When it comes to types of software available for download or part of a service, you have thousands of choices. Knowing how to compare computer software is essential for getting the right features and the necessary support to use the software as desired.

More details about Software
reviews
113
issues
Resolved

Companies are selected automatically by the algorithm that evaluates information in their profiles. Some of the algorithm parameters are: user's rating, number of resolved issues, number of company's responses etc. The algorithm is subject to change in future.

Best Software Companies

Show more Show

Popular Product Categories

Show more Show

Picked by Editorial Team

Consumers Opinions about Software ?

I filed my 2018 taxes on 1/16/19 using TurboTax FreeFile. They were accepted and the state direct deposited $892 (2018 refund) into my checking account on 2/20/19. On 3/20/19, I received an email from TurboTax admitting a calculation error on their part (Oregon Schedule OR-A). They advised me to resubmit my 2018 state taxes. When I submitted the amended return, I then owed $711 that I no longer had since it had been 1 month since the state paid me. I called TurboTax the same day (3/20/19) to get more information as to why the calculation error happened and more importantly, why I was notified so late. Please note that my boyfriend, Korbin Stein, filed his taxes with the TurboTax Free-file on 1/16/19 and received a TurboTax "calculation error" email on 1/31/19 (nearly 2 months prior to my miscalculation email was received). The email advised him that TurboTax made a calculation error and that he would need to resubmit. He resubmitted before the state paid him, so his refund was corrected and he doesn't owe. Both of the error calculation emails we received both mention "Oregon Schedule OR-A", but are worded slightly different and are from 2 different email addresses (his was from IntuitElectronicFilingCenter@intuit.com; my email was from CustomerResponse@e.turbotax.intuit.com). This confirms these emails were mailed out separately, and I still haven't gotten a reason as to why I wasn't notified within the same timeframe as Korbin Stein. I have these email copies to provide. I called TurboTax back on 4/10/19 and spoke to a Tier I representative (Tamilia) who agreed this was an unusual and a rare occurrence (she had never heard of this before) and that this issue deserved special treatment. She transferred me to a Tier II, Dana (tax support) who advised I be transferred to the Escalations department. I was transferred and spoke with Walter. He reviewed my account remotely and could see the emails I am referring to as well as my 2018 tax filings. He agreed something needed to be done to rectify the multiple errors, promised to review my account further and to call me back by 4/11-4/12 at the latest. He provided me with Case #449-535-961. He still has not called or emailed me back. I called the evening of 4/12 to follow up and spoke with Tamika. She transferred me to Escalations (Jamija) who submitted a request for one of the presidents to respond to me as there is no higher department I could speak to. She said I would very likely be able to receive the $711 I now owe to the state plus the 5% interest that has been accruing ever since 4/15/19. She provided me an "OOP" reference number of 1162. She said the president ALWAYS responds within 24-48 hours via email or phone. If for some reason they didn't, she advised me to call back and ask for a supervisor. I still have not heard anything from a president. I called back on 4/17/19 and spoke to Jan who transferred me to escalations (Henry). He assured me someone would respond back to me, but I have still not heard anything as of today (4/23/19). I have spent a cumulative of about 5-6 hours on the phone with TurboTax already, and I feel they are not holding up their blatant promises to back their product. Not one of the representatives I have spoken to has been able to tell me why this calculation error occurred, why TurboTax sent notification so late (over 2 months after I filed) or any assurance that this type of issue wouldn't happen again. They fail to return calls and follow up when they promise to. TurboTax "100% guarantees" their calculations - it's stated all over their website. How can customers trust TurboTax when they receive a tax refund? Are they expected to sit on their money until tax day passes? After filing this complaint with the BBB, I miraculously received a call on 4/29/19 from someone named Sheryl from the president's office (not an actual president, as previously promised). She thought I had already spoken to someone in the office named Ben (what internal communication!), but I assured her that no one had reached out to me via email or phone. She tried to blame the state for the late notice (I corrected her, letting her know of TurboTax's email to Korbin on 1/31), then she tried to say my email went to spam (I corrected her, saying I saw it go straight to my inbox on 3/20/19 and called TurboTax the same day). I reiterated that the 2 emails were from separate TurboTax senders and my email was received right away in my inbox on 3/20/19. She could neither confirm or deny that she was calling 1) in response to the BBB complaint I filed and 2) that this situation is a rare, unique circumstance (which should be regarded as such). She clearly did not read all the facts or consider them before calling me. You would think after a customer has spent hours on the phone explaining an issue over and over again, she would have the decency to READ any of TurboTax's internal notes and this BBB complaint. She thought it very unlikely TurboTax would be willing to fully reimburse me due to their policy of only reimbursing penalties or fees up to the first notice (what about your 100% calculation guarantee?). All she could offer were her apologies that customer service never responded to me as promised, and she was not able to provide any real resolution or answers to my questions. She said she would investigate further, but I seriously doubt any willing response back from TurboTax.
My website is hosted at bluehost. I got an email from sitelock about a malware and my account was instantly deactivated.I logged in to the live chat asking for Security, then I got a call from a weird dude from SITELOCK.This guy started asking me how much money I make from that website, and tried to convince me to pay +$700 a year to have the malware removed and some firewall installed.After I repeatedly told him I have no money to invest in that BLOG, he actually told me:"Use someone else's money. Just use a credit card."Every time I told him that I just needed to remove the malware, he would try to scare me saying that it wont work, they will come back, hiring SiteLock is the ONLY way.I felt creeped out and hung up.After some google searches I realized those guys are a scam.Went to the live chat again and asked to speak with customer support.A Bluehost guy told me that all I had to do was delete 3 files on the file manager and the account would be reactivated.I did that in 3 minutes and solved the problem.Sitelock is a scam.
Horrible horrible company, after setting my profile up, I found the service to not fit the needs of my company after the first two months of using it. Only to discover I can't even buy my way out of the contract. There is no way out, according to their customer service. This is a company who aims to squeeze anything out of anybody, and does not aim to serve or help their customers. Horrible horrible ethics, horrible service (when I used it), and horribly unethical trapping mechanisms built into their business model and contracts. Also super disappointed with Facebook for partnering with them and suggesting their services for small business owners.

