Island Recreational - Pool Installation Review from Fresno, California

Wish I would have read these reviews before buying a pool from Island Rec. We purchased a pool 3/2013 and what a disaster right from the beginning. Long story short their surveyor tells us to buy the wrong bricks, fails to tell us about a digging out fee being that we had an existing pool. When their installers come to install he tells us it's an additional $500, we call and are told that's the price. Their installer tells us it's not a great pool but will do, should have listened to him. The end of 2014 the pool is rusted and we're told we need to contact the manufacturer that IR isn't responsible. I contacted the manufacturer and they will send us a new pool wall we have to pay the $300 shipping, called IR about replacing the pool wall and I was told it wouldn't be until the end of July and I need a new liner and would have to pay take down and reinstall fee which all in all is about $900-1000. Now this what I call good customer service - NOT. To by business to a more repreable pool company with better customer service.
ID
#622002 Review #622002 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Fresno, California
Problems with payment

Sun Pools of East Tennessee - Horrible Pool installation, had to be entirely re-done

Sun Pools of East TN no longer operates from Jefferson City. Keith Lanphear now operates out of Dandridge, TN. If you want a substandard product, at exorbitant prices, by all means use him. Otherwise, do your homework and select a reputable builder. Don't check him out by his company name... Google Keith Lester Lanphear (in Florida). You'll be surprised what comes up. Don't get caught like we did with a terrible installation that ran way over budget. He'll try to squeeze every penny out of you. Every aspect of the installation was wrong (terrible concrete job, hollow spots under the fiberglass pool, pool not level, no permits pulled, improper grounding, improper electrical installation, no electrical permit, terrible grade work). When he installed our pool, he didn't even have a valid contractor's license (even though he implied he did). I guess this explains why no permits were pulled (he said we didn’t need any). We hired a great contractor to do the installation for a second time, so our $39K project (which was quoted at $32K) ended up costing us well over $50K. This included ripping out the concrete (no problem he stained it permanently with when he tried to clean concrete from our coping with acid and a crowbar and it dropped 3" over 3 ft.), re-grading the entire installation site and re-setting the pool. Yes I spoke with him and notified him of the problems he left us with, but he argued every point. No, I didn't give him a chance to correct his errors, they were too numerous and I don’t want him anywhere close to my property because he's totally clueless. The man doesn't even own a Bobcat for a final grade. He ran over my fence and gate with his track *** (pulling the concrete truck off my septic lines), and when he was leaving I asked him what he was going to do about the fence... His answer "Send me the bill". Don’t be another victim of this rip off artist!
Knoxville, Tennessee

Cal Pools Swimming Pool Installation Review from Delta, Ohio

Bought our pool from Cal. We previously had an above ground pool for 22 years and only replaced the liner once. We've had this pool only 3 years & the liner got *** in it. We r both above 60 & have rarely used the pool. Decided to go somewhere else for a liner. Another company came & said our pool was completely installed wrong & the same thing would happen again in 3 years. We r highly dissatisfied. Besides when the liner was installed it was lumpy under our feet. The man who installed it did not put the steps in or install the pool pump. All he did was put the liner in & leave. My husband called & he said he was too busy to come back. So my husband put the steps in & installed the pump. Poor quality of work. I would never recommend them for anything ever!!!!
Delta, Ohio
Cal Pools Swimming Pool Installation

Island Recreational Swimming Pool Installation Review from Centereach, New York

We have had nothing but problems since we ordered our pool 3 Yrs ago delivery came early which ruined the suprise for our kids . Not everything that came with our package arrived it was on back order so they threw in a solar cover and a vacuum because we were so unhappy with the service and added expense that was never told to us like the clearing the spot the pool would be going & sand ,then the pump we were suppose to have was the wrong one they had to lend us a temporary one. Last year was our first open pool was green so besides all the extra chemicals the told us we needed to put in & run the pool 24/7 we wound up hiring a pool company to clear the pool which we were already 1 month into the pool season not being able to use it & dumping $ into it the pool was finally cleared but to no eval the pump *** out & we brought the whole system back to our Medford location with a lot of arguing they replaced the whole filter pump system . This year when we opened the pool we had no problems everything clear & because we had just opened it was running for 2 days straight to get the necessary chemicals circulating I went out to check on the pool before work & it wasn't running so here we go again . My husband to took the whole system down to the Medford location & he was told he had to bring it the the massapequa location which is 40 min away so he takes it there and was told to leave it there b/c they don't know when they will get to look at it he explained how far we live & if the pool doesn't run we will have the same problem as last year that didn't matter to them they wouldn't lone us another one . No sooner does he get home they call saying it was looked at it was broken & he needed to come back to pick up a piece of paper to bring to our local island recreation , he asked it they can fax the paper to them or fax it to my job so he didn't have to drive out but they said no, not mentioning they were only replacing the pump not the filter which they also had at there store . I called them on my lunch break Friday explaining my daughter had a talent show and I wouldn't have enough time to drive out if they could please contact my island recreation of the pump being replaced they said ok when I got to my store in Medford they had no record but called & confirmed I said that I needed not just the pump but the whole thing b/c it was all together in the massapequa store they said I needed to go back & pick it up b/c they weren't replacing it ugh so we went to the talent show & I saw I had an hr before the store was closing drove the 40 min out starving kids & friends to find out the warehouse that had my filter was closed!! I beg & pleaded with them explaining my situation again & I was told sorry nothing they could do come back tomorrow ! A no win situation for me waiting my gas , tired hungry kids I'm angry & frustrated and if it wasn't for the fact that they have to replace the pump for nothing I will never deal with this company again !!
Zollie

Hello- Thank you for the review. If an effort to better our customer service standards we ask for additional information to validate your review.

