Poor working conditions

I worked as an administrator for Bristol Care for over a year. If you are considering an offer of employment from them, I highly recommend you read the contract thoroughly, research the company, and talk to the residents and staff (privately) about their care, and what they think of Home Office. Joyce Furnell is a snake in the grass, and is only out for herself and how much money she can make. I was terminated without cause, and JF did nothing but lie about me to prospective employers, the residents and families I had grown so fond of, and the unemployment agency. I had to fight for a long time for unemployment benefits. JF herself told me, shortly after firing me, that my residents loved me and had nothing but good things to say about me during their so called "investigation." The facility I ran was the "cleanest (director of quality Assurance) has seen." Yet, I was fired. They claimed it was because of safety and security of the facility, because I had my family come and visit me at the facility. As the administrator, I had very limited opportunity to go and visit them, so having them come to me was the only way I could see my family. I believe I was fired because I was going head to head with home office, advocating for the residents, trying to get them an updated facility, and trying to get them to change some of their policies so that I could get more staff hours so that I could get all the required work done. The way it is set up now, there is no way to get all the required cleaning, dressing, bathing, cooking, marketing, errands, shopping, and office work all done. Not if you want it done correctly. Administrators are in charge of the day to day operations of the facility, but corporate doesn't give them the necessary resources or support they need. I spent almost half of my check each month buying things the facility needed after the monthly budgets were spent. I wouldn't let my residents, or facility, go without so I paid for it myself. I worked myself almost to death for this company, only to be humiliated and lied about from the corporate bullies. When my first granddaughter was born I couldn't go to be with my daughter because my staff called in sick. My supervisor told me it was not her job to get someone in there to look after the building so that I could go, and corporate wouldn't help find someone, nor did they care. And yet I stayed with the company, still pouring all of myself into it. Because that is what my residents deserved. Joyce Furnell, senior vice president, does NOT care about the employees or the residents in her facilities. The only thing she cares for is money. 3 months before being let go I started looking for other employment opportunities. I had enough of JF's accusations and bullying. A few weeks after I had been actively searching for work, I saw that My job in My facility was being advertised. I even had people come in to apply and interview with me about My position. I called director of QA and asked if I was going to lose my job, and I was assured that was not the case. Yet, 6 weeks later they let me go. I assume they were waiting for an excuse that would make them look good for letting such a valuable employee go. I was denied unemployment because JF lied about the reason she gave me for being fired. I fought it, filed the appeal, and got my hearing. JF lied about me several times during the 2 day hearing, without any tangible evidence to back up her accusations. However, my OCD was put to good use by my meticulous record keeping skills, and they found in my favor. That is the only victory I have had with this company thus far. I was told by my supervisor, after I had cleaned out my living quarters, that I would get my deposit back that I had made on the room upon being hired. After 4 months I still have not received that check. After calling corporate I learned that Joyce denied the return of my deposit. No one in that office knows why she denied it, and she has not yet answered my phone calls or emails to explain herself. I was also told by my supervisor that the $140 worth of food and cleaning/household products I bought 2 days before my termination would be refunded to me. I have not received that check either. For such a large, profitable company, I don't know why they have such a hard time paying back my $640. I will never again work for a company that I don't thoroughly research first. In my opinion, and personal experience, Bristol Care, Inc is a horrible company to work for. They treat their employees like slaves, they keep their administrator trapped in the house with very limited opportunity for getting away, and they drag their feet on making necessary repairs to their facilities. If you are offered a position with Bristol Care, I highly recommend you turn around and RUN!

User's recommendation: Do Not use this company.

ID
#1929838 Review #1929838 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mineral, Missouri
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Good / bad l

Bristol care for Seniors is what you make out of it.Joyce gives you free reighn to run it as you like .As long as you follow state guide lines. But , they do not care if you don't have any help I worked 3 months with no help and they did not care. Meals are 4.25 per person for 3 meals which is pretty standard nation wide . It's workable. I was also terminated and never got my money for deposit back or pet deposit.I also cleaned before I left and before I moved in. Talking to attorney now so if anybody wants to join me here is my number 660492****
Sedalia, Missouri
Problems with payment

Ticked off past employee!

I used to work for Bristol. I loved my residents and took very good care of them. I worked hard on a skeleton crew to make sure everyone's needs were me. With that being said on the other hand my boss put me in for a raise, it was denied. I worked my tail off all different hours, sometimes 36 hrs without a break. I also had a serious incident with a resident that the owners refused to handle. I do have a lawyer and a good case. It's apparent to me, the people who work and slave there for the owners is undoubtedly overlooked and disregarded as petty employees. I know the girls I worked with cared about the people, but corporate didn't care about the employees or residents. What a shame!! Joyce I don't know if you always had money or came into it screwing the help, but if you was hurting financially at one time then you need to humble yourself and remember where you came from. If you always had money, then that explains alot making people work like your servants with little pay. See you in court!!

