. The tint is required in the white primer because red deep base gloss color does not cover.

8 months later customer complains about bubbles on paint?

we should not have painted doors in our shop. Humidity to high in shop. Our shop humidity 55% Hmmm to high? and it would have been better outside.

In shop 65 to 75 degrees in the winter. Hmmm? The winter sometimes is chilly in September in Indiana. Warm heated shop was my fault.

Hmmm? Oh I paint horizontal too. Bad Boy! Instructed to always paint upright.

Pop Bubbles sand and proceed to paint one coat ...

All my fault.

To late customer now is taking it in there own hands and deducting a summly amount out of our check. Benjamin Moore Reps...King of Spin They gave me 3 quarts of paint.

Thank you Benjamin Moore.Louisville Kentucky Love the paint over our epoxy primers, painted horizontally in our climate controlled heated and air conditioned shop.

Original review posted by user Aug 04, 2016

I am a professional restoration specialist and I use Grand Entrance Benjamin Moore Paint all the time. Then I used their recommended water base primer. We always have used our primer epoxy based with no issues. Now we did some church doors facing West no protection, this time we used Benjamin Moore Primer with tint because it was new wood and picky customers. The tint is required in the white primer because red deep base gloss color does not cover well because Benjamin Moore pigments are transparent in darker colors.

8 months later customer complains about bubbles on paint?

We inspect and sure enough paint has bubbles down to the primer. We were told by Benjamin Moore rep. we should not have painted doors in our shop. Humidity would be to high in a shop. Our shop humidity 55% Hmmm to high? And it would have been better outside. In shop tempeture 65 to 75 degrees in the winter. Is that wrong, I guess ..Hmmm? The winter sometimes is chilly in September in Indiana. Warm heated shop was my fault. Hmmm? Oh I paint horizontal too. Bad Boy! Rep instructed to always paint upright.

Pop Bubbles sand and proceed to paint one coat ... Overcast sky 90's late afternoon come back 24 hours new bubbles from last coat over 8 month old paint. I sanded more bubbles and new bubbles repainted over again 94 degrees scattered clouds afternoon. More bubbles under new paint again. Now regional Benjamin Moore Rep comes by a week later and says all the Spin all over again do not paint exterior Grand Entrance paint below 45 degrees and never over 90 degrees, no sunlight and wait longer than recommended dry times and no more than 3 coats, never ever do that.

(3 coats don't cover recommended light colored or white primer) and vertical painting only and no high humidity ...blah! All my fault.

No one has ever had a problem with this paint and primer so it cannot be anyones fault but mine.. and I am sure it has to be I guess? Right?

To little to late customer now is taking it in there own hands and hired another painter deducting a summly amount out of our check.

Yes it still continues to bubble under unknown new paint and it will until all the original Aurora Grand Entrance High Gloss Deep Base paint and Fresh Start Water Base Primer is completely sanded off.

Benjamin Moore Reps...King of Spin

They gave me 3 quarts of paint. Thank you Benjamin Moore.

Louisville Kentucky

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Benjamin Moore Paint
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Bad quality / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Benjamin Moore?

Comments

Nic

I am working on our main house, which is located in a country club addition of a coveted South Florida island. In our climate of extreme tropical conditions I have never had these issues occur using either Benjamin Moore Arborcoat, Aura, and Aura Grand Entrance.

to Nic Jeffersonville, Indiana, United States #1323944

Have you used their tinted primer over new wood with good results?

The rep told me I should have not add tint because it takes to long to dry with added tint.The paint distributor did not think it bad to add tint .....

18 to 24 hour dry time ....we were told after the fact maybe we should wait a week to top coat after tinted primer.

Was front door previously painted with oil based?If so;latex cannot be painted over oil based.

Also was the door in direct sunlight while drying or being painted?Reds and dark colors can get extremely hot; just like cooking an egg on high heat or low

to Anonymous #1322233

As stated cloudy sky 90 to 93 degrees ... sure it is exterior paint .... paint in the dark?

to Anonymous #1322236

I have painted several doors since in black, dark green and med blue no issues same conditions only difference only over our epoxy based primer not theirs.

to Anonymous #1322241

I hand brushed waterbase Grand Entrance over new wood doors and over Benjamin Moore tinted company recomended primer. Nothing should have happened.

Nic
to Anonymous North Palm Beach, Florida, United States #1323910

I can tell you I just painted our front door with Benjamin Moore Aura Grand Entrance in Tudor Brown Satin.This was an old carved natural solid wood door, with no primer it just took a 220 sanding and a wipe down.

The paint went on like cream, and the door was dry to touch in 4hrs. I re-coated with ease, it came out flawlessly.

I might also mention it takes two to four weeks for Grand Entrance to fully cure and in my experience the color continues to develop over time.This has never been an issue or concern of mine.