Please contact us at 516-520-1860 or via email at info@islandrecreational.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Centereach, New York
Island Recreational Swimming Pool Installation
Poor customer service

AAM Pool Company - Aam Company Above Ground Pool Installation Review from Houston, Texas

3.4
Hello my name is Alan Gordon. I also had them put in an above ground pool. Very dissatisfied to say the least. Mark promised me a level pool. Well after draining it 3times and having rhem fix it. What a joke! It is still unlevel rhe whole back side keeps poping out of rhe track. And i have 2 sharp objects starting to pop thru the new liner. On top of that after back washing the pool today.... The valule would not close properly on the filter. Come to find out... They left a roll of pipe tape in the filter. A whole roll of tape!!! Talk about unprofessional!!! My wife called mark last week he said he would call back and never did. So i called him today and left a message. If he does not fix these problems i will bw taking him to court. And i have plenty of pics as well to back these statements. This pool has never been right since it was installed and i feel ripped off!
Houston, Texas

The Pool Guyz - Pool Installation Review from Virginia Beach, Virginia

3.0
The pool Guyz installed a pool in May 2014. The contract said the work would take approximately 30 days. The work took over four months. They claim it is not their fault the patio/paver guys took so long. The sales person informed me, when he sold me the pool, that they had paver guys on staff. This is not true. They subcontract out. Then the Pool Guyz take 10% of the paver cost for doing nothing and holding no responsibility for the paver work. In fact this was the first time they had even hired this company. Then the paver guys didn't even have an employee that could install paver pool coping. They ended up subcontractoring my brick guy to do the work. So I paid top dollar to get a subcontractor of a subcontractor. I could have hired the coping guy myself and saved 50% on the paver work. Now nine months later the pool has still not had the final city inspection. I have paid $50,000 cash for a pool and patio that I cannot legally use. They have ignore numerous attempts for myself and my lawyer to resolve this issue. I'm out $1000 in legal fees already and have lost an entire season of use of the pool and a year of the equipment warranty. My family sure would love to use the pool they were promised last year.

We are surprised as to the scope of your claim. It appears there were several misunderstandings in your mention of our subcontractors.

For your pavers, we contracted a company that we have done significant quantities of business with, and they are very experienced with doing pavers.

As for your mention of starting the job 2 weeks late, my paperwork shows the contract was to start the 12th of May and completed by the 12th of June, your completion date according to your post is May 16th 2014, and my install checklist that was signed by Mr "anonymous" on May 18th 2014 when the pool and rough grade was finished, before the pavers were installed. The delays in the pavers appear to have been caused by multiple additions to the job, and use of special order pavers.

As for the final inspection, we made attempts to complete the inspection, including a recommendation by the city inspector, and other suggestions by our company to rectify some minor drainage related issues that do not affect the usability of your pool. Your pool was cleaned on multiple occasions and serviced by Arnold, and at that point we were told everything was acceptable and you and your family were using your pool.

We had no reason to believe you had not completed the required step to complete your inspection, as it appeared you had all fencing in place and even your slide was installed, functional and being used.

We strive to make sure that our customers get their pools completed as quickly as possible. Please contact us, as we would like to make sure this is taken care of as quickly as possible. We look forward to hearing from you, very soon.

Thank you.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Order processing issue
Anthony Sylvan's reply to:

Anthony Sylvan - TERRIBLE

Hello Colleen,Thank you for taking the time to speak with me, and bringing these concerns to our attention. Per our previous conversation, we remain committed to working towards a positive resolution.Sincerely,OwenCustomer Care
ID
#1925226 Review #1925226 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Cons
  • Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Verified Reviewer
Everything they did had an issue. It has been almost a year and the issues are still not corrected. We have consistently emailed and provided photos from day 1 and they still refuse to correct the issues. The customer service is horrific, the quality is horrific. They couldn't even install a diving board correctly, which is probably the easiest part of the pool installation process. Stay away, you won't get what you pay for. Check reviews on BBB and Google, most are not good. Also there is a ruling from a complaint with the Attorney General in New Jersey that can be searched on Google and read. It seems to be all the same complaints over and over and they just continue to ignore them.

User's recommendation: STAY AWAY.

Service Magic - Servicemagic Sucks

Servicemagic does not credit leads they are supposed to credit. You never get a replacement lead or receive credit back on your card. They are a complete scam. When I would submit a credit request for a lead they always deny it. For example, a customer submits a lead for an inground pool installation and build. Yet, when I call the customer, they tell me they need a repair and already have a pool. I did not sign up for repair leads only new installs. They charged me $38 for a lead that wasn't correct. Please use someone else for leads. It is cheaper to advertise yourself then to pay Servicemagic for useless leads and fight them over credits you should receive. They are supposed to be standing up for homeowner, yet Servicemagic screws the contractors.

