CLC referral

I got a referral from CLC for estate and trust help. They sent me to an attorney that didn't do that kind of work. I was put in a rent an office conference room by myself for 15 of my free 30 minutes then given 15 minutes of advice that was "not legal advice but just general advice" by a young lawyer 20 years my junior who was offering his wisdom. CLC offers a 25% discount on work through my employer EAP. I suggest you get a referral from someone you know. CLC seems to be a referral service for starving lawyers who are starving for a reason.

I had a similar problem. The lawyer that they referred was horrible. Actually said some profanities and hung up after 40 seconds.

I do not work for CLC. I am a legal secretary in a law firm that is enrolled in the CLC referral program.

Our lawyers here are reputable, with at least 25 years experience each (one has over 50 years), and excellent reputations in the community and perfectly clean records with the State Bar.

CLC refers people for a 30 minute free consultation with an attorney. In the 30 minutes, you get to talk to the lawyer about your issue, and they advise whether they can help you, give you an estimate of cost, maybe a little advice, etc. They are not obligated to solve your problem for you for free in that 30 minutes, nor is that a realistic expectation.

If you decide after your free consultation that you like the lawyer and want the lawyer to pursue your legal matter (and assuming the lawyer is willing to take your case), you can enter into a Professional Services Agreement with them and they will then work for you. Under the CLC referral program, you receive a 25 percent discount on their regular hourly rate.

As a side note, we see a lot of folks who expect their problems to be solved for free in 30 minutes, and many of them expect us to continue for free to help them with their legal problems with free follow-up calls and visits.

If we had to rely on clients from CLC referrals to make a living, we would be out of business in a month. For us, the CLC is more of a marketing resource; people who come see us may refer their friends and family.

@PissedConsumer957046

I don't think anyone was expecting their issue to be resolved in 30 minutes in these comments, or else they wouldn't have been seeking legal help. Your comment is a little unprofessional hun.

This "service" is a directory of law firms. Why would anyone think a law firm would give a 25% discount.

View more comments (3)
Spartanburg, South Carolina

CLC Legal Referral Svc Not Trustworthy for Reliable Referral

CLC Legal Referral Service checks out to be sure their attorneys are with the State Bar but that's all. When Lawyers apply to CLC they fill out a questionnaire stating which types of cases they are willing to accept. When I was very specific in asking for a Special Education Attorney. They promised me they referred me to a special ed lawyer and I gave him $2,000.00. But when he came to an IEP meeting he didn't know what he was doing. It turned out that Mr. *** is a Real Estate attorney. Real estate has been slow so he's taking on cases that he is not prepared to take. CLC does not verify ANY of the information the lawyers give them except that they are in good standing with the bar. The attorney can tell them anything and CLC doesn't check it out. Don't use CLC. Their referrals are not reliable. Go straight to the Bar website. I lost $2,000.00 to a greedy, unscrupulous attorney. Don't let this happen to you.

CLC has three (3) requirements to be a part of their "directory"...

1) Be an attorney for at least 5yrs 2) Have 500k in malpractice insurance and 3) Not have any "public discipline" on record.

Granada Hills, California

CLC Legal Referral Service Bad Referrals

I called CLC a legal referral service for a referral to a special education attorney. I trusted they referred me to a genuine special education attorney. I retained him for $2,000.00. Aftera couple conversations some red flags went up. He told me not to worry that if we didn;'t get the accomodations my son needed "We'll go to the city". I told him, you don't go to the city you go to the state (referring to the Ca State Dept of Education). He responded "Why would the state care? I was *** in not firing him right away. I needed help with the IEP and allowed him to attend. My son lost every single accomodation he ahd. The attorney failed to recognize at least two Procedural Safeguards had been violated by the school district. I went home and Googled the attorney and his name came up as "General Law". CLC refuses to assist. CLC it turns out has an application for the attorneys. The attorneys check what cases they will take. CLC checks out their standing with the Bar but that's all. This WAS NOT A SPECIAL ED ATTORNEY. I was a fool, but CLC is NOT a RELIABLE source for finding an attorney. Don't bother calling CLC just go to the State Bar web site and find an attorney on your own.
Clarksburg, West Virginia

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article