Looking to find a high-quality rental property you’ll be able to turn into a home? Good. Whether this is your first or last rental experience, keep the below in mind before you sign the lease.

More details about Rentals

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

Compare Reviews for Rentals

Show more Show

Popular Product Categories

Show more Show

Top Products and Services in Rentals

Picked by Editorial Team

Consumers Opinions about Rentals ?

Green Motion charged me £655 for the damage as per the photos attached. On returning the vehicle I had no awareness of the scratches, that is, I had not knowingly brushed, bumped or otherwise caused the scratches. When I returned the car, it was extremely busy and I was informed to wait in the office-lo and behold they inspected my car in my absence, and called me over to inform me of the 'damage'. At first I had no reason to doubt that I may have caused them, and accepted that I may have to pay for repair....Until I found out that the charge was £655. While I was at the counter, having something of a 'heated debate' about the costs, the manage promised me that the work would be carried out, and I would be refunded my money minus costs incurred-I have since found out that they will not repair the car, and they will stand to make 100% profit out of this charge. Given the fact that I have proof that the manager lied to my face, I now suspect that the person checking my car while I was in the office may have caused the scratches so that they could issue this charge.
I am writing to warn folks that Europcar offered to include the Dartford crossing fee on my rental and then 4 weeks later I received a no payment notice and an admin fee of £40 from Europcar. The Gatwick airport desk is very busy but that is no excuse for the agent to give wrong information. Europcar then take no action despite emails and phone calls. Finally promised action only to receive an email the following day informing me that it was my responsibility to pay the £2.50 fee. Now I am facing an £80 penalty on top of the £40 admin fee for Europcar's mistake. Please take great care when booking a car with Europcar and if you are unlucky enough to have Marce as your agent then check everything. If one looks at the number of complaints against Europcar it is clear to see that this is a company that simply has no customer service standard and should be avoided at all times.
August 31, 2017 Budget Rent-A-Car 7135 Gilespie Las Vegas, NV 89119 Dear Sir or Madam, Upon arriving to Las Vegas on August 15th following a four-hour flight from Florida, we went to pick up our prepaid rental car. We had reserved a Chrysler 200 or similar vehicle and prepaid the $586.50 inclusive of taxes and fees. We were informed there were no Chrysler 200s available and was offered a Kia Soul. Not wanting the Kia, the agent promptly asked if I had a Costco account. I said no, but did have a Sam's Club account. She said that would be the same and said I could thus receive a 35% discount on an upgrade. She offered both a Premium and a luxury upgrade daily rate. Obviously upset about the situation, I left the desk to speak with my wife. The agent came over to us and said her manager would allow her to take us to see the vehicles offered. We proceeded to follow her out as she continued to push the Luxury upgrade saying it was the best for the price. A lone Cadillac was prominently parked nearby. As we passed, we told the agent we were not interested in a Luxury vehicle. We were then shown two Toyota Avalons and we chose one. Though I did not agree with the upgrade, under duress I reluctantly signed for the upgrade. This brought the total cost of the two-week rental to $1,042.38. Not only was this a classic bait and switch, I could have rented the Avalon in advance and paid only $624.86. (See attached Avalon rental cost). To make matters worse, upon leaving security stopped us because the car's registration did not match the paperwork. We had to return to the counter and have the agent re-do the rental papers. She spoke to another agent saying "I see what happened", though she never informed us what the problem was. After wasting an hour of time, we finally departed only to realize later that the vehicle had a strong odor of smoke. Though the car's driver's side window had a no smoking'' sticker, a prior renter had indeed heavily smoked and Budget neglected to have the car cleaned. We had no choice at that point, other than wasting additional vacation time. A Kia Soul is NOT similar to a Chrysler 200. (See attached specification reports on both vehicles.) Due to this breach of contract by Budget-Rent-A-Car, we demand a full refund of the upgrade cost of $455.88. This was not a customer friendly experience.

What to Check on a Rental Property When Hunting for a Good Living Unit?

People who decide to rent rather than buy a property should be cautious about these top 5 crucial specifics:

The Price

Budget plays a real role in most rental property hunting exploits. To spare yourself the disappointment, conduct a bit of online research to get an idea of typical rental rates. Also, talk to rental companies in the area. Don’t get carried away with units that look good online but are priced too low. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The Quality

Professional photos of a rental property are great, but are they the reality? Always arrange to see the property in-person to check on potential cosmetic and more significant issues. Also, look for health and safety issues such as water damage, bug problems, leaky faucets, etc. You don’t want to end up with a property that hasn’t been adequately maintained for a while.