I used Service Garbage for about 2 weeks, they charge for every lead they give, no matter how bad. I was getting hairbrained housewifes calling about rearranging furniture and several others that seem like BS, but Service Garbage kept charging me for them. I think they make up fake people just to so they can bill the service provider.

Yes, they do, your right. Unfortunately, I found this out the hard way too.

I just wanted to warn you, if you had advertised online at any free sites, or even if not, before using sm, please do a few searches and make sure they haven't changed your info, for ex, they have/had my address listed on several pages, like merchant circle, as being in the middle of a field..in a town an hour away. Not only that, when I researched more I realized they also assigned that same address to several other contractors...and the others that have different addresses listed? Well, so far I have yet to find one valid address. I've contacted them, first was told it was a 'glitch' , the next person has no earthly idea how it happened.

I've contacted the Attorney General's office of my state. Good luck.

Hello Jolie [at] me.com –

I am sorry that you are experiencing frustration around the lead replacements. We do have replace leads on a case-by-case basis and can help you get these entered in correctly so that the lead is properly reviewed. The example you gave would be something that we will review for a lead replacement. I would like to speak to you more in detail and help you in regards to your concerns. Please contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or at mblack [at] servicemagic.com.

Mandy Black

View more comments (2)
Raleigh, North Carolina

Recreational Concepts Pool Intaller Ruined my yard and refused to fix it!

Recreational Concepts Pool Intaller Ruined my yard and refused to fix it!
Yard tore up from curb to back by machinery. Owner stated he knew it was too wet and install should have been postponed. He also stated that the installer on site should have earned me of the potential damage and given me an opportunity to postpone the pool installation- something the installer admits he did not do. Owner refused to repair the damage unless I paid for it. Stated that it "was not their responsibility" and "I should have known it was too wet". While getting Since I refused to pay this company another dollar, I had to pay $400 to another landscape contractor to fix the damage they caused. While getting quotes to fix the damage, every contractor said that the industry standard is to put plywood down to protect the lawn (Recreational Concepts did not do this) and to "leave it how you found it". Even the pool water delivery driver said he had delivered to over 50 pool already this summer and had never seen damage anything like it from an installer. My only recourse now is to recoup the money in small claims court.
Preferred solution
Reimbursement of $395 paid to landscape company to fix lawn damage. Can provide invoice as proof.

First Choice Trucking Dallas Tx

First choice Trucking Dallas Texas who struck a gate at our residence during an in ground pool installation has failed to provide his insurance and even denied hitting the gate. anyone who uses these guys be ware he is unethical and fails to take responsibility for his driver. gate was severely damaged and all he can say after first acknowledging the gate ws struck is now to say did anyone see the truck hit the gate. He is a piece of *** owner and a liar. Be ware if he shows up on youu property. The old broek down truck still had a dealers tag and was a mid 80's truck. Clean and workied well but just the owner was the problem. In fct he has nationwide insurance and we do also. Still the insurance adjuster fails to even speak to anyone in a professional manor and sides with the insurer. We may have to change our policy or seek this guy out to be better with all personell as he doesnt knwo who may be policy holders that is angering. Be ware of ron Stephenson of first choice trucking dallas Texas.
Tyler, Texas
Loss

Comcast Cable has the worst customer service of any industry

Our cable was out due to pool installation; comcast was to bury this Spring when ground thawed. Well, we got "in their line" and after 16 missed or botched calls, they finally got it buried wrong again today...in our neighbors yard. Even worse, it's been there before, yes they made this error previously, had to dig it back up and doing so, they cut it, leaving us without for five days and no one to fix it, they were busy. I was put on hold one night for two hours then disconnected when the service office closed. I have over 30 contacts, details with every saying oh that is terrible, and not one person has been able to get it done or is willing to accept any responsiblity. I have missed work when they did not show up, but hello,its a driveway job, so they don't need me? Well apparently they do need me at home to tell them where the driveway is. It is the paved black thing, not the green yard next door. I am sick of hearing that the driveway bore guys are independent contractors - well great but after a few misses, could they get it right> I am exhausted, disgusted and sick of them. Out of this world. They need to take responsiblity.

In my opinion Comcast has made some terrible changes, first of all the channel guide no longer has the date or day. Second and one of the worse changes, the standby mode which we have no control over, this only happened after the channel guide change. Comcast support told me that it is built into the cable box and not something they did....wrong, and when speaking to customer service they pretend they can't hear me,then I am hung up on.

