Bath and Body Works - Exploding candle from Bath & Body Works

72 of 82 Bath and Body Works reviews

Had candle burning in bathroom for 2 1/2 hours - smoke alarm went off.I went into bathroom to find candle engulfed in 6 inch flames.

Doused with water to put out but that made the candle explode and flames burst to about 5 feet high. Hot wax burst everywhere which caused 2nd degree burns on my left hand and more minor burns on my right hand, stomach, face and neck.

Bathroom cabinet damaged in two spots and wax all over floor counter and mirror and smoke stains on ceiling and walls.It was a 3 wick Lavendar Chamomile Candle in blue glass and was in one of their metal decorative sleeves.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment

More Review Details

Monetary loss:
Product or service
Lavender Chamomile
Review category
Cosmetics and Toiletries
review #446636
Had an experience with Bath and Body Works? Submit review ›
Helpful? 7 Yes 7 26 No 26
Had the same issue 12 Yes 12
72 of 82 Bath and Body Works reviews

Jul 30, 2016 #1192316 Lima, Ohio, United States

Hot glass and cold water make things explode. Your wicks were too long and the directions on the jar say trim them before every use. You're an ***. I'm sorry your burns weren't worse.

1 2 Reply

Mar 05, 2016 #1122756 New Jersey, United States

My daughter lit the 3 wick candle in the bathroom, and took a shower. We thought she put out the candle when we smelled smoke. We opened the door to find the candle engulfed in flames. I covered it with a metal pan let it cool and put it outside.
We've hand no problem with this candle before. Why would it burst into flames? I've never seen a candle do this.

3 2 Reply

Feb 27, 2016 #1118765

So most of this happened because you're an ***. Sue the scholl system.

4 2 Reply

Jul 08, 2015 #1005247

So...What's the problem?

4 5 Reply

Jul 09, 2014 #838125

You're not supposed to douse flames with water. And never leave a candle unattended

14 1 Reply

May 09, 2014 #813392 Manassas, Virginia, United States

... Fire extinguishers have chemicals to cool flames. You basically doused hot glass In cold and that is why it exploded.. That's basic safety hazard rules. You never should drastically change a glasses temperature.

12 1 Reply

Nov 15, 2013 #742789

A B&BW candle just exploded and burnt my a huge circle on my kitchen countertop- goodbye security deposit. So annoyed...

2 2 Reply
Use your noggins

Dec 13, 2013 #757975 Dallas, Texas, United States

No candle should be burnt for 2 1/2 hours nor should it be left unattended, when lit. Thats just plain common sense.

11 1 Reply

Mar 07, 2014 #792248

Candles state on the bottom do not burn more than 3-4 hours at a time. Should not leave unattended but 2 1/2 hours is Not too long.

3 3 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

You May Also Like

You were reading a complaint about Bath and Body Works.
Filing a new complaint about