New Reviewer

The chlorine water burned my sons skin severly!

We went to CoCo Key indoor water park for the day. While we were there, there were a lot of people there for a little while as it was spring break. After being there a very little while, all 3 of my sons, and my friends daughter started coughing constantly. As I was paying attention to the environment around me, most all of the children were all coughing as well. There were a few children that were having asthma attacks in the halls of the hotel outside of the indoor waterpark. After taking care of my kids, I noticed as I went to the bathroom, I had a blister on my nose. My face, legs, arms, back, stomache and shoulders all had fire hot and red rashes developing on my skin. It began to burn!!!!! My son also had the same. I overheard a parent complaining to the general manager, which was making a very bold comment about checking the chlorine levels because by the actions of the childrens coughing, blood shot red eyes and he himself having a hard time breathing. It didnt take long for management to react after the parent finally stated they were going to call the department of Health and the CDC, to have the place shut down. Management closed the one pool we were swimming in, After a few tests, the chlorine levels were so high, they had no other choice to drain the pool. Alright, I do know a little about the requirements of testing pools in places like that, I am pretty sure it is to be tested every hour, and it should have been flagged there was a concern, but like most corporations, they dont care because they were making money. I also know that you can put other conteractive chemicals in the pools to make sure the ph levels come down. SO it REALLY SCARES me that they had to drain the pool. What was really going on? NO evidence now! IF it was that bad, they should have cleared the place due to the health hazard and the dangerous fumes that were severly affecting everyone in the park. It has been a few days and the rashes are still fire red, hot to the touch and hurt Horribly. My poor sons rashes seem to be getting worse, and the only thing we can do is put some conteractive cream on it and wait. His cough is so tight, and I am still wondering what was exactly in the water. My husband spoke to the general manager and his solution was to give us free passes for the future. Seriously, Like I want to come back, due to their negligence my son and a my skin is burnt from a chemical burn. We have been to a few other indoor water parks in the past and I never had an issue. Please save yourself and your family, do not go to COCO Key in Rockford Illinois. This is not a minor oversight on their part, the is a major concern!
View full review

One more thing. Contact the and contact them for specifics of the injury and relax stay AWAY FROM CHLORINE!!

IN FACT THROW ALL nasty chemicals out of your house. Good luck.


Yes, we have long believed that all public waterways should be handled by Certified Pool Operators. The laws are starting to change.

It is sad that a little kid literally felt the effects of an similar to a them weapon. I would not allow my children to go through this. Hang in there, try taking your child to a naturopathic doctor. But male sure they are!

good. They can help clear out that toxin. I now live everyday in exhaustion and suffer from arthritis all from my improper handled and association with these chemicals. Even your tap water is treated with Chlorine.

I was fortumate enough to have found clfree system. I was not taught properly as a young man new in a company and now I'm sorry.

I always make sure now that I have my own pool service company, I require all my guys to take proper chemical handling and get a certification. Check out Clere now


I contacted the Health Department. They investigated the claim, but there was no follow up of course.

The state of Illinois is changing their laws. The Manager will not contact me back. I did speak with a lawyer already.

Its just sad that this infraction is so large, it doesnt change the business. I think we need harsher punishments for people being lazy about their jobs that actually hurt others.


Call environmental health and ask for a ccopy of past inspections then call a bulldog lwyr. Then hook me up 5% for the good advice. You should have a statute of 2 years, but I Don't know state law there.

View more comments (3)
#309141 Review #309141 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Chicago, Illinois

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

  • Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article