Your car is expensive and presumably you don’t want to waste money on extra service visits or having to buy a new car sooner than expected. It’s important to treat your car well and perform ongoing maintenance. Fortunately caring properly for your car isn’t challenging and will keep it in tip-top shape.

More details about Auto

• Day
  • Week
  • Month
Level of detail.
No reviews for this period.
Overall consumer trends

Compare Reviews for Auto

Show more Show

Popular Product Categories

Show more Show

Top Products and Services in Auto

Picked by Editorial Team

Consumers Opinions about Auto ?

I will outline the history of when I purchased my first RT Limited Spyder and why I changed it just after 12 months of riding it and what I lost in the changeover to the next model. I expect that we can come to an acceptable solution to this problem as soon as possible. At this point I believe my concerns have not been taken seriously by BRP… the dealer for the bike has been more than helpful all the way along and has also provided me a loan bike at no change while my bike was in the shop for an extended period of time being tested and fixed time and time again…Major Issue one with the RT Limited 2013 Model purchased June 2013.1. Aerial Broke off – Replaced no charge2. 16/10/2014 LH Side Pannier Cover Broken hinge – Replaced no charge3. Heat shielding added to prevent the bike from blowing up – Manufacturer recall – Fixed no charge.4. Heat Issue on right hand side of bike… the air was so hot on the right hand side of the bike and blow directly onto my right leg… it was so hot that you could almost cook and egg on my leg from the heat, so I had no choice but to upgrade the bike to the 2014 model and it looked like you had correct the heat issues. In the process of doing this I lost $15,000 plus in the changeover after just one year… I wasn’t happy about that but I was willing to wear the cost as I love riding the RT Limited Spyder almost as much as I love my wife…Major Issue Two with the RT Limited 2014 Model purchased June 20141. 16/10/2014 Aerial Broke off – Replaced no charge2. 11/3/2015 Hand brake not holding had to carry block of wood with me to ensure bike didn’t roll away from where I parked it each time – Replaced no charge3. 21/04/2015 Front end was hitting on ground constantly and unstable around corners so I had a sway bar and adjustable front end suspension fitted to fix this issue… not warranty related but I needed the bike to be more stable on the road due to me driving it every day.4. 11/01/2016 Replaced LH Side Headlight Bulb – Paid by me5. 15/02/2016 Replaced RH Side Headlight Bulb – Paid by me6. 11/04/2016 Both Front Discs and Break Pads completely shot and had to be replaced Bold also fell out of instrument panel and had to be replaced – Paid by Me7. 13/12/2016 Seat split apart on front near fuel tank and LH Hand grip broken – both replaced no charge8. 13/12/2016 Both headlight covers cloudy – Replaced no charge9. 20/12/2016 Front end is bouncing on road and gets worse as speed increases – Issue Still unresolved10. Also found out that the compressor that automatically adjusts the Air suspension was also failed – Still unresolved11. Hatch on back of bike was very week during the 12 months under warranty but stayed up most of them time… however as time progressed it is now at the point where I need a piece of wood to hold the door open so I can put items in the back without the door closing on my hand to avoid injury – Still unresolved.12. 21/01/2017 Rear wheel locking up. This had happened once of twice about 12 months ago but I didn’t think much of it at the time as it didn’t happen again until now. It happened once when I was breaking at a set of lights and once around a corner in the wet… I was very luck that I was in front of the traffic and was able to get away first. If I was in the traffic when the back wheel locked up… 100% my daughter and I would have been injured or killed in the accident. I had taken off as normal from the lights and as I accelerated the back wheel locked up and span the bike 180% into oncoming traffic. I was fare enough away for the oncoming vehicles to see my and they where able to stop just in time without hitting us or each other but it was very close to me a major accident with multiple vehicles. If this accident had occurred with injury or damage you would communicating with my lawyers right now… it hasn’t gotten to that point yet…13. Since the first time the bike started locking up the back wheel has locked up 30 times in 30 corners…to the point where the bike shop wouldn’t let me ride the bike because it was unsafe to be on the road. – Paid by meIt has now gotten to the point that I am unwilling to put my children on the back of my bike due to the fear that I might kill them. I personally don’t feel safe on this bike any longer. There are still unresolved issues at this point that I am no longer will to spend more money on just to wait for the next major issue to happen… when you spend $41,000 on a new top of the range bike to have to change it because it’s burning your leg to the point you have to wear fire proof clothing is an issue and then loose over $15,000 to upgrade to the new model to fix one issue to only find the problems have multiplied 10 fold and are still ongoing is unacceptable. Worst of all you company is not taking these issues seriously… which has upset me more than anything.How are you going to resolve this issues before it becomes a legal matter… I have already contacted my lawyers and done a affidavit that in the event of my death on the RT Limited Spyder, that they conduct a full investigation in to the cause of death… I have also provided them the entire history and a copy of this letter incase this matter needs to progress to legal representation. I hope it doesn’t have to go that fare but time will tell.I really did love riding my RT Limited but don’t feel safe on this bike… I do believe the problems are specific to my bike only at this point… it's very clear that BRP just don't care about their customers safety...I can understand a few issues as nothing is perfect but this is now beyond a joke and there are still more pending issues that are unresolved and I believe more problems to come.In sort if you want to die early in life ... just purchase a BRP Product and all your wishes will come true...
