AFLAC DENTAL INSURANCE IS A SCAM

93 of 131 Aflac reviews

An AFLAC rep came to my work place to sell us insurance. I haven't been to a Dentist in 8 years and was interested in Dental Insurance. I specifically asked the Rep if I could start seeing the Dentist right away. His answer was "Yes". I asked if I was unhappy with the services could I cancel at anytime. Again the Reps answer was Yes. He embellished the insurance and said it covered two Dental Cleanings and stated the first visit to your Dentist you are mailed $50 for a Wellness benefit. Basically these Reps are scammers and liars!!!!! My Dental cleaning and X-rays cost me $240...AFLAC only paid $75. I found out that I need a crown and have to pay into AFLAC for 2 years before I can even have the Dental work done. Let's do the math. That is $940. I already paid $150 for my cleaning and xrays. The crown will cost $1422 and AFLAC only pays $375. So basically...I would have to pay $2156 for premiums, 1 cleaning in 2 years and my crown. They alsio made me wait months to cancel since I signed up through my work. I had to wait until open enrollment again. Again...another fact left out!

HOW ON EARTH IS THAT CONSIDERED INSURANCE!!!! SCAM...SCAM....SCAM! Look into a Discount with your Dentist. I learned they will give you 25% of services with a smaller monthly fee and there is no waiting period.

DON'T BE ANOTHER VICTIM TO AFLAC!!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 80 Yes 80 238 No 238
Had the same issue 81 Yes 81
93 of 131 Aflac reviews

Dec 13, 2016 #1255096 Lomita, California, United States

If there are companies that offer dental insurance with no waiting period, I would think the premiums are very low as well as the pay out, insurance companies are businesses in the business to helping people but not if cost a them money, being an aflac agent myself I sed the all the time.
People please, please, please re ad your policies and ask questions, just cause he is a nice guy

Me

Dec 13, 2016 #1255091 Lomita, California, United States

Hmmm, I'm a aflac agent and if your agent said yes to that question I believe he violated the code of ethics within the aflac organization and I would report that action to the Atlanta office to have it looked into, and just so you now the waiting periods are pur into place to guard against fraudulent claims, folks all the time want to but insurance, get stuff done then cancel kinda like planning a car accident.
For me I tell my clients straight up front that there are e
Waiting periods before they sign and by the way they are clearly stated on the contract.
I'm very sorry your experience dud not go well but cause you wanted to get dental work done with in intention to cancel then in the insurance world that would be called "concealment or fauld" which no insurance company would pay and btw there are fine associated to that as well.
If you've waited 8 years to see dentist and need a bail out well that exactly why the waiting periods are in place, after the 2 years you talk about that is it, once the waiting periods are dine there done and the policies proceders go into to full effort

3 0 Reply

Oct 22, 2016 #1230497 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I just had pretty much the same experience. Had not been to a dentist in about 5 years. My wife gets the Aflac dental plan through work. I go to a dentist, pay well over $300 for evaluation, x-rays, bitewings and prophy. Aflac only paid $95. Why! Because the evaluation and the prophy were done on the same appointment! WOW! I am certain the dentist didn't know, and I didn't either because that was never mentioned during the sales pitch. And of course, my wife has to continue to pay for the worthless dental insurance until open enrollment when she is finally allowed to cancel.

Aug 01, 2016 #1193027 Portland, Oregon, United States

Sounds like you didn't read your policy. Become a better consumer and read instructions and understand what is paid for and the amount you receive. You blame the rep but in reality it was you showing your *** consumer side. You probably also buy bottled water and $5 coffees.

Mar 07, 2016 #1123537

wait periods are pretty much standard for all Dental Insurance. Crowns are always a 12 month wait period no matter what insurance company you sign up for.

Tonya

Aug 23, 2016 #1202543 Oberlin, Ohio, United States

This isn't true. I've been researching dental insurance and found several that have no waiting period. You just have to do your homework.

1 0 Reply

Jan 13, 2016 #1094225

I'm a dentist .
Aflac is great if you can find the dentist who work with them. But even if you had ppo dental insurance you had to pay 50% for majer work. So out of pocket for 1 crown is $700,
No of the dental insurances I see are great they all have some trick in them. Need to understand them. They should be called coupons. Lol. But in my office Aflac works great for most people Not everybody. Hope this was helpful

3 1 Reply

Feb 14 #1286653 Omaha, Nebraska, United States

If you're truly a dentist with that poor grammar and spelling, you need to either spend a little time proofreading or go back to school.

