The most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with!

My manuscript was picked up and contracted by the CEO of BVS. I had to agree to a 'few minor tweaks.' That turned into the editor telling me I had to change the beginning of the story and then my characters because she didn't like them. Finally she admitted that she liked the concept of the story but in her opinion it needed to be completely restructured, (or re-written into a story she liked). When I contacted the CEO he urged me to release myself from my contract after he spoke to the editor. I refused because I'd done nothing wrong. She then refused to work with me which again I found unacceptable. The CEO finally got her to agree, and I went from having 1000 words edited daily to 1000 every 12 - 14 days! Again I complained and he said if he pushed her she would drag her heels more, as if he had no control over his employees. Finally he rescinded my contract because I failed to make the necessary changes and said he was concerned with the reputation of his company! Unreal, and when I e-mailed him back to inform him I had turned down another contract when I signed with him, he ignored it entirely with a nasty I thought I made myself clear.

The complaint from Nrw York isn't about editing it's about the manner in which BVS treats their authors. If your book sells they love you.zif it doesn't they treat you horribly.Tnis lady from Rochester was willing to edit and rewrite in a timely fashion However the company did not oversea the staff properly.

This should have never been allowed to.happen.Similiar to me the covet designer couldn't figure out how to upload to Ingram so they simply didn't.

I know how to do it myself .It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out publishing. BVS is unprofessional and disrespectful to authors.Random House would never treat their authors this way.

Do not go with this publishing company. Awful, I met the CEO in England along with his office Assistant.

They don't do anything for your book that you couldn't do yourself. Against better judgement, I signed the paperwork. Very little marketing they expect you to do most of it. When your book doesn't sell communications are dismal basically none existent.

They gave me a revised contract saying any royalties below a certain threshold would not be paid. I rescued another book from this company's clutches. They have my first book which isn't making any money. He tells my, people, he owns the book.

Very dogmatic in his approach. A disgusting company to work with he took my book down in the UK and had left it on Amaxon.com. The company at the back of your book he lists all his authors and their work in YOUR book. They don't edit proofread, but they do force a new cover on you.

I said it was terrific to be nice but their cover designer doesn't have a clue. My covers were done by a top notch artist 30 years in the making. Disgusting domineering his writing is *** Writer beware do Not lose your book with this *** He also said if an author wants happy he, d release them from the contract. Another lie as well.

He uses create space to upload and publish the books something I already do myself. Case closed awful company who steals books from.authors.

Revisions are normal in the editing/publishing process...I had a similar experience with another publisher and just got on with it and made the changes...at the end of the day it was more important to me to have a good, solid story than to be stuck to my original plot line PLUS I love writing, so rewrites are enjoyable...I ended up with a better MS due to the editors input, so I think any writer who resists and editors comments will have a bad experience...they do, after all, know what they are doing...so it is a shame you had a bad experience...writers must be flexible though, that is the bottom line...

@PissedConsumer1133784

Agreed. I work in the film industry and know for a fact that no final production script is ever what one will eventually see on the screen, including from the big boys like Cameron or Spielberg.

One of my works, Dandelions, was revised to make the female protagonist male in order to accommodate the producer, and it actually worked better. You have to be flexible in the creative fields as it takes a team to make the dream happen.

Editors are here for a reason. It sounds like you were given options and instead of learning, you threw a fit.

How many other companies did you submit to who told you the same thing? If you want to become an author, you need to listen, learn and grow.

It's a process, no matter how long you've done it. Better to have an editor point out the flaws then end up with dozens of one star reviews or, even worse, no sales.

View more comments (4)
ID
Rochester, New York
Reason of review
Order processing issue

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article