Marg J

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Quebec, Quebec

Defective product and lousy (rip off) replacement policy

Brother Canada - Defective product and lousy (rip off) replacement policy
Updated by user Jun 19, 2024

After 4 weeks of trying to reach a satisfactory arrangement with tech support staff, Brother Canada presented me with a brand new printer – an upgrade from my defective printer – at no cost to me. Cudos to Brother Canada for their generous gesture. Many thanks to BBB (Better Business Bureau) for their assistance in helping to resolve my complaint so quickly and smoothly.

Original review Jun 12, 2024
I have owned three Brother printers in the past -- each lasting more than 10 years. Two b/w laser printers were replaced for newer models -- but not because they stopped working.

I also still have a 2011 MFC-J280W Colour Inkjet that works.
A high-end MFC-L5900DW laser printer that I purchased developed a ticking internal noise at its 6-month mark. Tech Support advised that the printer model had been discontinued but that they would replace it with used printer that had been refurbished.
I would never intentionally purchase a refurbished product -- I have had two electronic devices that were replaced with refurbished products and both died within a few months. So to replace my 6-month-old printer with a used, refurbished product was/is not an acceptable option.
I offered to pay the difference in price for a new printer with a one-year extended warranty (as per my original, now discontinued model). Tech support refused.

Instead they offered to give me a minor discount on a new printer. Essentially they wanted me to accept a refurbished device with a 6-month warranty instead of a new device with a one-year warranty.
My position is: why should I accept a used, refurbished product with a six-month warranty when a brand new Brother printer that I purchased only lasted six months. That experience certainly does not inspire trust in Brother's used/refurbished products. What happens when the refurb dies in a couple of months?

I am definitely not prepared to spend an additional $800 on a new printer for personal use. I am not running an office and submitting the printer to extensive use. At most, it is used 3-4 times per week.

The printer was defective and I am not responsible for that.
The warranty states a new or refurbished replacement however when asked, tech support would not provide the criteria used to determine the replacement type, simply that when it comes to replacement options, we only send refurbished units when it is within warranty.
Brother needs to replace the defective printer with a brand new printer and not a used, refurbished product. As mentioned, I am willing to pay the difference in price.
Pros:
  • Andre in tech support has provided good technical advice
Cons:
  • Tech support staff simply do not care about customers
  • So it is easier for them to ignore and evade questions
  • It is always a different person responding to your emails

Preferred solution: Brother needs to replace the defective printer with a brand new printer and not a used, refurbished product. I am willing to pay the difference in price

User's recommendation: Don't buy high-end printers from Brother

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article