Seasoned dentist

Oct 04, 2015 #1042964 Topeka, Kansas, United States

Individual dental policies are never worth the premiums.
How on earth do you think a company could pay out as much or more in benefits than it takes in premiums. Usually insurance company overhead eats up at least 30% of premiums paid!
No decent dentist will do dentistry for AFLAC's low fees, despite what Denise claims below.
Once again: individual dental policies are a VALUE SUBTRACTING, rather than a VALUE ADDING, business. You will ALWAYS receive far less in benefits than you pay in premiums.

3 0 Reply

Jul 30, 2015 #1013957

I have had Aflac dental for years and they have been great. If you read the total benefits before you go, you won't have issues.

1 1 Reply
Agent

Jul 15, 2015 #1007994 Oxnard, California, United States

You need to change your dentist!
AFLAc pays the same $50 according to their schedule no matter
how much YOUR dentist charges. If you go to an overpriced dentist then of course you will be responsible for paying the difference. If you get a groupon or go to a dentist and they charge $40, you get to keep the extra $10. All this is stated in the policy.

Christina

Feb 12, 2015 #945105 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

I had Aflac dental insurance for over a year and in my opinion one of the best dental insurances out there. I signed up through my work because I knew it was probably a good idea to at least have it. I grind my teeth in my sleep, not nearly as bad as I used to but rarely now and had broken a tooth. I didn't know I had broken a tooth, I had severe tooth pain but waited to go to the dentist because I had 2 weeks to go before my insurance would be in effect. Tooth pain went away before I went to the dentist so, thinking it was nothing I never went. Almost a year later I started having severe tooth pain again. I went to the dentist and they did full mouth x-rays and told me I had a broken tooth and the root was abscessed. I was informed that if I just waited another 2 weeks for my insurance to be active for a full year, that Aflac would cover my root canal 100%, so I waited. I had a $2000 annual limit, so the root canal which was $1000, plus x-rays, plush several fillings I needed was all covered, I didn't pay a single penny. I hate going to the dentist and the dentist I went to was very nice and very informative and made the whole experience of getting a root canal for the first time pleasurable.

2 4 Reply
Denise

Dec 11, 2014 #914403 Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States

I've had Aflac dental for about 5 years now. I've never had a problem at all. They best thing for you to do is to find a dentist who is willing to accept their rates. FYI, the rates they pay are very competitive with most dental insurance companies.
My dentist agreed to accept their rates. He bills my claims directly to them and Aflac pays him directly. I've had a few root canals and crowns done as well as some fillings. I go for cleanings every six months. I've havent paid a dime out of pocket in 4 years for dental work.

4 3 Reply
Lisa

Feb 08, 2015 #942689 Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Text me your Dentist office if it's in Arizona. I need to find a Dentist 602-828-9167 thanks in advance if u respond

0 2 Reply
getoutoftownAFLAC

Jul 10, 2014 #838869

That is really disconcerting to hear AFLAC would be involved in such deception.. I am currently researching a dental insurance plan, and steering clear of AFLAC! I hope everyone leaves reviews about bad service, so that eventually the ROGUE offenders will be driven out of business, since they won't be gettin' any!!!!!!!

0 5 Reply
Marina

May 09, 2014 #813404 Lake Worth, Florida, United States

Aflac is not dental insurance - it is supplemental. If the dentist offers you 25% off for cash paying client, Aflac still pays it's portion for that procedure.
For example...I have dental insurance. For a crown, I pay out of pocket $500. Aflac will pay $375. I then have payed only $125 out of pocket. It is "supplemental" it is not regular dental insurance. It pays "in addition" to whatever benefits you might get, whether your own dental plan, or a discount from the dentist.
Cheers!

18 0 Reply
RIS

Apr 04, 2014 #802062

Aflac is an amazing 70 yr old company with amazing products. Unfortunately, looks like you had a bad agent who didn't explain to you correctly or explain the waiting periods.
The reason behind the waiting periods is so that you dont buy the policy, get your thousands of dollars worth of work done and then cancel. You also must have had a lower level plan that didnt pay as much for each service, thus making it more affordable to you. They have a lot of levels to choose from so if you know that crowns etc are in your future, you choose a higher level. Any good agent would have helped you navigate what was right for you.
If you have had any other dental policy before you would know that Aflac is suppior as it pays a flat dollar amount towards the services vs other companies paying a percentage (like 50%), thus ALWAYS leaving you with a balance. Sometimes, depending on who you go to for a dentist, Aflac will pay almost all of the bill.

4 1 Reply
majortom1981

Mar 05, 2014 #791559 Canyon Lake, Texas, United States

I agree about Aflac dental is a scam .the fine print states the dentist has to TYPE UP the form and send it. You as the patient cant. my dentist office refuse to fill out the form since they are a small 1 dentist 1 receptionist office and do not have the time .
They make it so it is next to impossible to even send in a claim. the money is better off being used on an actual dental plan.

0 3 Reply

1-20 of 36 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.