Airbnb - Review about Room Booking from Montebello, California

437 of 579 Airbnb reviews

Am I the only person who received this 28% tax withholding fee for not filling out a w9 form that wasn't in the check list to be filled out in the first place?

March 2015 I did my first hosting as a airbnb representative in Los Angeles.

I went out of my way to provide a great room for my guest whom is great and I'm happy with. However Airbnb decided to charge me $225 for not filing out a form that I had no idea existed in the first place!!!! When I called their customer service department, they explained that the fee is an "irs" tax withholding and they could not refund the $225 taking from me when I rented the room. I said to the customer service rep, how could this be legal when you never informed to complete this form?

They have a check list of things to complete that dies not include this form which has now cost me a third of what I'm renting the room for!!!!!!! His response was that he understood my grievance and would try to remedy a notification about the form but could do nothing to refund me. I'm so pissed and I feel completely cheated. See the attached receipt...

Has anyone else encountered this fee? Or am I the only one who has been robbed by airbnb with no consequence. The rep even suggested I ask my guest for more money by offering breakfast. Gtfoh!!!

I would have been much better off using Craigslist to get a renter.

Which I have had great experiences with.This is highway robbery and I will NEVER recommend or use this service again once my guest departs!!!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Room Booking
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #604707

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Airbnb? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
437 of 579 Airbnb reviews

Jul 13, 2015 #1006767

Hi there, I was a host, too. Airbnb did ask me to fill in the tax form. It's hanging on the 'Dashboard' page until we take action. I never did as my tax situation is complex, so I opt to take out my listing instead.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.