We have a 2016 Dutchman Areolite and lost an entire wheel after putting on the spare tire due to defective tires also. (10 months out of warranty with less than 4000 miles on them) The wheel came completely off and sheared off the lug nuts too. Roadside assistance ($480.00 later plus having to replace all the tires, all 5 at $700.00 and the trailer damage) said that it was the wrong wheel for the hub. We have aluminum wheels with a steel spare. Dutchman refuses to let me speak to a supervisor, Lionshead who sells the wheel and tires to Dutchman says we did not torque the tire properly even though we used a torque wrench to specification per the manual. WE had to change two of the tires due to defective tires and the other wheel had no problem, but it was the aluminum wheel as we only had one steel spare. Plus we have changed many tires over our lifetime and NEVER had a problem. I have shown this steel wheel, hub and tire to five different tire experts and they ALL say that it did not seat properly due to it not fitting the hub correctly as it is the wrong wheel for a spare to be put on that hub. In fact I was told no mater how it was torqued the tire it would have never seated correctly as it did not have full contact with the hub due to wheel design, please note the indentation on the steel spare. WHAT...I said? Dutchman and Lionshead refuse to warranty or help us repair the damage this did to our trailer which is normal for these big companies to not admit fault. Seems to be the way it is anymore, no honesty or responsibility. So if anyone else looses a wheel when using the steel spare I would like to know. Pics attached and i have more Please tell me what you think. PLEASE HELP I want to try and make sure that another trailer does not inflict the pain and suffering we had had over this, Plus we are alive and I would hate to see someone injured or killed over this. We almost lost our trailer and we are full-timers and retired with low income. Another issue was the main door on this rig was installed wrong. We tried to get it fixed and could not wait for them to order the door as we had to get home due to hubby's mom sick and dying. Later after she died, we finally were able to get it back into the shop. Dutchman said to bad your several months out of warranty. THEY KNEW THIS WAS DEFECTIVE WHEN WE BOUGHT IT and said they would repair. SO if you see a problem DO NOT BUY A DUTCHMAN
Don’t believe Mercedes Benz (MB) when they say on their commercial “[Mercedes Benz] is not about doing one thing well, but about doing everything well.” I received a letter from MB corporate in March of 2017 (it is now October of 2017) which states on the outside of the envelope, in large, bold, red and capital letters “SAFETY RECALL NOTICE” and “IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION.” The envelope also said “Issued in Accordance with Federal Law.” MB’s handling of what is now 7 month old URGENT letter shows that they are not handling this debacle well, which in turn proves they do not do EVERYTHING WELL. I am now asking myself what else are they lying about (they lied about handling EVERYTHING WELL) to me and all of their other customers and potential customers. When I spoke with Randy, a manager in MB’s corporate office in Atlanta (770-705-0600 x4647), all I heard were excuses for why they have been unable to secure the needed parts to comply with the recall. Usually when a company states that they do EVERYTHING WELL that doesn’t include making excuses for not performing IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL product replacements, at least that has not been my experience. My issue is not insignificant. It involves a safety feature that became law in 1998. (“On September 1, 1998, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 finally goes into effect. The law required that all cars and light trucks sold in the United States have air bags on both sides of the front seat.”) MB is not following through on a replacement part that has been a legal requirement for cars sold in the United States for almost 20 years. Does this sound like the actions of a company who says: “Mercedes Benz is not about doing one thing well, but about doing everything well?” Does it sound like a company that is concerned about the safety and welfare of their customers? 2012 Mercedes Benz C250

Our Clients in Auto Category

MaLinA

Latest Articles on Help Center in Auto

Car Care Tips You Should Know to Improve the Life of Your Vehicle

Drive with Lights On

Many cars now come with daytime running lights, but if your does not, turn on your lights. Driving with your lights on can reduce your risk of accidents and keep you visible even in poor weather.

