It can be a drain to find the best services when it comes to routine home maintenance. If you’re naturally good at around-the-house work and have the time to clean, great! But if you find yourself needing some help, for whatever reason, sometimes it can be a good idea to hire someone to take care of those nagging issues on the to-do list.

More details about Household Services
Consumer
reviews
issues
Resolved

Companies are selected automatically by the algorithm that evaluates information in their profiles. Some of the algorithm parameters are: user's rating, number of resolved issues, number of company's responses etc. The algorithm is subject to change in future.

Best Household Services Companies

Worst Household Services Companies

Compare Reviews for Household Services

More reviews Show

Picked by Editorial Team

Consumers Opinions about Household Services ?

We put a claim in for a plumbing issue back at the beginning of July, 2020 regarding a plumbing issue. After several calls and reaching out over multiple social media sites we were told to get our own plumber. It was at this point we were told we would receive a refund of the $75 fee due to all the issues we had. So we did as instructed and the plumber came out and said we had a bad valve on our water heater. They contacted AHS and instead of AHS allowing them to do the work AHS contacted Hays County plumbing. Now for whatever reason the original claim was cancelled and a new claim was created. The plumber from Hays County Plumbing came out inspected the water heater and confirmed the valve was no good. Then this plumber asked to see our 2nd water heater played around with a few things and left. A day later I notice water coming out of the closet from our 2nd water heater where the plumber was and found a small flood. I contacted AHS and tried to explain this to the people over the phone. And again reached out on social media after multiple calls and sitting on hold for hours on end. Finally someone on facebook responded and asked me to be patient. I am trying to be patient but it is now 6 days later and I am having to use towel and a shop vac to keep the water from doing any more damage. We did call the plumber from Hays County and their response was they did not touch the 2nd water heater and that is a flat out lie as I watched him do it. On top of that I am now getting messages that I owe a $75 service fee when I was told it would be refunded and that has not happened either. My wife and I have been with AHS in this house since we bought it 13 years ago. And prior to that I had AHS at my previous residence. The customer service used to be top notch. At some point AHS started using call centers and I have nothing against using call centers but when there are complex situations there needs to be a way to contact someone who's english is not their primary language. I have tried to be patient, but I am feeling rather neglected as a paying customer. Regardless of all the issues I have with AHS at the moment I just need to talk to someone and get this leak fixed so it does not do any more damage to my home.
I am a permanent and totally disable Veteran. Last year in June I begin experiencing issues with one of my AC units. I went all summer with no air while AHS sent out contractors that never fixed the problem but always tried to up sale me on a new unit. Finally, in September the compressor was replaced in the unit cooled to about 76 degrees (though it was set for 72). After two weeks I turn it off for the fall and winter. Fast-forward to March of this year, AHS sent out an email about getting your AC checked before the summer. So, I had them come out a check both system at a cost of $75 each. The Technician determined that my Condenser in the same unit needed replacing and would cost me $1400, I complained because I just had the system repair less than 7 months previous and had only used it for 2 weeks then. AHS would not do the right thing, so I paid the $1400 to AHS to repair. Well that did not fix the problem, so AHS sent another contractor who informed me the lines were clogged, and he had unclogged them. Well, that did not work so another contractor came out and informed me the lines were clogged, and they were not covered. I immediately informed him that his coworker had unclogged the lines less than a week ago, he then informed me that AHS really just scam customers on AC repair and will never really replace it, they just continue to charge the customer exorbitant prices for Freon to the customer just finances or pays for a new system. I have been with AHS for over 14 yrs and have seen a definite drop in customer service and their business practice is to stall, lie, and deflect. Why can't companies do the right thing? I have spent over $12K with AHS over the years. AHS please help me, my health will not allow another summer burning up from heat in the house!
American Home shield have worked on an old unit I have multiple times and fixed it with me paying for Freon ect.. and the $100 service fee in November of 2018 the condensing unit began to freeze over with ice, so I called..the came out and said low on Freon, so I paid $400 for Freon.. two weeks later it's froze again, so they said it need a defrost control board, and replaced that item that was covered, a week later, it was froze again.. Now they're saying it physically damaged and they're not going to fix it... So they spen money on it, and had me spend money on it, but when it could not be fixed, they said it's physically damaged, I've done nothing to the unit and nothing's changed sense they were making repairs.Now, I've talked to multiple supervisors, they all agree this is not right, but My air heat pump is still broken..Now they're telling me I'll get a call back 3 times I've been told a supervisor will call me.No one ever does. so now I'm being lied to.

Our Clients in Household Services Category

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

How to Find the Best Household Services

Some terms you’re going to hear a lot when it comes to contractor services are Business/Commercial and Residential. Business/Commercial services refer to services for businesses and larger infrastructure, whereas residential services refer to services for homes.

Here are some common types of home maintenance services and their nuances.

Pest Control Services

This is hands down one of the most important types of maintenance, because if you , for example, have a wooden home termites can eat right through your walls and damage the structure.

In addition to this, there are all sorts of roaches and rodents that love to invade our dwellings whenever the opportunity arises.

So what do you gain through hiring a specialist? Well, there are a lot of videos and self-help materials out there for hunting down pests, but a good pest specialist will know just how to fix your problem without the trial and error you’d deal with on your own.