Our Clients in Software Category

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

Go Beyond Software Checklists

A checklist is a good start for reviewing basic features. However a list can only give you a rudimentary comparison. A checklist lacks a deeper insight into the form, features, feel, and issues within software development methodologies.

Some software companies focus on checking the boxes for marketing purposes and to earn ratings rather than developing a more streamlined or useful feature for customers. More in-depth reviews will often provide more feedback on software features that are cursory rather than highly functional.

Customization of Software

Some software and software services allow personalization or customization for your own business or personal needs. How much customization you will ultimately need depends on how you plan to use the software and your budget restriction, but you should have the option to fine-tune the software you’ve purchased.

The best way to check for customization options is to look for advanced options in the terms of conditions, workflow and rules and to read the software companies reviews created by unbiased experts and other customers. If the same business software can be adapted to an accounting firm and a marketing agency, it has to have at least some customization options.

How to Choose Adaptable Software

The best way to choose the right enterprise software for your company is to know what you are looking for and have a deliberate selection path and criteria including the following steps.

• Prioritize your requirements. It’s not enough to know what you need in a software suite. You must also know what is the most important. Prioritizing your requirements will go beyond just checking boxes and allow you a deeper look into the software.
  • Try it for free. If the software or software service doesn’t offer a free trial, work with the appropriate department in the company to arrange one. Using your list of priorities and needs, test the product extensively during the trial. Look for the capabilities of the software by pushing it to its limits and look for areas that will need customization and improvement.
  • Measure simplicity. How easy is it to get the job done using the software? Do you have to host the software or is there a software service that is more functional? Having to make extra clicks and go through extra steps can be tedious and time-wasting, even if the end product is satisfactory.
  • Check intuitiveness. Even if you are the only one using the software, you’re going to miss some features during a trial period. You will need to figure things out down the road, or you will be working with employees who are doing the same thing. While a great customer service team is also critical, being able to figure out how to do most of what you need is a great feature as well.
  • Assess the customer service now and later. Companies will do anything and everything to help you learn to love their product before you buy it. The real test is how the customer service will treat you after the money is spent and the refund period has expired.

The reliability of customer service is often best measured through reviews. Read what others have said and discovered before you and allow their experiences to guide your own. The reviews for software companies may provide valuable insight you hadn’t previously considered. This is especially important if you will be implementing new software across your company with multiple users.

Don’t just rely on your own opinion to find software that seems to be a good fit. A selection committee offers different viewpoints and user experiences if you are choosing a comprehensive, large piece of software. Choosing the best software can be expensive and time consuming. It makes sense to spend the time and energy to compare and select carefully.

Understanding the Types of Computer Software

Software is a broad term that covers a wide selection of programs. Software can be downloaded to your machine or sold as part of an ongoing service and hosted online. Fundamentally, software makes hardware work. But making the screen light up or the keyboard functional is only the tip of the digital iceberg. There are millions of programs out there, but almost all fall into one of the following software types.

System Software

The system software on your computer allows everything else to work. The system is the brain of the computer and it provides a platform for functionality. Different brands and types of computer (and smart devices for that matter) use different brands of system software in order to allow the computer to function.

Programming Software

Computers speak multiple languages, but the programmer must also be fluent. Programming software includes the platform necessary for coders and engineers to “speak” to the computer. These are used to write, debug, test, improve and develop all other types of programs for computers and devices.

Content Control

You can limit or control what users can see and do on their computers using content control software. These include parental monitoring software, firewalls and web protection systems.

Utility Software

The janitorial staff of the software world, these are small programs coexist with other system software to help manage hardware and other software packages by defragmenting and cleaning periodically. For example the registry cleaner speeds up your computer by deleting the invalid registry entries and cleaning up the trail software downloads can leave behind.

Application Software

While system software is necessary to make the computer turn on and do anything at all, application software are programs that fit the needs or wishes of the user and might be cloud-based or run from a personal computer or server. Application software covers a wide range of offerings including the following:

• Project Management Software – A package that allows multiple users to simultaneously access the programs to allocate resources, schedule and collaborate.
  • Internet Browsers – To access the internet, you will need some form of access software.
  • Antivirus Software – Security software is designed to fight off harmful programs and protect your computer.
  • Graphics Software – Designing images and art on the computer requires the use of software that can handle very fine graphical detail.
  • E-Commerce Software – While e-commerce occurs over the internet, building the necessary websites, online stores and platforms requires e-commerce software on your computer.
  • Games – Games come in a variety of styles and options.
  • Office – There are many types of software to help write papers, design reports, organize information and perform mathematical functions.
  • Media – Computers not only use media software to let you watch movies and see pictures, but to edit and improve them as well.
  • Educational Software – Programs designed to help students learn and allow teachers and administrators to manage digital classroom components.

The world of technology is changing rapidly, and software is changing along with it. While this list includes many of the most common examples of software in today’s world, there is no telling what might be included in the computing world of tomorrow.