Don’t Ride the Clutch

If your car is a standard, don’t keep the clutch engaged as you anticipate shifts and stops. Treat your clutch as an expensive part of your vehicle that needs to be used as sparingly as possible.

Left, Right, Left Again

Almost half of car accidents happen at intersections. Before you turn or go, look left and then right. Then glance left again. Don’t forget to look for pedestrians and bike riders as well as oncoming vehicles.

Rest Your Engine

Shift your engine into neutral at traffic lights. This reduces the amount of heat generated, can improve gas mileage slightly and gives your engine a bit of a break.

Replace Wipers

You should be replacing your windshield wipers every few months. Consider adding a rainproof coating to your windshield to minimize the work of the wipers and improve visibility.

Close Your Windows

While driving with the windows down at a low rate of speed can lower fuel consumption, leaving them down as you drive faster lowers gas mileage because of the additional drag created. Roll up the windows and recirculate your air conditioning.

Defrost with Your Air Conditioner

Run air conditioning while you defrost your windshield. The A/C will remove moisture from the air and help remove frost or condensation faster. Remember that you can turn the temperature up on the A/C if you’re cold.

Use the Car Wash

Washing your car at home may seem cheaper, but you’re using up to 20 times more water than you would in a professional car wash. You’re also more likely to leave scratches in your paint.

Remove Distractions

Your hands follow your eyes on the road. That means looking at the radio or your phone can take your eyes off the road for long stretches of time and your hands will likely steer your car the direction of your eyes. So put phones away and find a good playlist before you even start the car.

Avoid Changing Lanes

The center lane on a busy freeway is the safest. Every time you change lanes you increase your risk of a collision, so get as close to center and possible and stay there.

Use Your Cruise Control

When you’re on a long drive, turn on your cruise control. It will reduce fuel consumption, increase gas mileage and give your right foot a break. Just don’t use cruise control in the rain for safety reasons.

Replace Your Oil Filter

You should replacing your oil filter every time you replace your oil. The filter is keeping dirt and particles as small as 10 microns, and you want to keep your new oil clean.

Clean and Moisturize

Cleaning and moisturizing your interior will extend the life of the car. Clean leather seats and moisturize them up to four times annually. Stick to leather products and avoid poorly reviewed cleaners as they may do more harm than good.

Keep Your Tank Full

The fuller your gas tank is, especially in the winter, the better for your car. In the winter months, the empty space in your tank can develop condensation which may settle into your gas tank and cause engine troubles.

Use Heat to Fight Overheating

If your car engine is getting too hot, turn on the heater. You’ll probably want to open the windows, but turning on the heater will draw heat away from the engine.

Fill a Spreading Crack

If your windshield gets a ding, take it to a glass shop to be filled. Once filled with resin, the crack shouldn’t spread and require a $200-$500 replacement windshield. Usually your insurance will waive a deductible and cover the repair as well.

How to Make a Car Environmentally Friendly

While it might be nice to buy the latest Tesla, expensive electric cars just aren’t in the budget for most of us. Fortunately, there are ways to improve the carbon footprint of your current car without spending a small fortune.

Drive Wisely

Your driving can do more damage than your car if you’re not driving wisely. Driving aggressively, rapid acceleration and idling your engine all burns unnecessary fuel – a great deal of it. Maintain a steady pace on the most direct pathway to your destination. If you’re going longer distances, use cruise control to help maintain speed and minimize fuel consumption.

Don’t Top Off

If you regularly top off your tank, you may be harming your gas tank and causing environmental concerns. Modern cars have an emissions canister that prevents fuel vapors from leaking into the environment. Topping off damages that canister and can even destroy it. Topping off can also lead to spilled fuel, which evaporates into the atmosphere as well.

Keep Emissions in Check

Modern cars have an emissions system to clean and minimize exhaust fumes. If something in the system goes wrong, greenhouse gases multiply. You can check for issues, however, by being sure you always take your car in to be serviced when the check engine light comes on. This is the first sign that something may be amiss in your emissions system.

Remove Extra Weight

The more your car weighs, the more fuel it uses. So remove all of the unnecessary stuff that may be traveling around with you in the vehicle. This is true on trips as well – bring what is necessary, but leave heavy optional items at home.

Turn Off Your Air Conditioning

Air conditioning is a luxury that begins to feel like a necessity in the heat of the summer. It may be hard to turn off your air conditioning on a hot afternoon in July, but consider running just a vent or opening the windows on the cooler mornings and evenings and during the times when you don’t strictly need the A/C to avoid overheating. Using your air conditioning increases the strain on your electrical system and engine, which requires burning more fuel.