Bristol Care Sanitary Conditions Review from Warrensburg, Missouri

As a former manager of Bristol Manor of Butler. I can tell you there was NO filth in my facility!! My residents were happy My residents were well fed. Clean rooms There was NEVER a bad smell in my place. Because it was kept clean! During a State inspection. I was sited for expired ground cinnamon. It was promptly tossed in the trash. Bristol pays minimum wage or it may be a bit more. But the same goes for most businesses. As for price. It was $62.00 a day at my facility. Nursing homes are at least $135.00 per day. I GAVE MY RESIDENTS A WONDERFUL CLEAN HOME FILLED WITH LOVE. Mary Olive-Burrous
Warrensburg, Missouri
Good customer service

Happy as a lark

Amazing how people are big shots when they can be anonymous. This company let me stay at home and raise my kids while paying me a salary, my rent and utilities plus extras. I also am able to go to school I been here 3 yrs I know what rent is for residents and lots are Medicaid and pay low low rent. I take pride in my building and its never dirty and I get good inspections. If you ran your building bad you aren't there long because they have high standards you must be at. so im saying you weren't good at your job or your just being dishonest...shame on you

Good for you!! For seeing the positive side of Bristol Manor.

I was therefor 11 years and treated it as my business. I am very proud of the way I decorated my building and made my residents part of my family.

I loved my years as manager.

There were difficult times, but every job has it ups and downs.

You were allowed to have your children living at the facility in that tiny room? Did the state know about that?

Heard a rumor from another manager that someone was fired recently that had their children living there.

Wonder if that was you, and if you want to change this review now?

You are a lying snake. I'll bet anything that you are a member of the corporate management.

But your dispicable, hateful treatment of your employees will come out and your lies won't keep you in business. When you can no longer find anyone to work for you at all, how will you stay in business then?

View more comments (2)
Poor customer service

Bristol Care - Residential Care Facilities Review from Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

Horrible company..... Do not place your loved ones in these facilities. I'm a former worker of Bristol & was with them for nearly 10 years. You are forced to lie to new Mgrs, employees & etc.... The ones who suffer are the Residents. The SVP & a certain Sprvsr are extremely cruel to Mgrs threatening them & even recording them with out their knowledge leading them on to say something after they initiate a conflict with a mgr. Turn over rate is through the roof. I can guarantee they have the highest turn over in Missouri as a company. They have horrible ethics & do not follow their own policies. They rehire mgrs that were terminated for horrible acts on employees & such including sexual harassment simply because they can not find a warm body to run a facility. The pay is horrible for all employees in every area of Bristol & all are overworked & extremely underpaid. The buildings are full of filth & the company is a disgrace. Do not ever place your loved one with Bristol. They only care about the monthly rent they'll charge you & believe me unless you get lucky with a compassionate Mgr. They will not be taken care of.....

And it is illegal for you to drive the residents in your car.

Bristol Care owners are friends with the state inspectors, so don't expect any help there. If you check the complaint violations you will see that few are resolved, and you have to look at each of the 64 facilities individually.

The only violations that are resolved are when Bristol Care doesn't renew their licensure on time.

Complaints are ignored. This company owns most of Sedalia and no one wants to risk their wrath.

Everything they did to you was technically legal and you signed an agreement allowing it. Suggest you contact the lawyers suing them Baker vs Bristol Care and file a lawsuit before it is too late.

Baker case made it to the Missouri supreme court.

Anyone who works for this company or puts a loved one in their care is going to regret it.

That's really odd that you say they have bad turnover rate and care only about money the manager I work for is amazing and cares so much for those ppeople that she takes her own money to help pay for things they need and i do as well we also help our residents with getting to appointments without being paid for it. Our facility is definacy free .

We take pride in our facility and its cleaned inside and out every week all week long we celebrate all holidays and arrange eentertainment for our residents as far as the pay goes its fair for the amount of work you put into.

Anything that deals with elderly is hard and you get back what you put in. yes there have been some not so committed managers they are the ones that don't last long

@PissedConsumer1014916

You pay for things out of your own pocket because Bristol Care give you less than food stamps to feed the residents and makes you buy trash bags from corporate for more than they would cost in a store. Nice to hear you are happy working all but 6 hours a night to sleep (required by the state) and 40 hours a week of daytime support staff.

