Canoochee EMC keeping my deposit for 30 days, paying no interest

When I signed up for service with Canoochee EMC in Reidsville, GA, I was required to put up a $285 deposit and $15 membership fee. Now that I have moved and my service voluntarily terminated, they are keeping my deposit, minus my final utility bill, for a total of $193, for 29 days. They claim they can only do refunds once a month and I just missed the cutoff. They are paying me no interest. Because they are an EMC, they are not regulated by the Public Service Commission. This reminds me of the old days when the telephone companies could do whatever they wanted to the public. Well, now the public has a choice and the telephone companies are a lot nicer. Maybe soon this will happen to the other utility companies so that consumers have a choice.
ID
Savannah, Georgia

About

Canoochee EMC Privacy Policy
To read more: https://www.canoocheeemc.com/content/privacy-statement
Summary

Canoochee EMC is a member of Oglethorpe Power Corporation, Georgia Transmission Corporation, and Georgia Systems Operations Corp transmission system connected to either wholly or jointly owned generation plants. Canoochee EMC has three different office locations in Reidsville, GA, Hinesville, GA and Pembroke, GA. The electricity is provided by the company to the member citizens on the basis of individual accounts. To set up a new account a consumer must visit his or her local branch office. A picture ID, social security number, meter number and/or 911 address of property are necessary to open an account. The late payment fee is applied if the payment has not been received within approximately two working days before the next meter reading date. Both individual and commercial accounts are available.

Canoochee EMC reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article