Jewelry Store Discrimination - Profiling

My mother enjoys browsing new jewelry. She's done well for herself and her outward appearance shows her financial success. I've been with her a few times in "Cloverleaf Jewelry," White River Junction, Vermont. The store owner always graciously comes over and welcomes us (her) into the shop. "Good afternoon! How may I help you today?!" Her eyes light up at the thought of a big sale. My mom purchases BIG stuff - the kind of jewelry that costs as much as a new car. She calls it an "investment." Interestingly enough, when I shop there myself, I'm less than respected. The owner doesn't recognize me as "Mrs. so & so's" son. The most recent visit was a test after I shared a less than pleasant Cloverleaf experience with my mother. I intentionally went dressed in everyday civilian clothes, and sure enough - I couldn't get the time of day. The woman approached me as if I were there to shoplift. What she didn't realize is that her arrogant approach was captured on a hidden camera to prove to my parents what was happening there. Mom's always felt respected as a person in their shop until she saw the way this woman spoke to me. Never again will she spend another cent in Cloverleaf Jewelry. She's shared the video with friends as well, who also no longer shop this store. Discriminatory profiling happens everywhere. Ask a car dealer. Ask a jeweler. They know what they do everyday. If you look average, you get treated as such - if you look wealthy, you get the red carpet everytime. Wealthy people are hidden amongst everyday citizens. Sometimes a "common-man" isn't as he appears. Shame on you, Clover Leaf Jewelers, WRJ, VT. Mom wanted to see for herself, so she went the next week to have an expensive ring appraised. Of course the owner welcomes her back and appraises her diamond ring on the spot. She sent me by myself the following week, with the identical ring. What happened next? You guessed it... with camera's rolling the woman explained she did not have time for that sort of thing, but if I paid her $100 I could come back in a week. Fake people. They won't be fake-smiling at us anymore, that's all I know.

I have shopped at Cloverleaf several times throughout the years and have always been treated with the utmost respect regardless of what I was wearing. I've also noticed their customer service with others.

It's really sad when people bash businesses online. My question is before bashing them did you contact the owners and discuss how unhappy you were with there service? Did you give them the chance to make it right?

If you were that unhappy you should have. I will continue to shop at Cloverleaf until the day they close!

Hate to break it to you but it is true, Cloverleaf has done the same thing to me. the female owner was rude and condescending.

Also, she was extremely disiterested in keeping me as a customer. Appalled and disgusted is right...

#195346

I have shopped there for many years as well but I would never accuse someone of lying when I wasn't there. For the people that have not had poor experiences great we are happy for you because no one should be made to feel bad about their social status.

However for the ones that were treated poorly I am glad that you posted it no one deserves that and as a business owner they should know better. Maybe this is a wakeup call for many.

This is a fake story, but if you insist it is real then show others the video. I have gone there for over 20 years, and from the top down they are all polite.

They helped me with gifts when I had little money, and support me now with something in my pocket.

Don't trash them to benefit yourself, Cloverleaf is above you!

Unless you know what you're talking about, you shouldn't refer to my experience as obnoxiously false. Had I not been mistreated by that "woman" I would not have posted such a comment.

I rarely post comments online or complain about service. If I was that upset, I had a reason to be upset.

This comment was probably left by the owner herself.

I am shocked to read this complaint. To me, it is completely false.

I shop in Cloverleaf quite often and have never had a bad experience. I am not a rich or wealthy person, and I never pretend to be, but they have always given me the time and customer service that I need. In fact, I find that they are even willing to go above and beyond what most other stores would do.

If I want or need something that they don't have, I can always be sure that they will take the time to get it for me. I have been a regular customer for about 12 years and I am sick to think that someone would post such an obnoxiously false claim.

View more comments (5)
ID
Weston, Massachusetts

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article