ID
#196702 Review #196702 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mccordsville, Indiana
Comcast Installation

David Childers of Signature Landscapes - Unlicensed "Pro"

My husband and I hired David Childers, a self-purported virtual landscape designer to design plans for a large scale exterior landscaping and pool installation project for our residence. When I checked whether or not he had a valid landscape architect license (as he claims on his website), I learned before our first meeting that his license was not renewed in 2008 by the State of Georgia. He promised me in writing that is was a minor issue with the State recognizing his continuing education credits, and that he would get it straightened out. David Childers stayed at our home for 11 hours during his initial visit. He bills at a rate of $70.00 per hour so we were out $770.00 before he even touched his computer to start designing. Two weeks later, the bill was up to $2,300 and we didn't have anywhere near a finished plan. David Childers worked at a pace that was unacceptable. He complained to another professional on the project that he "had not been paid a dime" by us and that he suspected we wouldn't pay him and they should be worried about the same. He advertises the ability to produce a complete landscape plan for $700-1000 on his web site. This is a total joke. He is a one-man shop and clearly milks clients for every second of his time that he can bill them. I had to ask two weeks into the project where we stood on hours (he never voluntarily gave me an update) and that is when I learned that my bill had skyrocketed to $2,300+ dollars. He billed me to calls to the county in which I live asking county officials if a landscape architect's license was required for him to design plans for our house. I explained to David Childers in writing that a license was my personal requirement, I didn't care if the county required it. Bottom line is that I am out $2,300 and I have nothing more than a minimal, unfinished landscape plan to show for it. David Childers and his one-man company, Signature Landscsapes should be ashamed.
ID
#195677 Review #195677 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Loss

Family - Pool Spa Billiard - $7,500.00 non-Pay Breach of Contract with Gainesville, FL Pool Company

Overview: I recently entered into a contract for an above ground pool package with Family, Pool, Spa, Billiard Centers, 4404 NW 13th St, Gainesville, FL. Two days later, I had a situation arise and phoned to request cancellation. I requested 30-60 days relief and committed to return to re-purchase. Family, Pool, Spa, Billiard Centers, rejected my request and is currently holding me to the contract. I weighed my options and moved some money around in order to press on with the contract, product delivery, and pool installation. Regrettably, after earlier being jerked around, disrespected, and blown-off by the staff, I resolved to wait on a call back, which never came. The contract stipulates a 25 percent cancellation fee. After waiting 16 days, I mailed out two written notices to vacate my contract, both certified return receipt. The letter to the store was delivered and signed. On Monday July 8, if Family, Pool, Spa, Billiard Centers, fail to present payment to my credit cards, they will be in non-compliance. Given no communication, I must plan for Family, Pool, Spa, Billiard Centers confiscating 100% of the contract total and force us into the courts for collection; I love to fight so I'm grinding my axe. :-/ Summary of Written Notice of Cancellation (the names were changed to protect the dirt bags): Reference my enclosed Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers purchase contract. This is a written notice of cancellation of my contract. I direct Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers to refund a minimum 75 percent of the contract total by close of business, Monday July 8, 2013. Failure to process transactions, which consists of credit refunds in equal amounts, by the date indicated, constitutes a breach of contract. Cancellation is based on zero communication by three Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers employees from June 15, 2013 to present. Communication timeline: I phoned the Gainesville store to notify the staff of the necessity to cancel my contract. I spoke with Sean who stated he would process my refund and that Brenda would return my call next day. After zero contact for five days, my wife and I visited the Gainesville store. When introducing ourselves to Sean, he arose from his chair behind the counter and walked out the back door without acknowledging us. I spoke with Brenda, our salesperson, that explained she could not call me because the phone lines we’re having problems all week. Three contact numbers (work, home, and cell) were notated on my contract. She stated there was a 25 percent contract cancellation fee and recommended I dispute the charges. I spoke with Gene, Store Manager, who was initially angered that I had raised my voice and reprimanded me. He stated Saturday is not the day to deal with this and that customers are here shopping and buying pools. He proposed I sign a contract for $500.00 to pay a re-stocking fee (which I interpreted as a replacement contract). I okayed a $500.00 reduction from my first contract if the difference was refunded. Gene shook me off and said he would phone on Monday to further discuss my issue. I provided Gene my work number. 15 days have passed with zero contact from Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers. I attempted to reach out to Gene laterally by phoning Frog Built, Inc. and scheduled a pool install date. I asked Jeff to have Gene please call me. Since our store visit, what I wanted to share with your staff is I had resolved my need to cancel the contract and to continue preparing my pool package for delivery and installation. The only change was crediting $650.00 back to my Discover card to offset the 2’ frame drop. After pool purchase, I made inquiries to Florida State, Levy County, and Williston City Building Permit offices; to include, 811 - One Call Florida, to apply for a dig permit. I was notified by three officials [(to include, Central Florida Electric Cooperative (CFEC)], I was ineligible for a permit and was advised not to file pending disapproval. Don, of the Levy County building permits office, stated he never approved a residential dig permit for above ground pools; citing, “liability issues” and “above ground means just that.” Florida State licensed Pool Installers (i.e., Frog Built Inc.), in accordance with Florida State 556.106 (Liability of Member Operator Excavator and System), is required to phone 811 - One Call Florida two to four days prior of any pool installation and submit a work ticket. On June 28, I phoned 811 - One Call Florida to confirm Frog Built, Inc. placed the call on my behalf. I was notified there was no work ticket in the system. I immediately phoned Frog Built, Inc. and cancelled my July 2 installation with Jeff, and terminated them as the pool installer. At the time of pool purchase, Brenda provided zero consumer information on barrier laws, zoning, Homeowner liability and any associated risks of doing frame drops. As well, she did not provide the Frog Built, Inc., website which lists the information. I paid $650.00 for a 2’ frame drop without being afforded the opportunity to secure prerequisite Florida State and Levy County legal information on residential dig permits. In conclusion, I learned that Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers has charged me $4,950.00 for the identical above ground pool selling on Pool Supply Websites for $1,688.00 (a $3,262.00 price retail markup.) The opportunity to repair my contract and conduct business with Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers is expired. More talking points; 1) When lawyer shopping I stumbled on and spoke with two law firms that were currently representing Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers. 2) A husband & wife deck construction team that I hired shared with me at least the last 10+ customers they built decks for and that purchased from “Family – Pool, Spa, Billiard – Centers” and with installations by Frog Built, Inc. ALL had leaks, rips in the liners, non-English speaking crews, surprise charges for base leveling, and some had pending lawsuits. Hope this review was helpful and objective information Pissedconsumer.com consumers can use. Please pass on the word on the business dealings of this pool company.
Naples, Florida

