There are hundreds of different types of credit cards available for consumers. While they all allow you to borrow money, they each have perks that may or may not work in your favor. One way to figure out which card is right for you is to examine the kinds of credit cards available and the benefits they offer.

More details about Cards

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

Compare Reviews for Cards

Show more Show

Popular Product Categories

Top Products and Services in Cards

Picked by Editorial Team

Consumers Opinions about Cards ?

My debit card account was hacked. I found the evidence on December 10, 2017. I called Direct Express immediately and gave them notice of the intrusion. Direct Express has allowed a provisional purchase, made on December 9, 2017, to be paid to the fraudsters on December 22, 2017. I had to resort to contacting the Better Business Bureau in order to get to a representative of Direct Express. They have delayed their "investigation" after I gave them all the information they needed, and they have allowed additional debits to be made from my account. Direct Express is in direct violation of a couple federal laws, Section 226.12 Paragraph 12 (B), and Paragraph 12 (B) 2 (iii) 3. They act with impunity and try to make excuses. They delayed the adjudication of my case from the original date of December 26 until January 10, 2018. The customer service advocate is protecting the "investigators." I have done their job; I know what they can do and should do. I have friends who are in bank fraud units. Direct Express held up my money, compromised by business, and kept me from buying Christmas presents. I have payments to make for software which keeps me from working. The Comerica office in Detroit was of no help. I spoke with a woman name Susan Schmidt, a VP, who referred the matter back to the same incompetent person at Direct Express. I had to collect the money from the vendor; Direct Express did not lift a finger to help, postponing my "case" for 2 weeks (also a violation). If I cannot get the attention of the fed agency to do their job, I am ready to recruit other disaffected customers and go after them for damages. They are doing this to older retirees whose cards have been compromised. I am a retired private investigator, and I do not quit easily. I can be reached at my publishing company, Erik Publishing. Contact me, I am easy to find. Anyone who had had monies held hostage by Direct Express as a result of fraud on your card, join me. I am moving forward and will help any and all.
This is a copy of a complaint I filed with Synchrony Financial via a "complaint form" I found at Elliot.org. This company is a farce and I'm pretty sure my issue will not get resolved, meaning that I'll be paying a LOT MORE $$$ for a $150 charge than I should have. Interest, but the extra $25/month for 2 plus years! HOPELESS! I will never use Synchony Financial again. I also sent a copy of this email to other contacts I found on Elliot.org site - the "higher ups". We'll see if anything happens. Here's my beef: I am an extremely upset customer! Long story, but will try to minimize my comments. I purchased appliances at HHGregg by applying for credit from your company. I received all but ONE correct appliance in the 4 appliance package; however, all appliances (all 4, even though I only received 3 of the correct appliances) were purchased with the 3 years same as cash option on Synchrony credit. Since the store didn't have the correct microwave in stock to complete the package order, they provided me with a "loaner" microwave until the correct microwave came into stock. This loaner microwave was a cheaper model than the microwave I purchased as part of the package deal. FINALLY, the last CORRECT appliance (microwave) arrives - about 4 months after the original purchase of the 4-appliance package. Since the "loaner" microwave was cheaper than the correct microwave, the difference in cost was now added to my Synchrony account as an adjustment; HOWEVER, THIS ADJUSTMENT WAS NOT ADDED ONTO MY ACCOUNT AS PART OF THE PROMOTIONAL PACKAGE. Upon multiple contacts over the last 4 months with my salesperson at HHGregg, AND WITH SYNCHRONY customer service, this last item - the microwave, still HAS NOT been added as part of our original promotional package. We are PAYING interest on this microwave and our monthly payments have increased $25 per month! HHGregg indicates that every time they email the promotional change paperwork to your company, they get a return email message back saying YOUR EMAIL BOX IS FULL! I now have a copy of this HHGregg email and the message (email box is full) in my possession. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! What kind of company does business this way. Absurd! And, to top it off, every time I contact Synchrony I can't understand the person on the other end, and they have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to try and help me. What happened to using caring customer service people who actually speak unbroken ENGLISH? All they say is that they haven't received the appropriate paperwork. Imagine that! I'm so angry and frustrated at this point. I'm ready to get on social media every where AND contact the Better Business Bureau with my concerns. At this point, I have not other recourse - unless, of course, this form does some ACTUAL good - which I have serious doubts about. Please contact me ASAP at the phone number I have listed. This matter must be resolved soon - especially since HHGregg has filed bankruptcy and is, for all intent purposes, defunct!