They are lucky to have you. In the other 63 facilities the turnover is very high because few people want a job that requires working 88 hours a week for the minimum required by law for salaried employees (basically what a manager at a fast food restaurant makes for working 60 hours a week) and having to give 2 months notice to leave or pay hundreds of dollars to the company (you signed the agreement!).

The turnover rate is so high they have new employee training classes EVERY MONTH. Have no doubt you will encounter the other side of working for this company, and will keep an eye on this review to watch it change then.

check this link truth about Bristol care

I completely agree! This company is completely out of control!

The facilities are awful! My aunt had cockroaches in her hair! When the manager was informed she was completely disgusted and stated that she was only still there to help the residents! She had told the corporate office the very day she came and they told her to deal with it.

She reported this to the state and they fired her! She was a great asset to the facilities but they don't want people to know how bad they r so they got rid of her.

She was even assulted by a Corp employee! Another facility had bed bugs and the manager reported it and they also fielded her it's terrible sooooooo sad!!!

@PissedConsumer975822

I was cussed at by Joyce Furnell herself today because I called to complain my paycheck is lost in the mail and they will not re-issue it. She and Shelly say it is a postal problem.

I say give me my money. Bristol Care Inc is a horrible place to work.

You are not given enough food budget to provide 3 decent meals a day and forget about money for cleaning supplies. They want us to use vinegar to clean everything.

Response to Horrible Company Blogger:

Everyone knows who you, you were placed on the disqualified list by this company because of your stuff now you want to act like you were wronged by them.. I say you should have got more than u did! your trying to make them look bad because u got fired I feel sorry for you

@PissedConsumer956496

Another corporate ranger trying to make the little guy look bad!! ^^^^^

Joyce, Donna & their so called RN Dawn, all know how low down they really are.

All three lie, steal and cheat. They do whatever they can to keep people employed without paying them a proper salary. Come on 8.00 dollars a hr for a Administrator , that`s an insult and a slap in the face.

Minimum per hour should at least start at 11.00 and give them more staff hours so that the patients are cared for properly. Patient care should always and foremost set priority.

Never have I ever seen a company that cared so little about their employees or the for the elderly that are hosed in Bristol Care.

View more comments (9)
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Poor customer service

BRISTOL CARE IS THE WORSE COMPANY IN AMERICA TO WORK FOR

THIS COMPANY IS CORRUPT AND HUNGRY OF MONEY, THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THIS BUSINESS WHERE THEY HAVE TO CARE FOR SENIORS, THEY ABUSE PATIENTS, EMPLOYEES, AND THE ONLY THING THE OWNER (JOYCE) CARES ABOUT IS MONEY. WHEN YOU ARE HIRED AS A MANAGER, ONLY THINGS YOU DO IS COOKING FOR THE WHOLE FACILITY, CLEANING ALL ROOMS, PASSING MEDS, PAPERWORK, PHONE CALLS, FAX,....AND WHAT YOU GET FROM THE OWNER IS A TOTAL DISRESPECT AND TOLD CONSTANTLY TO BE FIRE IF YOU DON'T GET HER FACILITY FULL OF RESIDENCES IN ORDER FOR HER TO MAKE MONEY. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW GOOD OR HARD YOU DO YOUR JOB, ANY DAY THEY SHOW UP TO FIRE YOU AND GIVE YOU 1HR TO TAKE ALL YOUR BELONGINGS WITH YOU. YOU HAVE TO WORK AT LEAST 16HOURS A DAY, THE COMPANY DOES NOT PROVIDE BENEFITS, AND WHEN YOU ARE FIRED, THE OWNER ALWAYS TRIES TO BLOCK YOU FROM GETTING UNEMPLOYMENT.

Wow someone sounds mad.

I spent 11 years as a Bristol manager.

Yes, it's a hard job.

You had day and night hours for employees. Maybe you didn't utilize them very well.

I believe you on blocking unemployement . I was termi ated I thought for o e reason by a district supervisor the.

JOYCE FURNELL tell u employement she was told I did t complete .y adminstror training

Which I had!

Then has my admin where I worked hours be thier fall goat. I'm homeless because a disticct supervisors messed up .

File a lawsuit. Look up Baker vs Bristol Care Inc.

JF ISN'T GONNA GET AWAY WITH HER PRACTICES ANY LONGER WITH OUT CONSEQUENCE.

I KNOW ALL OF WHAT YOU SPEAK OF & YOU CAN GET LAWSUIT GOING LIKE TONS & TONS OF OTHERS WHO SUFFERED FROM D.H. & J.F....

