If you open the above link you will notice that the complaint we are mentioning is written without a single punctuation mark which is a new trend especially today when people are exchanging text messages non stop and they dont want to waste time typing extra characters and they are also using abbreviations which are non traditional but in any case perfectly understandable for example r u w8ing 4me or lol or wtf or p2u4uraqtp by the wayif you still trying to understand the last one it means peace to you cause you are a cutie pie and of course it needs to be written in capital letters but we ignore capitalization because it requires using an additional key which can slow you down so why bother especially since you are getting the picture anyway.

R U?

I am not. I prefer my syntax marked up with traffic signs. I want my sentence to drive smoothly to the precise point of meaning, without getting lost, making an accident or hitting the dead end.

Period - Stop Sign.No sliding through. Full stop is required.

Comma - Flashing Yellow Light. Slow down, look left, look right, then continue.

Semicolon - Flashing Red Light. Stop briefly; then carry on.

Colon - Arrow or Road Sign. Pay attention: the following explains or adds information.

Parentheses and Dashes – Detour. Take a detour (hopefully not too far) - then proceed.

We are always in a hurry. Road signs slow us down. Some people, anxious to get to the destination, develop commaphobia. Not me.

I love the commas, I, really, honestly, do.

Comma allows me take a light breath before the next word. It gives me some time. "After dinner I went to the garden" - is a decent description of my trip for fresh air. But "After dinner, I went to the garden" gives me time to push back my chair and stand up.

I admire the power of comma. It can turn an unfair treatment of friendly creatures ("No dogs please") into a reasonable request ("No dogs, please"). It can depreciate a song lyric ("What is this thing called love?") to a banal inquiry ("What is this thing called, love?") It can make a victim (“Kill Bill”) into an assassin (“Kill, Bill”). It can critically change the verdict (“Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia.”- “Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia.”) Finally, it can give you realistic terms of purchase (“No, money down”).

I love the dashes – in abrupt change of thoughts, attribution, or series – as an emphatic pause that can – if used correctly – change the entire mood of the message.

A dash implies an awareness of cause and effect — and timing. This mature sign understands that human life is full of unexpected connections — connections too subtle for the colon and yet too important for the comma.

I love the hyphens, these words-joiners-and-separators, frequently-confused-with-dashes minus-signs.

The humble hyphen performs heroic services rescuing meaning. If you are a pickled-herring merchant, you will not want to be called a pickled herring merchant. And the difference between extra-marital sex and extra marital sex is crucial.

I love the parentheses. I often have too much to say for a single sentence. I have spontaneous spin-off thoughts (no chance, I will remember them a minute later), I have important comments (which may not fit the content, but explain a lot), I have emotions and attitude that I probably should keep to myself (yeah right).Parentheses make the narration more intimate, like the stuff that should be hidden between the lines, is secretly exposed between the brackets.

I love the quotation marks. Everyone does. Not everyone is using it for actual quotations or direct speech, thinking, “I can get away with colons, commas and capital letters”. But no one can deny the pleasure of “coded” subtext, when we say one thing, meaning another, when we express irony or sarcasm, when we exaggerate or belittle, or just fooling around. We use the quotation mark even in our verbal communication. We change our voice and facial expression. We employ the sign language and “write” the quotation signs in the air - two fingers of each hand outside the corresponding ear.

People love the quotation marks so much; they use them in wrong places just for emphasis. But instead of emphasis, they give the important words “so-called” or “not-really” sense. Or, maybe they are trying to “code” a bigger message behind a simple phrase? What could be the “real” meaning of the following “announcements”?

- Beware of “dog”

- “Fresh” chicken

- Sellersburg welcomes “president” George W Bush

- We deliver for “free”

-“Do not” flush paper towels down the toilet

- We are here to “repair” your phone

-“Cold” ice-cream

- Welcome “Friends” of the garden

There are over a dozen of punctuation marks. And I respect each and every one of them. I don’t save on characters. As for the speed-dialing-text-messengers, they don’t know what they are missing. They ignore a great abbreviating engine. For example, the most common dialog:

-how r u

can be reduced to just:

without losing any substance or clarity.

I love my punctuation marks – my road signs, my emoticons, my secret codes, tour guides of my narratives.

Hence …?!... I think so too…