Latest Articles on Help Center in Cards

How to Choose the Best Cards

The Most Common Types of Credit Cards

Aside from standard credit cards, there are several types of credit cards including:

• Cash back rewards cards
  • Hotel, travel and gas rewards cards
  • Secured credit cards
  • Business credit cards
  • Student credit cards

Cash Back Rewards Cards

Cash back rewards cards offer cash back on purchases made throughout the month. Most of these cards allow you to earn 1 to 5 percent back on eligible purchases. The best cash back cards offer a flat-rate on every purchase. Cash back rewards cards are an excellent choice for people who can pay off their balance every month because the cash earned won't be eaten away in interest rates.

Hotel, Travel and Gas Rewards Cards

This kind of rewards cards is a good choice for people who use credit cards and travel frequently. Instead of earning cash back, customers earn points for every dollar spent. You can redeem these points for airline tickets, hotel rooms, gas, or car rentals.

Secured Credit Cards

People who have little to no credit or bad credit score are good candidates for secured credit cards. Before they can be activated, these cards require a cash deposit that is usually between $200 - $500. Secured credit cards generally have a low limit but they are ideal for consumers who wish to build up the credit score.

Business Credit Cards

For business owners that spend a significant amount of money on business expenses each month, it might be worth applying for a business credit card. Some business credit cards offer lower interest rates than personal credit cards. Business credit cards also help business owners keep business and personal finances separate.

Student Credit Cards

Student credit cards are aimed at younger people who have little to no credit. These cards usually have limited credit score requirements as well as low minimum balances. If you're looking at applying for a student credit card, do some research because some companies trade low credit limits with high-interest rates.

How to Choose the Best Credit Card for You

You might have to do some homework before choosing a card that is right for you. Finding the right credit card can help you can get the most out of it.

Research Credit Card Reviews before You Commit

Your best tool for finding the best credit card is the research. There is a number of credit card review and consumer advocate websites that can help you narrow down your choices. In addition, you can find plenty of reviews about credit cards and companies on social media networks, forums, and blogs.

Know Your Credit Score

Your credit score determines what kind of credit card you can apply for and what terms are involved. Consumers with poor credit scores will generally pay higher interest rates. If you have a low credit score, it may be worth waiting until you can improve your score before applying for a credit card.

Annual Percentage Rate

Before signing up for any credit card, you should know the annual percentage rate, which is how much the creditor is charging you to borrow money. Creditors use your credit score, income, payment history and economic indicators to set this rate. It is important to understand how these fees work so that not to be surprised when your monthly bill arrives.

Will You Benefit From Any Rewards Offered?

Credit card companies use rewards to lure customers to apply for their cards, but in some cases, purchases must be related to the type of rewards being offered. Read the fine print to know if there are any stipulations regarding any type of rewards being offered. You may find that your spending won't generate much in terms of rewards.

Are You Willing to Pay an Annual Fee?

Credit card companies that charge an annual fee usually have features that make the fee worthwhile. Sometimes these features come in form of rewards, such as cash-back incentives, which could turn out to be greater than the cost of the yearly fee. Other cards with fees might offer membership benefits that could include discounts on purchases, hotel upgrades, or other perks.

If you find that you cannot earn a card's annual fee back in the certain type of reward, it may be best to go with a card charging lower fee or no fee at all.

Consider How You Spend Money

You shouldn't be tempted by sign-up offers from credit card companies if you won’t benefit from any of the card's perks. Likewise, don't let a good rewards plan to lure you into signing a contract. For example, if you don't travel very often, a travel rewards card would not benefit you no matter how good the rewards plan might be.

Consider How Many Credit Cards You Already Own

If you’re able to manage the credit card(s) you already own, you might benefit from another credit card by utilizing any rewards and perks it offers. Another advantage of owning more than one credit card could be to boost your credit score. Some people also find that having more than one card offers a sense of security should one card become lost or stolen.

Know Your Limits

If you’re not able to pay your current credit card balance, or if you struggle to pay bills every month, another credit card could lead to more debt in your future. Using credit cards can be tempting but remember you will have to pay back the money you borrowed sooner or later -- plus interest.

If you’ve decided that you want to apply for a credit card, one way to know if a card is the best for you is to read the contract, especially the fine print. Read credit card reviews and do your homework. Just like any other business, credit card companies are there to make money. Always be certain that you understand and can comply with the company’s terms of the agreement before choosing a credit card.