Unfair and Abusive Business practices by AirBnB on this Host
Update by user Mar 29, 2012
Obviously it was to good to be true.
Original review posted by user Mar 29, 2012
This is a copy and paste below this paragraph.
As a Host who was busy trying to learn a complicated business quickly. "Hospitality" and merge it with my personal aspiration's AirBnB platform looked to good to be true. I observed it from 2008. Watched two Host's in my area for a few years. It seemed ok. Jumped into it. I have a lot of "space". Had good luck for several months. Then a series of guests from ***. Then first hand experiences of "Host support" and the chaotic 24/7 CSR support. Below says it all. I actually achieved in a few months impressive figures as a low end cost effective host. Actually the total bookings cancelled was over 9,600. by AirBnB. Pending payments were 954.00 dollars before they blocked me out of my account. I have several guests still in my home all bewildered by the action's of AirBnB. Luckily after I forced the issue on a negative review that was Slander.
I backed up everything in my account. I can reconstruct from my paypal account what I need to know to make sure I recieved the money for the current guests. 1 past guest owes $24.00 because of a CSR error. I left out the over 30 positive reviews. Simply G John Cohen NYC Host Quora to see them.
Airbnb: Has anyone had the experience of your Host listings being turned off by AirBnB due to bringing to their attention problems with their platform and procedures?
John Cohen, NYC Host
AirBnB recently hid all my listings. At the same time they cancelled over 19 bookings adding up to over $7000 dollars most likely more. Here is a copy of the email sent to those inconvenienced persons.
We were just informed by John Cohen that your accommodation starting on xxx, April xx, 2012 (reservation xxxxxxx) is no longer available. You should know that hosts are penalized for canceling reservations and removed from our site if they do so frequently.
I am no longer able to access my account to see my future payouts -- approximately $2000 dollars -- or when I will recieve $954.
At the suggestion of an experienced attorney I have backed all information that was in my account including changes that were occurring after AirBnB shut off my listings.
I cannot prove what the customer service supervisor said over the phone but I will quote "We have discussed it among ourselves", "There are simply too many customer service requests from your account", "You can apply in two months to be re-instated."
After careful review of the backups it appears to be 21 bookings not 17. As of this date several guests are living in my home. Booked through airBnB. I have no idea if I will be paid for their stay. Here is a short list of my Complaints that resulted in AirBnb hiding my listings.
1) Peer review process as implemented is being used by a few guests as a threat of a "Bad review" if I do not bend to demands for services not offered. Or if I attempt to enforce the House rules such as under age drinking or cleanig up after themselves.( Threse guests have no reviews of their own.)
2) Security Hole. Apparently airBnB does not maintain any information of the Guest of the guest.
3) CSR who answer the phones are given extraordinary power to rush to a judgement without giving the Host the benefit of the doubt.
4) Reservvation panel is a Mess if you are a busy Host. Dificult to make heads or tales from this. Even the CSR.
5) Bad reviews which are not opinion but statements of Fact. Say about the cleanliness of a Host. "Place smells like Garbage" Bathroom's are dirty" by a guest who frequently broke house rules.
6) A clear and convincing connection between Guests who them selves have no reviews making a complaint or bad review on a Host who has asked them courteously to obey House rules.
7) Repeatedly blocking out up to 10 days or more on a room until an investigation is complete. Finding the Host acted properly
8) Many of my customer service calls were about parts of the WebSite not working or learning how to nagivate it properly. I have bad eye sight and need new glasses. EG recently a part of the listings page failed to show up where
prominently it states Host has PETS. Two guests allergic to Cats appeared.
. Though my listing clearly states CATS. I had to have my House keeper Vacume 2,000 square feet. So that the guests could finish their bookings. My cats were trapped in my bedroom for two weeks.
9) Security deposit is not a security deposit. Never in my Life have I been
compelled to negotiate with a petty thief
Their is a lot more. 24/7 is not 24/7 due to the lack of enouph Human Infrastructure to handle the Volume of calls. Resulting in knee *** reaction's
and bad decision making.
I cannot help get the feeling that AirBnb in my opinion would like low end Hosts to quietly fade and disappear in to the night.
This one will not.
The average star rating of my spare bed rooms was 4.5 Stars.
Skirting around the Franchise laws of the State of New York and the Federal Franchise Laws.
Skirting around the case law in New York State concerning Defamation and Slander.
And who knows what else. (SPIONS)
I am a fundamentaly good New Yorker. I am confident that my fellow New Yorkers will hear my cry for HELP.
I have been crippled financially by AirBnB's actions. Humiliated. Down but not out. I have nothing to loose. I am old sickly.
In my youth in basic training at the USMC. You learn the history of this Institution.
Lt. General Chesty Puller.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
Below this you can read my reviews. It was AirBnB who cancelled the bookings
and Defamed and Slandered this host. I removed most of the cancelations as the web page would have been to long.
Review about: Connecting Hosts With Guests.
Review #308433 is a subjective opinion of a user.