Canadian International School of Hong Kong - Unethical Behaviour

My children attended the above school for some years. After being initially very satisfied, we were very dissappointed to witness the precipitous decline in both the educational standards and the professional and ethical standards of the teaching staff. Some of the observed incidents include the screening of sexually explicit (R rated) movies to grade 7 students in order to "expose them to the French Culture", the intentional and systemic belittling of students for having the nerve to express views different than those of the teacher and steady erosion of the targeted sylabus material due to the teachers taking too much personal time off to enable them to keep pace. Perhaps more worrysome is the erosion in the basic moral fabric of both the student body and the professional staff. For the students, this erosion is due primarily to the combination of a lack of any meaningful program to socialize the student body and instill any rudementary form of civics education as well as the extremely poor role model set by the faculty. The faculty's moral lapses are both obvious and pervasive. They regularly demonstate a willingness and aptitude to skew the truth to present themselves in a better light and coverup their own errors and oversights (when I was at school, we just called this lying). Further, while I have not seen their interaction with students reach a level of behaviour which would be considered sanctionable, it is tending towards that direction, with some of the children clearly showing discomfort with the attention given to them by some of the teachers. All in all, I am just shocked that a well respected institution could deteriorate to this extent in such a short period of time and that no one seems to be interested in intervening to stop this decay.

on9

For whom it may concern,

A single reception lady is not a representation of the whole school. We have a wonderful reputation regarding our academic standards. We are an IB school, you have no idea how hard it is to study IB. Why don't you give it a try.

Furthermore R rated material is not necessarily bad for a student. It may actually benefit them instead of harming them. One needs to learn and be exposed to something other than the perfect little bubble they live in everyday. Drivers everywhere, iphone, ipods at the age of 7. Being exposed to this type of material in a controlled environment can prevent them from taking the wrong path. Introduction of these material are for the sole purpose to educate and provide counter examples for things one shouldn't do, and not encourage these kind of behavior. Would you rather your child be exposed to R rated material in a school environment or by their friends?

And before you start whining and complaining about how our school is so ridiculous in every way, have you done enough research?! Have you compared our school to any other international schools? I don't think so, because if you have done the slightest research you might find that other school have drug problems and cheating issues, which is far worse than EDUCATING using a special method.

For whom it may concern,

Hi, please allow me to revise my previous post

I am a father who has been very interested in having my child admitted to CDNIS, yes, CDNIS given their amazing reputation. My son was interviewed for reception some weeks ago and I was astonished with the extraordinary manners and behavior of the personnel there. Maybe you just need to be used to be shouted out to find it acceptable but the head of admissions was speaking nicely with a subtle tone at the parents ' May all the parents please sit down' while the children were interviewed. Neither a demand not a order, but a please came out of her mouth. I am sure I want my kid to have that type of behavior because it is the role model for world leaders. This school is incredible and amazing, and basks in the awesomeness generated from its pupils and staff.

Hi,

I am a mother who has been very interested in having my child admitted to CISHK given their good reputation. My son was interviewed for reception some weeks ago and I was astonished with the awful manners and behavior of the personnel there.

Maybe you just need to be used to be shouted out to find it acceptable but the head of admissions was shouting at the parents ' I want all the parents sitting down' while the kids were interviewed.

Neither a 'please' not a 'could you' came out of her mouth. I am not sure I want my kid to have that type of behavior as acceptable.

Moral education? Is this the 19th Century?

What R rated film did your kids watch in French?

That would give readers a better idea of how reasonable you are in your assessment. If it's Jean de Florette or Manon des Sources, that's a lot different than watching Nightmare on Elm Street.

HKG Parent, where do your kids study now?

I understand your concern. I am a graduate of CDNIS and I feel that the school is worst now when I was still a student.

But school starts and ends too early, there is not enough time to conduct both knowledge and moral education. Therefore, the adults chose knowledge over moral.. which is the result of the total unacceptable behaviors of the over confident children of now. They are taught that they are the better and successful bunch, spoiled and no one really dare discipline the children.

Yet this could also be the parents' fault of overprotecting and spoiling their own children.

Teachers turn the blind eye because they gave up already. When I visited earlier, I witnessed teachers were treated without respect, there is a difference between getting along with the students and becoming their friend.

View more comments (7)
ID
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article