Pleased customer!

Erin did a wonderful job with the re upholstery of a chair and bench for my great room. The pattern is an ikat and she lined the prints up perfectly at the seams - you can't even tell where the seams are without looking very closely. She was great about conserving the fabric, which is nice since it was pricey fabric and every yard saved helped my bottom line. She also made several custom pillows and window treatments for my house. She did a great job communicating and her turnaround time was quick. I have used her several times and will definitely use her again.
ID
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reason of review
Good customer service

Chancery Designs overcharging

needed drapes and sheers for 3 rooms/9 windows. A friend gave me the contact. She (Erin Atkinson) came for a consultation for which she charges $50. No problem - time is money. She measured the windows. I gave her a picture of how I want the drapes to look like and the fabric I bought (over $1000). She said the cost would be around $75 for each window. (Times 9=$675) I thought just for sewing, no fabric, no rods, etc. not cheap but I wanted it to be good so I agreed. As soon as she starts she wanted to send me an estimate, which never came and she wanted to keep me posted. She told me she would need a couple of days for the work but could not start right away. After 3 weeks I asked if she had time to start, yet because I never heard a word from her since. She told me she is going to start working on them and wanted to be done before Thanksgiving. What would have been great, but did not happen. The day before Thanksgiving she told me she would finish the drapes this afternoon. She did not make it that afternoon. And asked for another week. Again, that was Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving and she is asking for next week Wednesday. I told her that I am hosting a party this Saturday in my home and hoped for the drapes to be ready by then. Her response: "If I had known there was a party, I would have made sure to have them done by Saturday. We have family in town from Indiana, and I won't be free until early next week. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I will have all of the drapes done for you by then." Well, I understood they were done already. But that was a lie, too. So, the next time I heard from her was a day before she wanted to drop them off. (Scheduled was Wednesday). She asked for even more time. Saturday instead of Wednesday. We scheduled Saturday at noon. And she wanted to email me the invoice, too. Friday evening she emailed :"Just a heads up, I am finishing the sheer drapes tonight, and after cutting each the gray and the white, I'm realizing we are short on fabric for both. I only have enough for 6 gray sheers, and 8 white sheers. We need 8 gray, and 10 white." I do not know why she was thinking that is a heads up.... So, basically she is STILL not finished and hours before drop off she is telling me that she has not enough fabric. Which I had professionally measured and even added a little btw. AND attached is her invoice 'drum roll, please': $2300!!! I answered that I just had a small heart attack and asked for an explanation. Her answer:" My pricing for a lined, pinch pleat panel with drapery weights and pleater hooks is $75, and my price for an unlined sheer pinch pleat panel with drapery weights and pleater hooks is $50." She offered to get more fabric and not charge for that and the $50 consultation. What I think is BS. If fabric is short and will be happy to pay for it and I pay gladly for a consultation. This all would not have happened if she had sent the estimate like promised. Of course, I could have asked for it but first of all I forgot, second I would never have dreamed this could happen and my friend who gave me her contact told me "she is expecting", so I forgave a lot. I guess I am forced to pay the $2300. For that price tag I could have paid my Mom a roundtrip from Germany and she as a skilled taylor could have done...just saying I would have never agreed to her pricing and I know a lot of things I had rather done with that much money.

As I was looking on line to complain about Direct TV I came across this website which I had not seen before, I started reading complaints because I thought it was interesting and though I do not know this place you hired, I am a custom event draping company out of Nashville, and since I am a small business owner myself I never back up not paying but she did so many things incorrect, first SHE should have never done anything without a contract, though you did not ask, I have never done any custom draping without one, I do not charge for a consultation but cannot beleive they did not ask for a deposit. She underbid her sewing and when she got into it found that out, (I would have never sewn pinch pleat panels for that price) but it sounds like it's their set price, since that was the price she gave you $75 a window she should be much closer to that price or discussed as she went along the additional charge, I rarely make drapes from other peoples fabric, because if you order the fabric yourself then you know what you have, but since she agreed to it-just like in construction..measure, measure, measure..before you cut.

I confirm that I have the right amount of fabric before I cut, because I have been shorted many a time from my own wholesale fabric CO. Just recently I made custom drapes for a location and we agreed on a price-of course with a contract and when I went back to my fabric Co. they raised it on me..I did not go back to the client I had to figure out most cost effective way to give them what I promised, and I measured for those drapes 5 times before I cut. Now I do think she did a lot of work more than $75 for each window, but I think the price is more inflated if that was the agreed upon price.

I think you need to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. Hope this helped, though I never did get my complaint in on Direct Tv..I answered you instead much more pleasant.

As I was looking on line to complain about Direct TV I came across this website which I had not seen before, I started reading complaints because I thought it was interesting and though I do not know this place you hired, I am a custom event draping company out of Nashville, and since I am a small business owner myself I never back up not paying but she did so many things incorrect, first SHE should have never done anything without a contract, though you did not ask, I have never done any custom draping without one, I do not charge for a consultation but cannot beleive they did not ask for a deposit. She underbid her sewing and when she got into it found that out, (I would have never sewn pinch pleat panels for that price) but it sounds like it\'s their set price, since that was the price she gave you $75 she should be much closer to that price, some jobs I have lost some on for the price I have given, but unless the client has changed something I have to eat that and learn.

I rarely make drapes from other peoples fabric, because if you order the fabric yourself then you know what you have, but since she agreed to it-just like in construction..measure, measure, measure..before you cut. I confirm that I have the right amount of fabric before I cut, because I have been shorted many a time from my own wholesale fabric CO. Just recently I made custom drapes for a music store and we agreed on a price-of course with a contract and when I went back to my fabric Co. they raised it on me..I did not go back to the client I had to figure out most cost effective way to give them what I promised, and I measured for those drapes 5 times before I cut.

Now I do think she did a lot of work more than $75 for each window, but I think the price is way more inflated if that was the agreed upon price.

View more comments (1)
ID
Charlotte, North Carolina
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article