New Milford, New Jersey

The project was to install a Generac standby generator. Everything started out great, the owner came out and checked out my house for the installation. He was very nice and seemed to really know what he was talking about. He was also extremely helpful in guiding me on how to fill out the forms required for the local gas utility. Unfortunately, that's were the good news ends. After being told that this was an "easy, straight-forward job" my experience was not all easy. The installation process dragged out for exactly 6 months, and could only be described as nothing short of a nightmare of an ordeal. After signing the contract, 5 weeks went by before I head anything at all, and that was only after I called them. Finally a date was set and the guys show up to install the mounting pad with no construction permit. Coincidentally a town official was on site inspecting work on another project and was nice enough to give them and me a warning and not push the issue.

Day-2 they show up to work on the electrical, again no permit. On day 3 as the installation was wrapping up, I am pulled outside to be told that they had miscalculated the length of the gas pipes, therefore it will cost me an additional $500.00. BUT WAIT! I am told that if I leave a really nice review on the Generac website, they will waive the extra $500.00. After the install, the system was tested and kept failing. It turns out that they had installed a single coil transfer switch which had been recalled by the Generac over a year ago. So that had to be replaced and it was, after another 3 weeks of waiting for the part.. The system was tested and seemed to work, but then 36 hours later it went into fail mode. Throughout this entire miserable ordeal, dozens of emails went back and forth, hostile phone calls, and at one point the owner told me I was one of the nastiest, and unreasonable people he had ever encountered. So it is no wonder, why they chose not to come out again and figure out why the system had failed. I ultimately hired another company to come out and they found the firmware to be out of date and most shockingly, the reason the unit kept shutting down was that a large blue plastic cap was lodged in the fuel intake line.

There are no words to express the amount of stress these people put me through, not to mention the time and now the extra expense. Please don't make the same mistake I made... stay far away.

Review about: Generac Standby Generator.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Albright Llc?

Submit review

Comments

RichardW

My name is Richard Whalen and I am the owner of Albright Electric, a small family-owned business.I would like to start by saying that I do apologize on behalf of the company for any discomfort experienced by the homeowner as this was not our intention.

One thing should be made clear: we have, in fact, reimbursed the customer for the service call and repair mentioned in the review even though we were not given the chance to confirm the repair made by the other company.

I do not believe another contractor would have reimbursed for this without having a chance to examine it themselves.

Please note: The customer did affirm to our office manager that upon reimbursement he would update the reviews informing the public that we had "done the right thing." However, the reimbursement was received 2 months ago and no reviews have been updated as of yet. We gave ample time for the homeowner to clarify and update his response before writing this as we did not want to respond in this manner. I believe in taking the high road in these types of situations, but in this case the record should be set straight.

Here are some corrections and an address of the issues the customer mentioned:

1. This was not a 6 month ordeal, it was a 3 day installation.

Customer was given a free in-home estimate in mid-May and signed a revised contract at the end of May with confirmation of going forward with financing. From this time, we must wait for approval...

We were not able to complete work sooner as another home project was taking place and the other plumber requested no one else work on the gas line while he was there.

2. After contract signing, 5 weeks did not pass without communication as we have emails to the customer documenting this. It takes up to 6 weeks to receive confirmation from both PSEG and the Town to move forward and this necessary work was being done during this period. 3.

Homeowner is implying that work was done without permit, however, this is untrue as the permit was filed, issued, and awaiting pickup at the building department. 4. On the last day of the install, our foreman called me and said there was an additional run in what amounted to a cost of about $500. Being that it was not on the proposal, I agreed that I would not charge a change order but instead would give the extra run free of charge to the homeowner.

The foreman asked if he should mention this to the customer and I said yes and if he asked if there is something he can do, that a review would be nice. I apologize if this was misunderstood or miscommunicated, however it was not my intention. 5. The coil mentioned comes built into the transfer switch and according to Generac’s Service protocol, they can only be changed after the transfer switch is installed and activated.

This is exactly what we did. Same goes for the firmware update mentioned; Generac routinely comes out with updates that are applied at maintenance visits and are not emergent. 6. After hearing the homeowner yelling at my office staff over the phone and observing her reaction, I asked to take the call.

I attempted to resolve the situation over the phone in a civilized manner. I do not allow that sort of treatment to my employees and yes, although we had a contract, it did not warrant and allow for that type of treatment. We also reimbursed homeowner in the time frame we said we would. With this explanation of what actually occurred compared to his very descriptive and hurtful review, you can decide for yourself as there are always two sides to a story.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us. 7. We did not "choose not to come out". Instead, our office had been in touch with the homeowner back and forth and in the meantime it appears that he called another service company to come out.

Incidentally enough and after review of the pictures he sent to us about the cap being lodged in the line, we are not sure how this could have happened. For one thing, the generator should not have started or ran at all if this were the case.

Secondly, this very well could have been a part defect on the manufacturer's part and we should have been offered the benefit of the doubt to inspect it for ourselves rather than be automatically blamed and the subject of unnecessary negative reviews.Once again, we are sorry for any discomfort or "stress" homeowner felt but this should not be the basis for writing a faulty review.