There are many different options when it comes to moving to a new home or storing your belongings. No matter what your situation is, there is surely a combination of solutions to suit your needs.

More details about Moving and Storage
Consumer
reviews
issues
Resolved

Companies are selected automatically by the algorithm that evaluates information in their profiles. Some of the algorithm parameters are: user's rating, number of resolved issues, number of company's responses etc. The algorithm is subject to change in future.

Best Moving and Storage Companies

Saf-T-Box
1 review

Compare Reviews for Moving and Storage

More reviews Show

Consumers Opinions about Moving and Storage ?

According to Site locates on South Gulph Mills Road in KOP Pennsylvania My unit is being auctioned off tomorrow and I am a COVID-19 patient! I am highly disappointed with the level of service provided by Tim who obviously does not care about me as a valued customer!
In March of 2020, we had a small fire with a lot of water damage, so we had to move everything out, put it in storage for a few months, and move back. For the two moves and the storage, we paid Cummings a total of $6777.50.When we moved out, we authorized that some items be disposed due to water or smoke damage. Cummings disposed of a number of additional items without listing them in their Household Goods Descriptive Inventory. The move foreman made two lists: list of goods to be stored and returned a dispose-dump list. However, they disposed of (or possibly keptsee below) a number of additional items that we did not authorize for disposal and that they did not put on either. The wrongfully disposed goods were a large chair mat, a hamper, two large bookcases, a large box of sewing supplies, a large paperweight, a clothes hanging rack, the contents of a desk drawer, an inflatable mattress, and two expensive torchiere lamps. Before the movers left, we checked the disposal list carefully and none of these items was listed, except the torch lamps, so we figured everything else was on the storage list, which ran to three pages and listed mostly boxes and furniture. After they returned our goods after storage, we noticed that the above goods were missing and filed a claim for the missing items. They denied our claim, saying they were not on the storage list! If they were not on either list, they obviously failed to list them at all, but took no responsibility for this omission.However, I doubt if it would have done any good even if they listed the missing items on either list because they expressly agreed to save and return two torchiere lamps but failed to do so. Initially, they put the two torchieres, which were relatively new and in perfect condition, on the disposal list. When we saw this, we objected and told the foreman to store and return them, which he agreed to do. We marked them as save also. Nevertheless, when they moved the goods back from storage, the torchieres were missing and a different foreman told me that they were disposed and offered no explanation, except that I should file a claim. When I filed a claim with Cummings and listed the lamps as disposed against express instructions, they completely ignored this in their replysee below. The lamps cost $434 with tax. We dont know what happened to the lamps and the other goods, but they charged us $580 for dump fees. However, one of the men, when wheeling out our dining table, which we had authorized for disposal, indicated that this was an expensive item and that he would be taking it home for himself.The other part of our complaint concerns the extremely sloppy and unprofessional way they packed and handled some of our goods. They put an expensive vase in the same carton with a heavy metal parts storage cabinet, with no padding or wrapping of either item or between. By some miracle, the vase was not broken. But in another carton, a lamp was not so lucky. Below is a picture of the top of the carton showing how it was packed: everything (mostly telephones) was just dumped in with no padding. A ceramic lamp was dumped on top with no padding and, as shown in the other picture, it broke into many pieces. A third instance occurred when they moved out a heavy desk: They emptied the side drawers and packed the contents in boxes, but ignored the center drawer. They turned the desk on its side, put it on a dolly and were wheeling it out, when I pointed out to them that the contents of the drawer were leaking and they needed to put the desk back on its