So consider hiring a specialist if you’re either not winning the war against your little invaders, or if you just need to end the battle once and for all.

Cleaning Services

If your maintenance needs to fall in the cleaning category, there are indoor and outdoor services you can call on to get your place looking good. All you have to do is a little Internet research to find where to hire the people you need.

For indoor services, there are residential cleaning services and business cleaning services – so search accordingly. And it’s the same story with outdoor services.

There are services for interior home/office cleaning, gutter cleaning, pool cleaning and much more. The choice depends on whether you want to clean a particular part of house, garden, patio etc.

Electrician Services

Electricians will fix anything to do with lights, power and electricity in general. It is one of the most difficult trades to learn and is extremely dangerous.

It’s imperative to get someone who knows what they’re doing (at an expert level) when it comes to wiring or repairing your electric infrastructure. This isn’t something anyone should try on their own without professional services or supervision.

Once again, you’ll find that some small businesses specialize in residential electricity, some specialize in commercial and some do both.

So if you need electrical work done, we recommend that you hire a reputable contractor unless you are highly qualified to do that type of work yourself.

Plumbing Services

Plumbing is a close second behind electricity when it comes to needing professional help to get it done. It goes without saying -- keeping your pipes going strong is so important if you want a clean and functioning home.

So if you have a leaking or broken pipe under a sink or shower, or if you’re having sewage backup, a plumber will be able to fix that for you.

You’ll find there are business and residential options among plumbing businesses to choose from as well. Just do your research on these companies because you’ll want the best of the best.

As a bonus tip, turn off the water to your house if you have an emergency leak in a pipe. Doing so will allow you to asses the situation without water pressure making it worse.

Flooring Services

Business and residential companies tend to mix into one clump when it comes to hardwood flooring. The main types of flooring are tile, hardwood, carpet and linoleum. Flooring is an art form, especially when it comes to tile and hardwood flooring.

With tile, there are so many shades and designs to choose from. So if you want to change up the look of your home, maybe consider getting your tile re-done.

And with hardwood floors, there are a lot of different wood types to choose from, which all have specific looks. Want something dark and dense? Try Walnut. Looking for something a little bit brighter? Try White Oak.

Most floors won’t need all of the wood to be replaced, though, as sanding over the top and applying finish is usually enough.

There are also a lot of finishes you can use; there’s semi-gloss, high gloss, oil based, water based and more, which brings us to our next category.

Painting Services

Whether your project is business or residential, if you need to get both your floors re-finished/installed and your walls painted on the inside of your home, have the painters go first.

Even if painters are careful, using plastic and all, it’s hard to avoid spilling some paint on the floors. This undoes a lot of time and money when it comes to renovating a home or office.

You just don’t want to have your newly finished floors messed up by paint. Of course, sometimes sanding machines can ding up paint as well. But the comparison of damage makes having painters go first a must common sensibly speaking.

Damage by sanding machines can be covered up easily, whereas having a Dalmatian paint-spotted floor is a nightmare.

And finally, no matter what the project is, you’ll want to choose conscientious painters – people who really care that their work looks good.

Walling Services

Whether you need siding, drywall or masonry, there are businesses that can provide those services for you either commercially or residentially.

Out of the above services, masonry is the service that requires the most professionalism since it has to do with structure. So if you need masonry done and you’re not an expert, calling in help is the best way to go.

However, there are a lot of factors that make all of the above-mentioned things a real pain if you haven’t professionally learned how to do them yourself. So depending on your skill-level, you may want to hire a contractor.

5 Tips For Using Contractor Services

Here are a few things we highly recommend you consider when dealing with contractors:

1. The best contractor services are the ones you hear about from friends and neighbors. You’ll want to go by word of mouth first when it comes to hiring someone to work on your home. When setting out to find a service, call your friends first and ask them if they have a certain pool cleaning service that they like, for example. Doing this will save you a lot of trouble as far as researching businesses.
  2. The company should have a shining online profile with tons of great reviews. Say you can’t figure out from word of mouth who to choose – don’t worry. There are many websites you can browse to find out if a company has a good reputation or not. Just check online review sites. You will likely find some bad reviews with any company, but the important thing is that they resolve those issues and strive to make the customer happy at the end of the day.
  3. Don’t be alone in the home when you’re expecting contractors. It’s just common sense - have a few people over when the contractors arrive and when they’re working. However, if you trust them, feel free to leave a combination lock on the door with a key inside it that they can access. It depends on what you’re comfortable with. Again, the best contractors are the ones you know or the ones your friends know.
  4. Get quotes from several contractors to make sure you’re getting the best service at the best price. You’ll find that different businesses will quote you different prices for the same work. For this reason, it’s best to get quotes from as many people as you can to help you figure out who to hire. Weigh the pros/cons of the price alongside a company’s reputation, and you’ll make a decision you’re satisfied with.
  5. Make sure there is crystal clear communication between you and the service provider as to what will be provided at what price. If there’s a contract, read the whole thing. Make sure there are no questions as to what you’re going to pay for. Communication is so important in the planning stages of a project. So don’t get caught off guard; over-communicate and you’ll be a happier customer in the long run.

Getting a contractor to help you out may be what you need in order to get things done. Heed these tips and take your time picking the right company – you won’t regret it.