Dhara Tucker Family Psychologist

Cartus Clowns

Energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be changed from one form to another, transferred from one object to another. From me - to you - and back. This is Energy Conservation Law. For the time being, no violation of this law has been found.

Have you ever met someone and instantly felt energized by the encounter?  Or have you felt drained from an interaction with someone, even a brief exchange?  Our energy fuels of our relationships with others, no matter how extensive or short-lived they may be. Some connections are highly charged, some run on low voltage. The exchange of energy happens even if there is no interaction between people.  Just being in the same space with another person can affect your energy level.

We have all experienced being in the same room with someone in a wonderful mood, full of high spirits.  You can feel their energy rise and somehow yours is raised with theirs. On the other hand, being in the presence of someone who is down and depressed, can immediately cast a shadow on yours.

Energy is something that can’t be seen or touched. But it is always there, always moving - given, shared and taken away. We feed off each other; hence we are eating each other’s energy.

*          *         *
-  Doctor, it was very difficult for me to come here. I never thought I’d need help of a psychologist. But I feel empty… emotionally numb… I lost my passion for life. Every day is a struggle; it takes all my energy to make myself continue. It’s like… I am drained… like my life has been sucked out of me. I am desperately trying to hide it. With people around me I act happy… but I am afraid, they can sense my real mood. Can they, doctor?

-  Some of them can. The most sensitive ones.  People like myself. As a therapist, I need to be very empathic. I am not a psychic, but yet I am highly sensitive to other people’s energy and emotions. I can definitely see a dark cloud around you, and even if you were doing a happy dance, I would’ve known that you are deeply depressed.

- Doctor, can I ask you a question?

- Usually I am the one asking questions here, but go ahead.

- Being around your patients, with their dark clouds, do you feel kind of drained? Like they are drawing energy out of you? Don’t they make you feel overwhelmed and exhausted?

- Yes, it happens. My job is to help people in distress. But it can happen to any of us. It’s just being around people, not necessarily troubled or grieving, but just anyone with negative energy. The only solution is to spend more time with positive people and sort of recharge of them. You know what I do when I am feeling blue? I go to the circus. It is the happiest place in the world. It makes me feel like a child. It makes me happy inside. I laugh, I cry blissful tears, I enjoy the sounds of happy kids. Especially this one act, which always picks me up – Bobby the Clown. The guy is incredible. He exudes joy. He is the happiest person, I’ve ever seen. He … how to explain… “taps into my energy”. I literally feel recharged after watching his act. You know what, you should try it. You should go to the circus and see Bobby the Clown. I promise you will feel better.

- Doctor, I am afraid this is not going to happen.

- Why? Why do you think so?

- I know so. I am Bobby the Clown.