backyard leisure of North Carolina - *** Poor Work
I have sent a DETAILED response with real time photos of the ABSOLUTE SORRY & UNPROFESSIONAL work I have incurred at the hand of Backyard Leisure. I literally begged to get my monies back once I experienced the sales attributes of Jason -- the appointed manager. This request was months before they even came to my home.I consulted BBB and my attorney, but they ABSOLUTELY REFUSED. I bet he regrets that decision. In my opinion he had to be appointed because he admitted he knew "NOTHING" about pool installation. He said he "just sold them" Well no wonder why the installers can get away with what was shown in the photos!!! What I think I Deserve AT This Point 1. I believe I should get ALL my monies back {$5443.18} ------I waited 10 months (10/18 --7/27} for the pool to be installed. Seemingly an excuse for NOT doing it every time, I believe it was a punishment after I got BBB involved and contacted my attorney 2. Cited and humiliated by my HOA for the mountain of sand they dumped on the street in front of my home then delayed the installation by one week. I believe it was DELIBERATELY done!!! When I asked the installer Chance Burton about it he said he didn't know why they did it because they knew that he would NOT be installing for a week!!! {See Photo and letter} The sand began sliding down my driveway onto my neighbors driveways after the heavy rains. They were PISST. There is STILL sand in the street and some in front of their driveways. 3. Removal of the PVC fence. The fence was installed in January. We informed them that this would happen, yet they STILL procrastinated and waited six more months. Then had the audacity to ask us to have the fence removed so they cold grate the land six months later. Well that cost too!! Two large panels had to be removed from an already constructed fence then put back!!! {$600} 4.Then there was the removal of the garbage ----- huge boxes and bags of garbage left in my backyard along with broken pieces of cement blocks that we STILL have to get rid of. Not disposable in city sanitation. 5. The lining they used was stretched beyond measure and ready to tear, so a new lining had to be purchased {$426.99 see enclosed receipt} 6. They had to dismantle the entire pool, re-grate the sand, fumigate --bugs were growing in the sand. This had not be done by Backyard Leisure, level the sand because it was not level then reinstall the pool {$1800.00 see enclosed receipt} 7. We purchase a Lifetime Shed and because my husband has spinal cord surgery we had arranged for a crew of friends to help install it, however the delay caused us to miss out on the help and we had to pay for the installation which was done July 25th {$600 see enclosed receipt} 8. I had to take off 2 days from the office to accommodate the installation of the shed which had to be synchronized with the removal of the PVC fence because of the location it was being placed at!! {priceless} Total I come up with is $8945.17 $5443.18 600.00 426.99 1800.00 600.00 75.00 {we gave a guy $75 to take the trash} $8945.17 I will forward pictures of the beautifully installed professionally done pool. This has been on exhaustive process!!

The Pictures are worth it all. Thanks for posting them!!!

Freeport, New York
Backyard Leisure Of North Carolina Pool Installation
Cons
  • Customer service
Full refund
A couple of months ago we walked in to inquire about a pool and after walking around the entire store not one person greeted us or came up to us to offer assistance. We heard about their Labor day sale and decided to give them a second chance. We were instantly pleased...

We almost made the mistake of purchasing a pool from Family Leisure last summer but ended up making our purchase at A-Tex Pools instead. Our experience with them has been great from the start and I would highly suggest you go there if you have not purchased your pool yet.

They are a family owned and operated store with no commission sales people to deal with.

We got a better deal from A-Tex on the pool and the customer service we have received since we bought it has been excellent. Hope this helps.

View more comments
Order processing issue

Sun Splash Pools And Spas - Installed an In-Ground Pool. One Problem After Another.