legs and empty and pack the center drawer. They said they would and took it down but I never saw the contents of the drawer again.In answer to my claim, Cummings said that we had selected only basic coverage, which was $0.60 per pound, and all we were entitled to was $3 for the lamp, which weighed 5 pounds (2.27 kg). They completely ignored our claim for the missing torchieres, which they disposed of after expressly promising to store and return them. They evidently felt some guilt because they said that in good faith they sent us a $50 check for reimbursement based on your evaluation and that our acceptance of the check would release Cummings from any further liability and our claim was now closed. We figured that our loss for the damaged and missing goods was many times more, so we are instead publishing our sad story in hopes that others will be warned and will have more information before trusting their household goods to this mover.
Moving is a change. Change is always stressful. Companies that work in this field have two options: one is to offer a service that fulfills the need to move in an atmosphere with policies, procedures and personnel that reduce the stress. Second, however, unfortunately as with Cross Country Movers, the company seeks to capitalized on the moving crisis by preying on the stress to increase their profit.First, let me share some background. I’m 75. My wife and I have been married since college and have moved 5 times, all within a 30-mile radius. I was totally ignorant of how long distance moving operates.As I made Internet inquiries, I was contacted by Cross Country Movers. I tried my best to estimate with the agent what we would move. I realized that I hadn’t included some things and adjusted the inventory. We had also sold several things. I thought we were close but not exact to the estimate. And although their literature said “if you are substantially above the estimate, you will be charged” in reality they meant “if you are ONE cubit foot over the estimate you will be charged.”What I learned between 5PM and 11 PM (yes that would be PM when the truck and movers arrived and to load in the dark; they also arrived at 8PM to unload. Preferring to work in the dark and sucking blood are two indications that the personnel could be vampires.) one Thursday evening in a small town in Indiana with a small house load of furniture moving to small town in Pennsylvania was to warn anyone I can, anyway I can, if you are considering a cross country move, run, do not walk, as far away from Cross Country movers as you can.The 2 movers (and I was told that there would be 4) arrived, the head honcho walked through the house and announced, “you have a 1100 cubic feet of furniture and boxes; they underestimated the couch, love seat and chair were overstuffed and didn’t allow enough cubic feet because they only allowed you 671 cubic feet in the price which is quoted at $ 3.00/cubic ft. But if we load it now, it’s gonna cost you $7.00 a cubic ft, so the price is going up $2800. You okay with that?”What happened next was somewhat surreal. The head honcho mover told me that he and his partner didn’t make very much and if I scratched his back, he’d scratch mine, i.e. if I paid him under the table, he squeeze me into some more cubic ft at a better price. I am, in retrospect, somewhat ashamed, as many elderly victims are when they have been scammed, agreed to pay him and his partner $ 500. As I look back on it, not only was I scammed, but the employee was cheating his employer. And as I was in the throes of chaos and a crisis, I had unwittingly become a participant in a white-collar crime.And with the under the table money, I still wound up with a dozen item that I had to leave, find a place to store (I am thankful that God provided me 2 friends who jumped in and helped me out.) and will have to hire a 2nd truck to drive from Indiana to Pennsylvania with the rest of my belongings.Cross Country movers was not a customer friendly company to me as a customer. Had Cross Country movers had a protocol that was user focused and friendly with people who are moving, ergo, going through stress in their lives, I might have been a satisfied customer instead of a provoked victim of a very abusive business who takes advantage of people in the crisis and stress of moving and uses that advantage to increase their profit.Cross Country movers will say that they are a family run moving business; what they don’t say is that the family is the Corleone family.