Maintain Your Radiator

Engines have an ideal temperature and the radiator and cooling system maintain that ideal. If the temperature runs as less than ideal, it can lead to reduced efficiency and excess emissions. If your engine runs hot, it can lead to overheating. Keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge in your vehicle and if it is anywhere but dead center, take your car in for radiator maintenance.

Fill Up Your Tires

One of the easiest things you can do to improve fuel economy and therefore be greener is to fill up your tires to the correct tire pressure. Underinflated tires require the engine to work harder, causing excess fuel burn. Keeping your tires filled properly also improves the life of your tires, delaying new purchases and reducing the amount of old tires in landfills.

11 Tips for Buying a Used Car

Buying a used car is smart financially, but it can be a bit of a treasure hunt as well. Brand new cars can lose as much as 20 percent of their value the moment you take possession, so buying used is more cost effective – if you buy a vehicle that won’t cost you more down the road.

The trick is finding a used car that fits your needs, fits your budget and also will need limited maintenance. This is where the hunting for treasure comes in. Fortunately, there is not a single prize out there. Instead, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cars that will fit your needs. It’s just a matter of searching wisely.

1. Know What You Need

It’s easy to get lost on your wants when you’re buying a car, but it is more important to focus on your needs. Adequate seating, safety and trouble-free maintenance all rank a bit higher in importance than a cherry red exterior.

2. Anticipate Emotional Decisions

When you step onto the car lot, it’s common to succumb to emotional decision-making. Your eyes skip right over the practical minivan and land on the muscle car or off-road vehicle that costs twice as much and aren’t right for you or your family.

What sounds like great deals, shiny paint and a few teenage dreams can make car-buying tricky, so anticipate the problem ahead of time. Consider bringing a buying partner to help keep you on track.

3. Arrange Financing Ahead of Time

Before you even walk on to the car lot, you should know what the bank will loan you and at what interest rate.

Having the funds ready to go will make the process smoother if you’re buying from a private party. If you’re buying from a dealership, the dealership can try and beat the financing deal you already have, but you’re set either way.

4. Watch Your Budget

Having a loan isn’t always the same as knowing what you can afford to purchase. Again, before any emotions come into play, check your savings and your budget to know what you can put down for a down payment, what you can afford to pay in cash and what you can comfortably afford as a monthly payment. Don’t forget to include insurance payments, fuel and maintenance as part of the ongoing costs of car ownership.

5. Negotiate a Cash Price

If you’ve already arranged a loan or you’re actually paying in cash, you’re a cash buyer and you should only be concerned about the price of the car.

Dealers like to negotiate based on monthly payment because they can hide more profit and cost in the payments. You should stick to your guns and worry only about the price of the car, and using cash should help you negotiate that price even lower.

6. Do Your Car Research

Do you know which cars are the most reliable? Do you know which retain value or have the best warranties? You should. Research reliability, value, warranties and read reviews on the types of cars you’re considering.

This is a large purchase, and knowing what experts and other owners say is valuable information to have. Consider a list of the cars you’ve researched carefully to use as a guide when actually shopping.

7. Check Car Resale Values

There are several websites that will show you the price range you should expect to pay for a new car. With your researched list of cars, pull up those values ahead of time and make some notes. Dealers will try and maximize profits – you should go in armed with information about what is reasonable to pay a private party or dealer.

8. Expect Negotiations

Car dealerships are in the business of making money. That means they are going to try and make you pay as much as possible. You are trying to pay as little as possible. After researching a fair price for the vehicle, start negotiations with a low offer in the reasonable range. Increase your acceptable price in small amounts under $300 until you find a common ground.

Remember that salesmen are professionals in this area and will use every trick in the book (and out of it) to get the best deal for them. Work slowly and carefully to avoid getting confused or falling into an expensive agreement before you’re ready.

9. Look at Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

You can expect to pay more, but a certified pre-owned vehicle has been rigorously inspected, reconditioned and assured by the dealership. Buying a CPO is as close to new as you can get, but you won’t get hit with the instant depreciation as you drive off.

10. Use a Vehicle History Report

The Vehicle Identification Number, of VIN, can be used to find out the history of a vehicle you’re considering. A vehicle history report will spot things like previous flooding, hail damage, major collisions and other potential problems that may cause trouble down the road.

11. Get an Expert Opinion

As a mechanic to come with you to the dealership or bring your used car to the mechanic to check it out during an approved grace period. An experienced mechanic will help you identify previous damage, find items that need repair and check for an overall condition of the vehicle.

Buying a new or new-to-you car is exciting, but is also a prime opportunity to pay more than you want for a car that is less than you want. Approach the situation as a major investment – which it is – and you’ll be much more likely to come out ahead.