Hiring Sun Splash Pools and Spas for the installation of an in-ground pool has unquestionably been the worst buying decision of our lives. If you are thinking about an in-ground swimming pool, you may want to reconsider; however, if you are thinking about hiring Sun Splash, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. I have hesitated to post a review of our experience because, nearly a year later, our pool has not been completed to our satisfaction; however, I feel a moral obligation to warn others against repeating our mistake. If you read positive reviews about this company, I would caution against taking them seriously. I strongly suspect that those may have been written by friends of the contractor or the contractor himself. The only part of our project that was completed in a timely manner was the signing of the contract and the start of excavation, and that is where our problems began ... right at the start. Once you have a big hole in your yard and a mountain of dirt, it is difficult to turn back. Get used to looking at that big hole and a mountain of dirt for a long, long time. Also get ready to be billed for a long list of cost overruns, once the project gets started. We agreed to pay for a $36,000.00 pool project and would never have entered into the project had we known that the final cost would be $45,000.00. Sun Splash Pools and Spas knows that, too, and that is why they will "lowball" the price on the contract. Detailed soil data and geographic information are readily available from the Massachusetts Office of Geographic Information, the Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, and the United States Soil Conservation Service. Anyone with years of experience in pool installations should be accessing this data prior to quoting on a project and should easily be aware that there are glacially deposited rocks in the Southern New England subsoil. To excavate under the presumption of a best case scenario that simply does not exist in reality is, at minimum, highly irresponsible. It allows an unscrupulous contractor to write up an order at a unrealistically low price that he knows will have no basis in reality. Ninety minutes into the start of excavation, our problems began when the electrical conduit and water line from our well were both broken, despite the fact that I had approximated their location prior to the commencement of work. There is the first of the long list of additional charges. Our biggest problem with this project is the false allegation that this type of pool installation takes 3-4 weeks, "5 weeks under the worst case scenario", and the assurance that we would be "swimming by the Fourth of July". It did not take long for us to realize that nothing that the contractor would tell us came anywhere close to constituting the truth. In the interest of keeping this review as brief as possible, let me summarize a few of the "highlights" of our project: "¢ A total lack of communication with subcontractors. One excavation contractor agreed to move rocks, for example, but then another excavation contractor showed up to finish that phase of the work. Even though we gave him a landscape boulder (that he probably sold for $100.00 or $200.00), we were charged for moving rocks that the first contractor had agreed to move. "¢ Not only days, but weeks, when we would not see a worker from Sun Splash Pools. Then somebody might show up in the rain or late on a Friday afternoon to do an hour or two of work. "¢ Backing a truck into a family member's vehicle, then taking over a month to file an insurance claim. "¢ Delivering water at 10:00 PM, then expecting the water delivery person to work in the dark to remove wrinkles from the liner. "¢ Taking three to four weeks to remove those wrinkles from the pool liner. "¢ Miscalculating the amount of salt to be added to the water of our saltwater pool, then having to remove 1,500 gallons of water. Refusing to pump the water into an empty tanker truck and expecting us to drain the water into nearby wetlands on our property. "¢ Subcontracting the stamped concrete to another company that did the work incorrectly. Concrete color that was supposed to match an adjoining stone patio did not even come close, the difference between brown and white. The concrete is also cracked from improper drying conditions. Remedial measures to "correct" the situation after the fact have put unknown chemical compounds into the water. We are told that the concrete work has no warranty. "¢ Despite fine print on the contract that specifies that any use of the pool indicates that the project is accepted as complete, encouraging us on a hot July afternoon to "use the pool". Although this company may have earned a positive reputation in years past, something has gone seriously wrong. The volume and severity of complaints seem to have dramatically increased in 2011, probably the result of writing up more business than the company could handle. As a result, our project was repeatedly stalled, and we were continually on the receiving end of broken promises. As stated in the beginning of this review, this was without question the worst buying decision of our lives, and our problems have still not been properly resolved. Hiring Sun Splash Pools and Spas for the installation of an in-ground pool has unquestionably been the worst buying decision of our lives. If you are thinking about an in-ground swimming pool, you may want to reconsider; however, if you are thinking about hiring Sun Splash, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. I have hesitated to post a review of our experience because, nearly a year later, our pool has not been completed to our satisfaction; however, I feel a moral obligation to warn others against repeating our mistake. If you read positive reviews about this company, I would caution against taking them seriously. I strongly suspect that those may have been written by friends of the contractor or the contractor himself. The only part of our project that was completed in a timely manner was the signing of the contract and the start of excavation, and that is where our problems began ... right at the start. Once you have a big hole in your yard and a mountain of dirt, it is difficult to turn back. Get used to looking at that big hole and a mountain of dirt for a long, long time. Also get ready to be billed for a long list of cost overruns, once the project gets started. We agreed to pay for a $36,000.00 pool project and would never have entered into the project had we known that the final cost would be $45,000.00. Sun Splash Pools and Spas knows that, too, and that is why they will "lowball" the price on the contract. Detailed soil data and geographic information are readily available from the Massachusetts Office of Geographic Information, the Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, and the United States Soil Conservation Service. Anyone with years of experience in pool installations should be accessing this data prior to quoting on a project and should easily be aware that there are glacially deposited rocks in the Southern New England subsoil. To excavate under the presumption of a best case scenario that simply does not exist in reality is, at minimum, highly irresponsible. It allows an unscrupulous contractor to write up an order at a unrealistically low price that he knows will have no basis in reality. Our biggest problem with this project is the false allegation that this type of pool installation takes 3-4 weeks, "5 weeks under the worst case scenario", and the assurance that we would be "swimming by the Fourth of July". It did not take long for us to realize that nothing that the contractor would tell us came anywhere close to constituting the truth. Although this company may have earned a positive reputation in years past, something has gone seriously wrong. The volume and severity of complaints seem to have dramatically increased in 2011, probably the result of writing up more business than the company could handle. As a result, our project was repeatedly stalled, and we were continually on the receiving end of broken promises. As stated in the beginning of this review, this was without question the worst buying decision of our lives, and our problems have still not been properly resolved.

