Landlord Will Not Return Security Deposit

My room-mates and I resided at an apartment managed by Cal-Prop Management Inc. from January to June 2010. After that period we vacated and return to Boston, MA where we go to school. By California Civil Code Section 1950, within 21 days of the tenant vacating, the deposit or an itemized report must be delivered to the tenants. After 21 days I had received nothing in the mail and called the company. At that point a letter was mailed to me - AFTER 21 days. When the letter arrived I did not get my deposit, but a report charging me for "removed items" - including a flat screen TV and wall mount. These items were not removed by my roommates or myself. I sent a letter addressing my concerns to the company, asking for a response within 5 business days. After 5 business days of signing for the letter (I have proof from the USPS via certified mail), I had received no response. I had to call several times before my phone call was finally returned. This matter isn't progressing anywhere positive. This company is withholding my deposit based on false claims, and by not sending me a report within 21 days, is in violation of the California Civil Code.
ID
#195718 Review #195718 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article