MCMAHON ATTORNEY IS GREAT PLACE TO START.... THE RCFS SHOULD ALL BE SHUT DOWN UNLESS THEY CHANGE THEIR WAYS.

@PissedConsumer933214

I agree. I got a needle stick working for this incompetent company, someone left a used needle in a blood sugar pen, and they wouldn't follow up on my incident report and tried to make me feel bad like it was my fault.

I quit and am currently filing unemployement. Noone deserves to work in this hostile kind of environment.

View more comments (3)
ID

This company has POOR business ethics. Please report the FRAUD.

Update by user Apr 28, 2012

When I was terminated without cause. I asked why and the *** for a supervisor from Bristol Care Inc. asked me to write her a later, AFTER the fact and she would write me back telling me why she felt she had to let me go. But what\'s worse than that, I was given an hour to remove my belongings from the apartment.

I managed to pack three bags and then I was forced to leave. Never a write up. Never broke the law. The company kept the furniture I purchased with my own money and told me if I couldn\'t take all of my furniture with me it would be a loss to me because I could not come back on the property.

I never was told I would be asked to move the day I was fired, but it happened and NOW, before it\'s over, not only will the Mayor, the Govenor, the Senator, Vice President, and the President of our country will know, because I am adamant that this never happening to anyone else, I want the laws changed and they will.

Original review posted by user Apr 28, 2012
Bristol Care Inc. hires managers to manage RCF--Residential Care Facilities, that house the elderly. I was promised staff upon hiring. Reinbursement for monies spent, ALL LIES. I had NO staff at all. The company provides an apartment for managers...FILTH. I could not live in it when I arrived and they still deducted money out of my check. I worked alone for weeks, NOT managing, but cooking, cleaning, showering people, passing over hundreds of meds DAILY. The building was infested with MICE...inside the residents drawers, pantries, they were biting holes from above the ceiling and dropping down into the facility. Then on top of that, I was fired without a cause and never given the deposit back from the apartment I had to clean upon my arrival. I couldn't even take a shower until I clean whoevers dirt out of it first. REPORT THESE LIARS. They look good on the website, and on BBB, but it's a bunch of BS.

I'm going through the same ***,,hiring a lawyer

As a manager for 11 years. I have no big complaints

If you had mice and problems with the building, why didn't you report it.

You had forms for it.

As for your employees, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO HIRES. YOU CHOOSE WHO YOU WANT TO HAVE IN YOUR FACILITY. You knew that the minute you signed your contract what was expected of you.

Managing a Bristol is like running your own business.

You can succeed or you can fail. Sounds like you failed.

Everything they did to you was legal. You signed to employment agreement.

You should have researched this company and your rights before you moved in. If you had you would not have taken this job.

You might be happy to know about Baker vs Bristol Care Inc. Suggest you look it up and even though it is too late for you to file your case, call and talk to Baker's lawyers.

@PissedConsumer1075169

You signed a contract. Should have read it.

If you think Bristol has a high turn over.

Look at any fast food joint or skilled nursing home. Get real.

Before you put a loved in one of these facilities or take a job with this company, search Bristol Care Inc and Bristol Manor on case net. In particular Baker vs Bristol Care.

I'd also be sure to ask what the budget is for food for the residents, ask for the name of the doctor that is on call (there is no doctor on call, and only one nurse for all 64 facilities). Also ask how long the staff has been there, they have high turnover rate.

If you take a job with this company or put a loved in their to live you will encounter problems.

@PissedConsumer1075164

Bristol NEVER HAD A HOUSE DOCTOR. Each resident had their own.

If they had a medical problem, you called or faxed the Doctor.

You called the family when there was a problem.

Family took them to the Doctor or for medical help.

It was that simple.

I looked this place up on www.mcqc.com and they have several homes on that web site that have had bad, bad inspections! Apparently the worse is class 1 and there are Bristol homes with class1's! So I went to the state of Missouri web site "Show Me Long Term Care" and let me tell you, don't look good

I say where there's smoke, there's fire.

Sour grapes I think. Key word fired!!!! Grow up and take responsibility for your hostile childish attitude from a lazy person who got fired.

@PissedConsumer494669

No sour grapes, was going to quit anyway. Had enough!

Wasn't lazy, did my job.

Joyce wanted the building full NOW!

You can't drag residents in!

You get fired for that!

@PissedConsumer494669

Sour grapes, you 'think'? So, you don't KNOW, you just think. Please be quiet.

View more comments (10)
Fort Smith, Arkansas

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article