Sun Splash Pools & Spas would like to briefly respond to Peter Pellands review. We politely asked him to remove his untruthful, vindictive commentary. Regretfully he has not.

In an attempt to avoid final payment Peter fabricated a bunch of nonsense that was addressed at a hearing at The Office of Consumer Affairs in Boston, Ma., Docket No. 2011-393 in which the findings were in Sun Splash’s favor.

It is very difficult for us at Sun Splash Pools to digest that he is allowed to post such a vitriolic, unfounded and potentially damaging comment.

We are a reputable, trustworthy family owned business. Our heart and soul goes into every project we do and take pride in every pool we build. Our testimonials on our website attribute to our commitment of quality and customer satisfaction.

Springfield, Massachusetts
Monarch Pools and Spas - Worst Experience I've Ever Had With A Contractor
This was the worst experience with a contractor I have ever had. Never in my life have I been treated so poorly and so unprofessionally as with Monarch Pools. We had a 16' x 32' in-ground pool installed this summer in Bergen County. There are no grudges here, I am a...
Westwood, New Jersey
Monarch Pools And Spas Swimming Pool Installation
Cons
  • Bad experience

Verified Reviewer
I want to share a nightmare of a story involving NAMCO that began in late May when we decided to purchase a pool. Over 12-13 years ago, we purchased a pool from NAMCO and our experience was much different. My wife and I understood that the world has been much different...
Auburn, Massachusetts
Namco Pools Installation
Pros
  • Price
Cons
  • Misleading
$2000
Preferred solution
Price reduction & fix our pump
We contracted Carlton pools to build our in-ground pool July 30th 2016. We still do not have a pool we can use. We have missed Mothers Day, my 12 year olds summer bday party, Father's Day, our yearly summer vacation, now 4th of July my yearly party was cancelled. I...

Wow...I had a pool installed by them and had a few bumps during construction of the pool but it was major construction to transform our backyard that had a lot of challenges. WE LOVE OUR POOL AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND CARLTON!! and Dan our sales guy was the best, very knowledgeable and available even now after the sale when we have silly new pool owner questions and the office is closed

View more comments
Carlton Pools Pool Installation
Price reduction

Monarch Pools and Spas - Stay FARRRRRR away from Monarch. Nightmares waiting to happen.

