I was called by American Power and Gas in April of 2016.They pitched a rate that was about 1/2 cent per kwh lower than my current supplier and also that it would remain lower than my current supplier.

When I reviewed my May bill I noticed the rate they pitched. In November I noticed a much higher rate than what they promised and in December I noticed it was over 5 cents per kwh higher than the power company.

I called AP&G figuring there must be some kind of mistake.I learned quickly their system is a scam; they get you to sign up and then slowly raise the rate hoping the increases are not noticed.

Review about: American Power And Gas Residential Electricity Supply.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Problems with payment / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with American Power and Gas?

Submit review

Comments

h.kitchener

These alternative power providers scam you by offering a lower rate than that of the main utility companies in your state and usually keep it at the quoted rate for a certain length of time.Look at your contract with them to see how long they guaranteed that lower rate.

The kicker is when that length of time ends. They then begin to charge you more---usually much more than your old utility company. It's easy to switch back. Just contact your old company, tell them what happened and have them switch you back.

They see this scam all the time.Bottom line: it's always best to stick to the major utility provider(s) in your state, eg., Consumers Energy, etc.

Coon Rapids, Minnesota, United States #1265030

It's not great, but it's not a scam unless they told you that this would always be your rate. It's common practice unfortunately. Anytime you switch companies you should always get it in a contract that the new price is good for a certain period of time.