The Landlord

A good landlord means good life. Meet with your potential lessor on several instances to see if you vibe well. You want someone honest, with a mild temper, a sense of boundaries, and good ethics. If you are renting through a rental agency, ask more about your potential landlord.

The Lease

Before signing the lease, have your lawyer or a local realtor look over it to make sure it’s:

• Legitimate
  • A real, standard lease with no surprises

Go over the lease to be sure of things like:

• If it’s a 6-month, one year or month-to-month type of lease
  • When monthly rent due
  • Is your deposit refundable
  • Are roommates & subletting allowed
  • Who is responsible for the maintenance
  • What utilities you are responsible for covering and if any of the utilities are included in the rent

The Neighborhood

Walk/drive around the neighborhood to get a sense of the community. Spend some time in that location to get a better idea of the area’s demographics and the general age of its inhabitants. Check rentals reviews of the location. You also want to investigate the area’s safety record, traffic or parking regulations, and its overall dynamics.

Quality and Price Ratio for Rental Properties... What Should You Know?

If you’ve never before invested in a rental property but are now considering it as the best way to expand your investments and secure cash flow for the future, here are 2 formulas you should know:

The One Percent Rule

The One Percent Rule comes down to a simple equation: If the rent before expenses (the gross monthly rent) equals at least 1% of the purchase price, it’s a good investment to look further into. Otherwise, it’ll usually be skipped.

For example, a $300,000 property would need to rent for $3,000 per month to be considered a good investment, per One Percent Rule. However, it usually depends on the buyer whether they’ll make any rental price tweaks and other changes.

The Cap Rate

The first thing to do is to calculate the cap rate, i.e., the rate of return you’ll make on a property in case you buy it cash.

Net income : asset cost = cap rate

E.g.: You buy a home for $200,000.

It rents for $1,500 per month.

Your expenses (insurance, taxes, management, maintenance, repairs) average out to $500 per month, with the escrowed sum for taxes and insurance included and principal and interest payments on your mortgage excluded.

With your "net operating income" $1,000 per month, or $12,000 per year, your cap rate is $12,000 / $200,000 = 0.06, or 6%

It is up to you to decide if you are okay with this percentage. Plus, you can always talk to an honest rental company with good rating to help out.

What Renters Like and Dislike about a Rental Property?

Going through numerous rentals reviews and gathering apartment rental complaints, we put together a list of the most common renters’ likes and dislikes for you to check out:

Among the top 12 things renters like about a rental property are:

• Great location rating
  • Good safety and security
  • Move-in ready condition
  • School district
  • Appliances included
  • Strategic/high-quality upgrades and renovations
  • Storage (i.e., basement)
  • A cooperative and honest landlord
  • Real (i.e., genuine) house rental reviews

Speaking of dislikes when renting a property, things are pretty clear in that domain, too. Good tenants and serious renters dislike:

• Being disturbed by inconsiderate neighbors and/or landlords as well as unforeseen constructions and repairs, either in their units or common areas
  • Having no place to park, even though agreed that there is a spot secured per every apartment.
  • Landlords who respond slowly to repair requests/complaints or ignore them altogether
  • Being kept in the dark by their landlords (i.e., failing to receive early notice on changes in the apartment complex, repairs, events, etc.)
  • Feeling unsafe due to low security in their apartment complex despite being promised proper security
  • Being unappreciated or put under the impression that they can be thrown out of the apartment at any moment
  • Landlords who increase rent without a previous notice

What Are the Most Practical Features a Rental Property Should Have?

Based on house rental reviews and most common renters’ requirements, these two stand out:

The Amenities

No matter how gorgeous your rental property is, if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle it’s not worth the enthusiasm (or money!). So, when choosing a rental apartment, here are a few things to consider:

• Do you need an elevator?
  • Do you need a doorman or extra security?
  • Is there a washing machine and dryer in your apartment building?
  • Does the apartment have a dishwasher?
  • Are there shops/markets/restaurants in the neighborhood?

If you’re on a tight budget, there’ll have to be some adjustments, for sure. Hire a rental company to help you out.

Security

You can’t put a price on feeling safe in your own home, can you? Landlords should make sure the properties they are renting have any (or all) of the following:

• A new door with a better lock system
  • Security cameras
  • Security in the building
  • Alarm systems, per living unit
When hunting for a rental property, we strongly recommend you not only pay attention to rental reviews but hire a rental agency to help you find the best fit. With so many reviews for rental companies online, you can easily find one you feel would agree with your lifestyle and requirements.