I had a replacement pool done by Monarch Pools. When I signed the contract, the bottom of the contact states that Monarch will do the work with "minimal aggravation" to me, the customer. Unfortunately, all we have had is aggravation through this entire process. The pool parts/supplies were placed in my driveway on Friday June 21th and work began on Saturday June 22th. When I asked the foreman on this day how long the pool would take for installation, he said there would be "water in the pool in about 10 days", which would mean Monday July 1st. Though I was told the crew was going to be there in the morning, They didn't arrive until after 4:30PM and worked until about 7PM, effectively ruining my plans for the day, but this is the least of my concerns. On this day, the majority of the excavating was done. Unfortunately, there was no dumpster to remove the debris, no fore-warning of the amount of dirt that was going to be piled up on the side of my house. Maybe I should have anticipated this but I have never been through this process and would expect Monarch, as licensed professionals, to give me fore-warning things such as this so could be prepared accordingly. When the metal/debris was being removed, at one point, it fell into the side of my house, damaging the siding of the house (picture 1-example of a few spots), damaging my kitchen window screen ( do not have but I can provide a picture if necessary) and one of my gutters (picture 3). Then the metal/debris from the old pool was left on my front lawn and was told it would be removed 'in a few days". Ok, 2-3 days I figured, I can live with this. Additionally, during the excavating, they hit a gas line in my yard which caused a bit of panic, having to have PSE&G to come to the house and also ripped out the electrical lines which ran to the pool shed in the back of the house (can provide picture if necessary), which now needs to be replaced. Other challenges experienced, this day, the two contracted crews/workers, Lance & Umberto have obvious frustrations with each other. Though both very nice, polite and respectable to me, both on various occasions complained to me about each other. as a customer, I should have no knowledge, nor should it matter to me, the challenges that are happening amongst the crew. It turned out to be 27 yards of dirt (more on this later). After the initial excavating, the crew did not return to complete the excavating until Thursday June 27th, 5 days later. Moreover, again, I was told they would be there in the morning, however, the crew did not arrive until 6:30PM and worked until 9PM, to the displeasure of my neighbors as well as myself. At this point, the amount of dirt piled up on the side of my house was so much that it went to the base of my kitchen window (6 1/2 feet high) from my house, and damaged my neighbors fence, which will have to be replaced. Additionally, two of my basement window screens were destroyed due to all of the dirt/shale and one of the windows was damaged. Luckily there was a window stop which prevented any major dirt/shale getting into the house and I was able to repair the lock that broke open, however, the frame is off as now when it rains, some mud/water seeps through (picture 8). On this night, I texted the sales manager, expressing frustration with the project. He replied that he would "tell the owner of the company of the text messages we will reply tomorrow". I never heard a reply. The excess dirt (not needed for back-fill) was removed I believe the next day or two later (still, more on this later) Next day of work occurred on (either) Friday June 28th or Saturday June 29th when the walls of the pool were installed, thus completing the first step where the pool was ready for the inspection. At this point, the foreman apologized for the delays in the installation and said that he used to have 3 crews working for him but now he only has one, this the work load is too much for the timeline that they were given. Additionally, my neighbor complained to the foreman about the damaged fence before I could get to the neighbor and apologize for the damaged and assume him it would be replaced. On Tuesday, July 2nd, I had a conversation with the salesman expressing many of the challenges experienced, one of which was that the debris, which now included many tree branches that had to be removed for excavator access, was still on my front lawn. It looks so horrible that I was embarrassed to be in front of my house. At that point, it was finally arranged to have the debris removed and it was on the morning of July 4th (which upset my neighbor that work was being done on a holiday). The excavator was dropped off and stored on the side of my house the night prior and stored there again afterwards for the following few days. On Friday July 5th, the cement was finally placed in the pool. Finally, the pallets of base/mix that was placed in my driveway was used so I finally again had access my garage and park in my driveway (however the bags from the mix were placed in trash bags and left in the driveway). Saturday July 6th, the excavator was picked-up from the side of my house but my neighbor retaining wall was hit and needed to be repaired (which Monarch arranged). My front lawn was destroyed and now consists of a mix of dirt, red shale and cement mix. The pool was finally back filled a few weeks later but still had about 15 yards of dirt left. Monarch was trying to put it on me to have it removed saying they didn't realize how much excess dirt there would be. If they didn't know as the professionals, how would I know?!?! After arguing with them for a few weeks, they finally arranged to have it removed. The pool was finally finished towards the end of August, then I had concrete poured. When i was talking to the company, they were saying how it is the word around the industry that my pool installation was so screwed up and all are talking about it. When I finally spoke to the owner Tom White, he was no better than a used car salesman. He told me what I wanted to hear and only offered me a tarp pool cover worth $250 (telling me the safety covers are horrible, even though they are the best ones. I eventually talked him into giving me a discount on a rugged mesh safety cover. After it was ordered, I texted the foreman asking when it was going to be in. he said they would install it on Sunday (October 20th). I planned my weekend around this. On the Friday before, I got a call from the office looking to schedule the installation. I told her I worked it out with the foreman to have it done Sunday. She said they don't work Sundays and would call me back. She then called my wife for no reason saying that she just spoke to me. Still have NO idea why that was necessary but I never heard back from her. I then texted the foreman again who told me he had my phone # confused and thought he was talking to someone else. I then scheduled the installation date for Saturday October 26th at 11AM. They did call me the previous day to confirm but working, I did not return their call until the next morning, day of the installation. They then said that someone would be over between 12-2 for the install. I asked what happened to 11AM, he said he didn't hear back so pushed me back. REALLY?!?! After everything that has happened. So I got mad and yelled because they are ALL clueless there. The team finally shows at 1:30 and want to collect the payment before starting the work. i showed them the certified check and after everything, i wouldn't pay until the job is completed. Juan, who worked in the office, said no. I then called Juan who started yelling at me that I was rude and yelling earlier so he wouldn't budge and said "no check, no cover" and hangs up the phone. The MOST unprofessional thing anyone in the service industry has ever done. I then call him back and we get into a yelling match. Everyone there, expect for the salesman, seems to forget who the customer is. They need to hold themselves to a higher standard and sometimes getting yelled at is part of the job. I know, I work in the service industry. Finally, I tell him I want to talk to Tom White, he called me back and was now nice saying they would let me pay afterwards. Dealing with them all summer, caused me SO much stress to the point where I had to go see doctors. I had someone come give me an estimate on a fence and the guy used to work in the pool industry. He asked who I used and when I said Monarch, his reply was "good luck". I am thankful that I don't have to deal with them again (though they Still haven't repaired my gutter, screens or house siding-so I am holding the final $500 balance) but 1000% regret using them. Brian, the salesman is a nice guy and really does care. It about ends there for Monarch. I wish he'd go work for another company. trust me and stay far away from Monarch. They last thing they do is honor their contract where it states "minimal aggravation to the customer". That is ALL I had.

I have a Monarch Pool for over 30 years and the install was fine.

I am on my 3rd vinyl liner due to sun and chem bleaching.

had it installed 2 years ago, great job and no issues. Also had a new tarp cover installed for the winter and again no issues.

Converted to salt water last year and love it.

New York, New York