ASAP Relocations - Left my things in my parking garage
The company I used was ABM Van Lines, but according to their MC and DOT numbers, they go by the name, "ASAP Relocations." Their rating with Better Business San Jose is an F, which I did not know about before my move.
My online quote was for $305.00 because I was getting a 5% discount; without the discount, it was going to be $320. I told the sales rep, "P," that I needed my dishes, small appliances (i.e., toaster, griddle, etc), and pots and pans packed because I did not have the necessary packing supplies. I listed my furniture for "P" and I asked "P" repeatedly if it was extra to pack my dishes, and she said it was not because the movers go by amount of time. She also told me that shrink wrap, bubble wrap, moving pads, and packing tape were included in the price.
She also told me that Double Drive Time would not apply because my move was only 3.69 miles in total.
I asked "P" for an "overestimate" - if the move would realistically cost more than $305; she said it shouldn't. Regardless, I was prepared to pay around $500.00 for any additional charges.
On the day of the move, the movers showed up on time. After going through the contract and finding out that the mover "required" the use of additional boxes (which ended up costing over $100.00), he wanted me to set my Not to Exceed Limit as $800.00. He also wanted to charge me Double Drive Time. I told him that the move really should not take 7 hours, as he estimated, and that his office told me Double Drive Time would not apply for my move. In a false attempt to negotiate with me, he said, "I won't charge you for tape." I replied, "You're already not charging me for tape because it's included in my contract."
We finally decided on a Not to Exceed of $600.00, and they started moving my things at 9am.
After approximately 5 hours of packing, the foreman told me that they were going to run out of time. He said if this happened, they would put all my things in storage. I felt trapped and hesitantly asked to set my Not to Exceed Limit at $800.00, which is what he originally wanted.
After 6 hours, my 1 bedroom apartment was finally packed up and ready to go to my new apartment.
After arriving at my new apartment, the mover asked for the $800.00 up front. I wanted to think about it, and he brushed me off, saying he didn't mean to be cruel but said they were on a time limit and didn't have time to discuss it. I asked if I could pay it on credit card because I didn't have enough cash. He said no. I paid $400 in cash and $400 on my credit card, and I asked him to indicate on the contract that none of the cash was to be his tip. He told me they don't indicate it on their contract.
After 2 hours of moving my boxes and several small furniture items into my new apartment, the mover told me they were going to run out of time again, and they needed me to sign a new contract for a Not to Exceed Limit of $1000.00. I spoke to the dispatcher, who told me that his men would not work for free, and that I had to sign the new contract. I said no. The movers then left my belongings in the parking garage of my new building. I have photos of this.
I asked the mover for the first contract I signed for $600.00, and he said no. I said that my signature is on it, and I am entitled to a copy. He still refused. I asked him for the names of the people I had spoken to on the phone, but he claimed that he couldn't remember their names.
I paid them $766.64 in total because i got a small "refund" from my $800.00.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Moving And Storage
- Review category
- Transportation and Storage
You May Also Like
- "My father orders inventory from a company located in California. I only heard about this incident in great detail today when Southeastern Freight Lines arrived to deliver our restaurant inventory...."
- "Just moved and I hired Green Planet Movers.Moving day 2 men show up to do the job like quoted.They where pretty rough on the boxes sliding them down the steps.Well..."
- "April 27, Friday, Mailed 3 Passports (mine and my toddlers) and letters going to the Canadian Embassy in Makati April 28, Saturday, 1st attempt : Office Closed : returned to the..."
- "My son ordered a hoodie without permission / I attempted to cancel immediately / Web site will not allow you to cancel order, must call support line / Support line..."
- "All three half-time announcers on CBS just pronounced our State name, and that of the University of Nevada, incorrectly! Why do the live game announcers correctly pronounce the University of..."
- "Purchased these green beans a day ago. I don't know what is in it but it is nasty. I would like to be contacted about this. I don't know if..."
- "I wrote this review back on Saturday, December 12th, 2015 and a lot of what I am going to say is a repeat, but there will be some updates as..."
- "Nine9 was once One Source Talent. Same company..... Same employees.... Same SCAM. :-( I went to one of their cattle calls a couple years ago. Showed up, watched some movie with..."
- "Tainted Pageant I would like to share with all of you my story. You can say I am a beauty pageant aficionado. I have been to countless beauty contest, from small..."