Childrens Hospital - Surgery Medical Expenses Review from Exton, Pennsylvania

Though CHOP enjoys a tremendous and well deserved reputation as to the quality of its delivered healthcare, its billing charges and practices are outrageous and patients need to pay attention! I recently took my daughter to CHOP KOP to look at a small fatty tissue cyst on the top of her her foot, which though not dangerous was annoying, could grow and was subsequently determined should be removed. The actual procedure performed in their Exton office lasted appx 10-15 minutes according to our post operation conversation with the surgeon, where the tissue was scooped out and then closed with surgical glue. This does not count of course the wait time and recovery time from the anesthesia. Imagine my surprise, no shock, in receiving 2 bills with total charges of $18,936 !! Of course during my initial consultation, there was no mention of the cost associated with what I thought was a simple procedure and to my bad, I did not ask! Had I known what CHOP's costs would be, I would have shopped this simple procedure to other outpatient groups! Of this bill, I have been asked to pay $1,167 which does not reflect 2 other bills received for another $700 in out of pocket costs (on top of the HMO payments) for this minor procedure and an appx $3-4k retail price, that looks more like major surgery charges! The HMO paid out well over $7,000 for the procedure which seems more than reasonable, but what do I know? I subsequently asked for an itemized bill to see exactly what the heck could retail out at almost $18,000, plus another bill for charges of $1,085 of which I will have to pay $567 for "Surgery Services"! CHOP Bills: OR Room Time - $6,319 OR Supplies - 269 Post Anesthesia Care - $2,605 Core Lab - $200 Pathology Lab - $4,677 Anesthesia Lab - $3,374 Pharmacy Services - $407 Total Charges - $17,851 Adjustment - $9,818 HMO Payments - $6,865 My Bill - $1,167 PLUS: Surgery Services(??) - $1,085 HMO Payments - $517 My Bill - $567 Total Charges:$18,936 Total payment for 15 minute procedure of removal small cyst removal from foot - $9,166 + other bills yet TBD? The point of my review is express my outrage at the terrible costs associated with even the most minor of procedures and the scam perpetuated on patients, insurance providers etc.! Though I understand how my HMO plan works, in looking at the amount that they and I paid - close to $9,000, the pumped up retail charges such as $107 for dermabond - i.e. a dab of superglue on the incision, the time in the OR mostly waiting to be wheeled in for the 10-15 min procedure and recovery from anesthesia etc. are just outrageous! Reminds me of the $500 toilet seats charged to the military.... I then remembered an interesting article back in 2011 about compensation and rich salaries and benefits that quoted CHOP's CEO Dr. Altschuler: "It's a very rigorous process," said Steven M. Altschuler, CEO of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, whose total compensation is about $2 million annually (but who knows what other compensation he receives). "I think our results speak for themselves. We've had a very good financial performance." Under Altschuler, CHOP has more than doubled in size in the last decade and expects to report $1.8 billion in revenue this year. "Charity or no charity, it is certainly a complex business that has to be run here," said the 57-year-old physician-executive." I subsequently actually emailed Dr. Altschuler about the bills, which to his credit he responded to and it was forwarded to their Family Relations group who said they reviewed the bill and basically found nothing wrong with it! WHICH IN AND OF ITSELF IS EXTREMELY TELLING! ANYWAY! THOUGH THE CHOP STAFF WERE ALL VERY PROFESSIONAL AND I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THEM, I PERSONALLY FIND THE CHARGES AND COSTS OUTRAGEOUS!
ID
Exton, Pennsylvania
Pros
  • Care
Cons
  • Outrageous costs
Reason of review
Outrageous cost for minor surgery
Loss
Preferred solution
Price reduction

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article