Our Clients in Moving and Storage Category

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

Latest Articles on Help Center in Moving and Storage

Choosing the Right Moving and Storage Options for You

When you need to move your belongings from one place to another, you will generally have three categories of options: full-service, self-service, or hybrid.

• Full-service moves cost the most, but minimize the work you need to do. Hired movers will load the moving truck or cargo van for you, transport your things to the new location, and unload them. Many companies will even do all the packing for you. Full-service moves of greater than 500 miles can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 or more for large homes.
  • Self-service moves are ideal for the budget-conscious. In most cases, you will only need to pay for a truck and put gas in it. All the driving and heavy lifting will be up to you. Long-distance self-service moves typically cost around $1,000 to $2,000 for a 3 or 4 bedroom home.
  • Hybrid moves allow you to decide exactly which parts of your move you want to do yourself and what you’d rather pay someone else to handle. After renting a moving truck, cargo van or storage pods, you can make individual choices about who will handle the packing, loading, unloading, and transport services to best suit your needs. Because there are so many ways to do a hybrid move, prices can vary widely.

Although it’s nice to be able to move directly from one location to another, it’s not always possible. You may need to store your belongings for weeks or months before you can move into your new home. You have just as many options when it comes to storing your things as you have about moving them.

• Traditional storage facilities may be the best option if you need to store your belongings for longer than 2-3 months. Monthly rates are often the lowest compared to pods, but you’ll need to move things in and out twice - into the storage unit and then back out again. In addition, there may be limitations on when and how you can access your rented unit.
  • On-site pod storage can be a great option if, for example, you’ve already taken ownership of a new property but can’t move into it right away. The transportation company that delivers the pods will move them to an outdoor location at your new property and charge moderate monthly rental fees for the pod itself, usually for as long as you need it.
  • Remote pod storage combines the best elements of the previous two options with the tradeoff of higher monthly fees. If you want the convenience of a moving pod but don’t have anywhere to put it in the short term, some companies will store it unopened at their own facilities. Extra options like climate control and enhanced security features are often available as well.

What Customers Like and Dislike About Moving and Storage

Based on reviews from pissedconsumer.com and other sites, the top things customers like about moving and storage companies are:

• Friendly movers and employees: Moving can be one of the most stressful life events, and customers appreciate it when the helpers they hire make the process as easy as possible.
  • On-time delivery of trucks, pods, or moving supplies: Moving or storing your belongings usually involves coordinating several appointments across multiple days, and someone being late can cause problems for everything else down the line.
  • Flexible payment options: Especially in the case of a new home purchase, movers may not have much cash on hand until after the first house is packed up and closed. Customers appreciate it when moving and storage companies are willing to bill in arrears.

Top Customer Complaints and Dislikes About Moving and Storage Companies:

• Hidden charges: Customers get annoyed when unexpected fees appear on their bill. Especially for the services they didn’t need.
  • Insufficient security or handling procedures: Nothing ruins a move faster than discovering that your belongings have been damaged, lost, or stolen while in someone else’s care.

How to Choose a Moving Company

There are thousands of moving companies in the United States alone, and it’s not always easy to tell which ones are reputable and which are not. Fortunately, it’s not hard to tell the difference with some basic due diligence.

The best and most transparent movers will:

• Take a detailed inventory and perform a thorough walkthrough of your home, spending as much time as necessary to reassure you that their quoted price is accurate and that your belongings will be handled carefully;
  • Never demand deposits or payments up front;
  • Happily provide references, especially if they are a new or small company;
  • Provide a clear and simple menu of services;
  • Never ask you to sign a blank contract for them to “fill in later;”
  • Explain their policies concerning liability for damage to your things and provide information on third-party insurance, should you wish to purchase it.

By asking prospective movers about these issues during an initial interview, you should be able to confidently choose the best company for your needs.

How to Assess a Storage Facility

Many of the basic questions you would ask a moving company would be appropriate to ask a storage facility, in slightly different contexts. In addition to reading reviews, be sure to ask questions such as:

• Does your prospective storage unit have enough space around it to accommodate your moving truck or van?
  • What security features do they have on the premises?
  • What do they do to keep pests and rodents under control?
  • Do they offer insurance on your belongings, or warranties on their own equipment?
  • Is the storage unit located in a high-crime area?
  • Do employees have access to individual units, or only the manager?
  • What are their hours? Are there times you won’t be able to access your things?
  • Are features such as individual unit alarms and climate control available, if needed?
  • Have you thoroughly read their lease agreement and do you understand their pricing structure, including the terms of any limited sales or specials?

Ideally, ask a facility’s manager to take five minutes to answer these questions; a regular employee may not know the answers to all of them. If you find the answers unsatisfactory—or if the manager is unwilling to respond to your questions in a forthright manner—you may want to consider a different storage facility.

Organizing a move can seem overwhelming, especially if you need to store a house full of furniture at the same time. The process can be much easier and less stressful if you begin researching your options at least a month or two ahead. Take time to understand and prioritize your needs, don’t settle for evasive or unclear answers to your questions, and your move will be behind you before you know it.