Buyer Beware

Did not protect existing concrete and landscaping; "not in his contract". 2. His new roof leaked. He stated he was not responsible for the subcontractor he hired. I had it fixed by others at additional cost. 3. Damaged our existing adjacent pergola. I had a reputable contractor fix. 4. He insisted on full payment less $1000 when only approximately 50% of the total work was completed. We agreed to go our separate ways and I had a reputable contractor complete our sunroom. I have been working in heavy construction and commercial construction for over 40 years and never has a contractor been paid upfront for work not yet performed. 5. Robert Talley, the owner, was very over bearing and obstinate to work with after the contract was signed. We never had a chance to vet all but 1 of his subcontractors that he hired. They would just show up and work. Your review stars gave him high marks, too bad we didn't read the scathing remarks enclosed, but not shown readily of how incompetent he performed before we hired him. He would never give us a breakdown of his subcontractor costs even though requested numerous times. When it appeared that our costs would far exceed his original estimate, we parted ways.
Service
Builders Corporation Porch Installation
Reason of review
Bad quality
I hired Mr. Talley/Builders Corporation to build an addition on my home so that I could move my 82 year old mother from Baltimore to Virginia, to avoid having to be put in a nursing home. My sister got a 2nd mortgage on her home to build the addition. Hiring Mr....

Sometimes people just want to cause problems with companies. They want to upgrade and/or change everything in a contract. They sure don't want to pay the extra costs they cause.

View more comments
Reason of review
Problems with payment

Builders Corporation Addition Building Review from Norfolk, Virginia

Robert Talley, owner of Builders Corporation is a dishonest, unethical, thief. We hired him to put an addition on our home, and it was a nightmare from the beginning. He refused to give us an estimated work schedule, when we requested an estimate of costs for materials and subcontractors, he gave us a handwritten, incomplete, list written on a page from a yellow legal pad. His estimate of costs was off by $15,000.00. He demanded payment for work that was not done. We have been forced to hire another contractor to finish his shoddy work. We are also paying for an attorney to sue Mr. Talley. He is a ***-man. Nothing is ever his fault. Do yourself a favor and avoid this piece of work at all costs!!!!

You always get someone from. Public that is impossible to work with.

This person fell into this category at the top of the list? ?

There is not one business that has not had false and libeling statements put out there. The best place to get a true andfair rating is your local Better Business Bureau.

If a complaint is made the contractor is notified and all parties are expected to find a solution. The BBB will mediate if no solution is reached. If the contractor does not cooperate and/or is in the wrong they can and will lose their membership.

This is the sign of a bad contractor. Not some anonymous review that can't be proven.

@PissedConsumer1132674

In hind sight, the Better Business is just one resource. They do not evaluate the quality of a business' work and remember that people have to file a complaint, whether good or bad.

Most of the rating is based on the years of experience of a company. Yes they will mediate an issue, but consumers need to file. People often avoid complaints that will drag out or they have busy live and do not want to file a complaint. The first sign of a bad contractor is his contract!

If the contract requires you to only appear in the city in which he lives AND pay all of his lawyer/court fees, this should be a red flag(per our lawyer). This typically indicates that the contractor has had previous issues.

A standard contract does not contain such statement. Moving forward with any future work, I would personally call previous customers good AND bad reviews.

He is definitely a piece of work! His excuses are forever changing and can often times be conflicting.

I am so tired of his line-what was suppose to be an exciting time has turned into a nightmare! Not sure what you can believe-maybe the stress of his wife's terminal illness(she was in the hospital for a week in August and we were told that she needs a lung transplant ASAP-she was only given months) has taken a toll on him mentally.

Just avoid Robert Talley, Builders' Corporation at all cost! Spend the money on an architect for a real drawing!

#1042046

Besides getting a lawyer, are you going to file complaints with other agencies(BBB, Virginia Board of Contractors). There are few complaints about him-I would think that the more agencies you voice your complaint with, the deeper you will dig into his pockets. Please keep us posted.

View more comments (4)

****BEWARE OF BUILDERS CORP.****

Builders Corporation, Robert Talley, PLEASE! PLEASE! check the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation; and the court system BEFORE contracting with this company. He was hired to perform some construction work on my property. His contract stated the job would be completed in 180 days. 365 days later the project is still incomplete. He puts on a happy face until he gets your money, and after that don't expect to hear from him for at least three months. His catch line is "I can do the job cheaper and better than anyone else". DON'T BE FOOLED! His phone voice mailbox is ALWAYS FULL and he does not return calls timely. If you think I am kidding, just go online under va courts and it will become very clear what type of contractor this is. Combined in all of the cities he has a total of 138 court cases against Builders Corporation/Robert Talley. This contractor was never on site to oversee the project and there were several defects and errors made because of it. Oh, but don't worry, he won't own up to any of them. "It's not my fault" is the second line that you will always hear. He will over order materials needed; and order materials that are not needed. When the materials are delivered they will sit for months before they are installed. I could provide a laundry list of issues with the contractor. Just check the websites and that should be enough. Bottom line, if you want an honest, fair, and reasonable contractor, this is not the one for you. Please keep looking. This is to spare anyone else of the heart ache and pain that I had to endure with the contractor.
#1999177

2019 Same MO. Wish we had investigate sooner. It took us 6 months of his BS to wise up and realize that this guy is a real con artist.

We know your pain. We hired him also.

Wish we had seen this review before.

Everything you have said he has done with us. We have a project that is not complete either and of course done wrong.Very upset with Robert Talley.

There is more than one robert talley. Most cases was for robert talley with rental property.

I know when working with the public there is always a consumer that will never be happy and will try to cause problems.

It is unfortunate that this happens to so many companies.

Consumers write anonymously to put unfair and false reviews about businesses. As an avid news watcher, I have seen quite a few suits being filed against consumers and their false, vindictive, libeling statements.

The businesses are winning these cases more than ever. All businesses should consider taking action against any consumer that is just trying to irreparably harm a business.

Robert Talley did the same thing to me. He has been a nightmare to deal with.

He is dishonest, unethical, and a liar. As you said, it's never his fault. I have seen several complaints about this man on the internet.

Robert Talley should not have a contractors license. He needs to go down.

Robert Talley added a master suite and sunroom to my home. Beautiful job. Extremely happy with the work.

View more comments (5)
Norfolk, Virginia

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article